The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Sep 13, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #17,581 of 22,596
I got a subwoofer (KEF Kube 8b) to pair with the Raal SR1a, as is advised by many current and former SR1a users. The integration (sonically) is seamless, and the results are mighty impressive.

unnamed.jpg

Prompted me to create the table below comparing my SR1a, Susvara and the TC. Sharing it on the TC thread, because the TC is still untouchable, to my ears.

Each score is out of 10. I have reserved the right to give a score higher than 10, where applicable, lol.

1.png
2.PNG
Also, this is not intended to be a water-tight and exhaustive list of parameters, but those that came to my mind.

And as always, YMMV. :)
How does this even work? Does the Subwoofer just play in the background or is it connected to Raal’s somehow?

Sep 13, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #17,583 of 22,596
The Raal is connected to the amp. The sub is also connected to the amp via subwoofer outs.
Got it, I was wondering how that worked, thanks!

Sep 13, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #17,584 of 22,596
Hi I am seriously considering the 1266TC as my next step up this ladder. The Susvara is the other option.
I have the Burson 3XR , will this drive this HP suitably . Does anyone have any experience with this pairing?

Sep 13, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #17,585 of 22,596
I got a subwoofer (KEF Kube 8b) to pair with the Raal SR1a, as is advised by many current and former SR1a users. The integration (sonically) is seamless, and the results are mighty impressive.

unnamed.jpg

Prompted me to create the table below comparing my SR1a, Susvara and the TC. Sharing it on the TC thread, because the TC is still untouchable, to my ears.

Each score is out of 10. I have reserved the right to give a score higher than 10, where applicable, lol.

1.png
2.PNG
Also, this is not intended to be a water-tight and exhaustive list of parameters, but those that came to my mind.

You use a sub with headphones? That is new to me. So, essentially the SR1A is then exactly speakers that hang from your head. Is that correct? Tks.

Sep 13, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #17,587 of 22,596
Yup. They are like near field monitors!
I wonder if the same can be done with TC or Susvaras too and how they'd sound. TC likely doesn't need it, but maybe it will be an interesting experiment with the Susvara.

Sep 13, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #17,589 of 22,596

This is Amazing and definitely agree with all your numbers. Only thing I would add is comfort and ability to alter sound points but apart from that you have nailed it 🤘🤘🤘

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #17,590 of 22,596
The SR1A gets a -50 in the design, I literally cannot look at a picture of someone wearing that abomination without laughing lol. I thought the 1266 looked weird when I first saw it but the SR1A is just.... what in the actual f

Sep 13, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #17,591 of 22,596
The SR1A gets a -50 in the design, I literally cannot look at a picture of someone wearing that abomination without laughing lol. I thought the 1266 looked weird when I first saw it but the SR1A is just.... what in the actual f
Lol so true. I was always like: "I don't care how do my headphones look until they sound fantastic and are comfortable enough".

Then I saw SR1A for the first time

Sep 13, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #17,592 of 22,596

unnamed.jpg

1.png
2.PNG

So crazy how you weren't so into the TC initially. LOL Absurdity.

Sep 14, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #17,595 of 22,596
I wonder if the same can be done with TC or Susvaras too and how they'd sound. TC likely doesn't need it, but maybe it will be an interesting experiment with the Susvara.

Yes, I used a sub with the TC and Susvara, but the effect isn't what I'd call an improvement. With the SR1a, a woofer was practically a game-changer. Their bass is now primarily limited by the quality of the sub.

unnamed.jpg

1.png
2.PNG

Appreciate the time that went into this. I agree with pretty much every point. A higher end sub with an EQ would sound better still. I've maintained from the beginning that the TC is the best overall headphone, but with my sub in my room, the SR1a is just more impressive for most genres.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back