The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Mar 25, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #19,621 of 22,512
Mar 26, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #19,623 of 22,512
For around this price, I'd expect to be able to send my pair in and get a specific measurement and EQ profile for it.
FYI... It cost nearly $700 round trip (with insurance and customs) to ship my TCs to Mitch... This is mainly because we are on opposite sides of the continent.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #19,624 of 22,512
Anybody using 1266TC with Riviera AIC-10? Do you prefer hi or low gain?

I selected the AIC-10 specifically for matching the AB-1266 after a very enjoyable yearlong series of auditions (details in the link in my signature).
I am still amazed by how well they go together especially when fitting the AIC-10 with the "right " tube for one's tastes.

I used to drive the Abyss from the hp out in high gain mode, then moved to speaker taps, where I find a further increase of transparency, soundstage size and resolution, dynamics swings control (bass and massed orchestral passages organization).

I got my xlr to spk out adapter custom made by Invictus Cables here in Italy (invictus.cable@hotmail.com), with a rather exotic conductors mix (palladium, gold, silver).

20220204_194915-02.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #19,625 of 22,512
I selected the AIC-10 specifically for matching the AB-1266 after a very enjoyable yearlong series of auditions (details in the link in my signature).
I am still amazed by how well they go together especially when fitting the AIC-10 with the "right " tube for one's tastes.

I used to drive the Abyss from the hp out in high gain mode, then moved to speaker taps, where I find a further increase of transparency, soundstage size and resolution, dynamics swings control (bass and massed orchestral passages organization).

I got my xlr to spk out adapter custom made by Invictus Cables here in Italy (invictus.cable@hotmail.com), with a rather exotic conductors mix (palladium, gold, silver).

How's it going with the Taiko Extreme pairing with the AB-1266 TC so far? Is it a match in heaven?:L3000:

Mar 26, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #19,626 of 22,512
I had specific design parameters for the stock cable for the original AB1266. It had to be clear to the source, low capacitance to play nice with what was then a mixed bag of headphone amps, non-microphonic, durable, and lightweight enough to not weigh down the headphone. From a cost perspective, time to assemble had to be minimized, majority of labor was devoted to the headphone itself, which means the cable itself had to be manufactured to specs that meet the above.

Later, Superconductor HP was designed as an upgrade cable for sonics, softness, etc. Conductor size needed to be as large as possible, but not too large as to weigh down or drag around a headphone that's designed to float on your head. The only way to make this cable is from the inside out, hand-made form scratch, it's time and materials intensive. And BTW aside from the connectors, it's all US made.
As a side note, with the AB1266 Complete package, Superconductor HP is the stock cable ABYSS_SMILEY_tiny.png

Hi Joe, how about making a better stock cable for the 1266, something a bit more ergonomic? I would like to see the flagship 1266 be paired with a better feeling cable and I know I'm not alone in that. I find a light and easy cable turns the 1266 into a very easy to wear headphone but a tough cable, like the stock one, leaves me wrestling with it every few minutes and makes the entire experience annoying.

I have edited my post to make it clear that it was just my opinion that the filler material added nothing to the sound. I usually make that pretty clear.

Last edited:
ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Mar 26, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #19,628 of 22,512
There is no scenario where the superconductor cable is worth anywhere near 2,000 dollars

Sorry
Edit. There’s no scenario for you.

I guess you never learned that what something is worth is what you’re willing to pay.

I’m sure you get the vast majority of the population that’ll say that there is no scenario where is the headphone itself is worth $6500.

If you have a Ferrari, don’t bitch about the price of high test.

Mar 26, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #19,629 of 22,512
Edit. There’s no scenario for you.

I guess you never learned that what something is worth is what you’re willing to pay.

I’m sure you get the vast majority of the population that’ll say that there is no scenario where is the headphone itself is worth $6500.

If you have a Ferrari, don’t bitch about the price of high test.
I get it

You’re totally right. Hell I even own expensive gear myself. But the cables. Man those cable prices are tough to take seriously. But yeah I agree value is where people place it

Mar 26, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #19,630 of 22,512
I get it

You’re totally right. Hell I even own expensive gear myself. But the cables. Man those cable prices are tough to take seriously. But yeah I agree value is where people place it
Or to take it a step further, my Harley is completely black in the engine. Of course none of the bolts on the bike are because they sell kits black bolt so you can buy them and swap them out. Came out to like 8 bucks a bolt. I said to the guy at the parts counter that it was crazy. He said only if you buy it. The only thing crazier than that was that I spent $650 on a torque wrench.

Mar 26, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #19,631 of 22,512
How's it going with the Taiko Extreme pairing with the AB-1266 TC so far? Is it a match in heaven?:L3000:

Indeed it is, the AB-1266 has always scaled up very nicely with any of my system upgrades over the years, making the subtle ones easier to understand and the major ones (like the arrival of the Extreme) very apparent and satisfying.

Mar 26, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #19,633 of 22,512
Like an addict, I've built up a tolerance to TC bass. It's not enough anymore. I put a low shelf on to bring about more bass, and it worked for a little bit and for some albums, but it distorted a bit. I think I'll buy those filters next week. Maybe they'll give me more bass goodness. I need a dedicated, soundproof listening room for speakers and a sub. Some day perhaps :thinking:

Mar 26, 2022 at 11:57 PM Post #19,634 of 22,512
Just you might like to see what's going on in Roon with the new filters.

D57FDCF2-C6C8-473D-9C7E-B5DC4B1611D7.png
I was out mountain biking all day today, but tomorrow is “rest day” and I’ll for sure be trying out these filters in Roon as well.

Mar 27, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #19,635 of 22,512
Like an addict, I've built up a tolerance to TC bass. It's not enough anymore. I put a low shelf on to bring about more bass, and it worked for a little bit and for some albums, but it distorted a bit. I think I'll buy those filters next week. Maybe they'll give me more bass goodness. I need a dedicated, soundproof listening room for speakers and a sub. Some day perhaps :thinking:
more bass ?....damn you hardcore lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back