The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 29, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #826 of 22,511

Firstly, I should say the source was as follows: NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC>Burson Soloist/Woo WA22/Woo WA5>Abyss.

He. I also have a WA22 and a HD800. I'd like to know if the WA22 provides enough power with the Abyss

Best regards
dt880smile.png

Nov 29, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #827 of 22,511

He. I also have a WA22 and a HD800. I'd like to know if the WA22 provides enough power with the Abyss

Best regards
dt880smile.png

Does it have "enough" power? Yes. In fact many people seem to like running their Abyss off portable rigs. 

Will it bring out the most from the Abyss? Absolutely not.

Of course it goes without saying that it is always best if you can test it out on the WA22 yourself and see if you are satisfied.  

Hope that answers your question. :)

Nov 29, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #828 of 22,511

Best regards
dt880smile.png

In general, I've preferred the Abyss from solid-state or tube hybrid (solid-state output stage) amps. Otherwise kind of soft and mushy.

Nov 29, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #829 of 22,511

In general, I've preferred the Abyss from solid-state or tube hybrid (solid-state output stage) amps. Otherwise kind of soft and mushy.

Pretty much sums up my experience with all orthos that I've tried with tube amps.

Nov 30, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #830 of 22,511

Did you find the Abyss to scale up with some of the more powerful SS amps? Something like the Dynahi, Balanced Beta, GSX-2, have you had the chance to hear this headphone on amps of that level? I know you've had dealings with these amps in the past. 

Nov 30, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #831 of 22,511

Pretty much sums up my experience with all orthos that I've tried with tube amps.

I am at the same impression like two of you
With tube amp sound so live less , in the same thing with my Stax headphone withSolis state sound much more live
IMO

Nov 30, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #832 of 22,511
Does it have "enough" power? Yes. In fact many people seem to like running their Abyss off portable rigs. 

Will it bring out the most from the Abyss? Absolutely not.

Of course it goes without saying that it is always best if you can test it out on the WA22 yourself and see if you are satisfied.  

Hope that answers your question. :)

With portable rigs like my set up

Source : iPhone 4S mod
Dac : cypher class Class Solo old
Amp : ALO Rx 3 B
Headphone : Abyss 1266

Overall the power and SQ better than wa 22
IMO

Nov 30, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #833 of 22,511
I use my JPS Abyss with my MalValve Three amplifier which drives it very well enough
in balanced in and out.
However I prefer more using the Abyss with speaker post of my David Berning ZOTL ZH230
which drives it the best, with the best bass in term of power , layering and extension and excellent
dynamic. I also have the tube sound that I like combining with the power to drive the Abyss to
its potential and it is more life like as speakers
I haven't heard with the Liquid gold yet but I am satisfied now , how's about the GSX mkII comparing
with the liquid gold or Woo WA22 or Woo monoblock?

Nov 30, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #834 of 22,511
I prefer it with tubes (B52 for one). But then again, I seem to prefer everything with tubes, so take it with a grain of salt.
It's one *great* headphone though, everything so nicely fleshed out and not hyped or cringe-inducing.

Nov 30, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #835 of 22,511
  Did you find the Abyss to scale up with some of the more powerful SS amps? Something like the Dynahi, Balanced Beta, GSX-2, have you had the chance to hear this headphone on amps of that level? I know you've had dealings with these amps in the past. 

Pretty much what Kiertijau said on the bass quality, articulation, and control in terms of scaling up. I didn't like the Abyss from the GSX2, even with a ladder DAC (MSB Analog in this case). A bit etched in the treble, even with my tweaks on the Abyss. (GSX2 is a better match with HE-500 and LCD2/3.) Dynahi would be a good bet with the Abyss, at least with of the builds I've heard. I'm probably going to opt more in favor of tube resolution and micro-dynamics than ultimate (but still very good) bass control by going with amp with paralleled 45 tubes. I like to be able to hear what my DACs can do. SS always seems to subtract a little bit while tubes add what's not supposed to be there. Whatever tickles our fancy.

If anything else, maybe the Schiit Rag. Early reports from those who have heard the prototype: it resolves like crazy. I figure we can pop in a tube front end stage later.

Jan 11, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #836 of 22,511
For information.

These are objective measures of Abyss versus HE 500 performed by a French forumeur

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post177948197.html#p177948197

Responses abyss: yellow = pad pressed against measurement frame, blue = less sealed​, pink = even less sealed

SPL responses equalized in the medium : blue = abyss, yellow = HE500
(NB: the level of the Abyss is actually 8 dB lower than that of the HE 500)

Comments?

For me, the adjustment for sealing pads seems important to have a flat bass response.
Note the hump level at 1 KHz, a bit like a Stax 009, giving more presence to the voice in the medium.

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #837 of 22,511
The bass response (70-80 Hz) of the Abyss objectively varies by nearly 10 dB, depending on the seal or not of the pads.

According to several people who have tested the Abyss, sealing pads seems impossible.

Can we talk of true fidelity about this headphone with a response bass heightened by nearly 10 dB if sealing pads impossible ?
(as if we were to increase the bass of +10 dB with the bass potentiometer of an Hi-Fi amplifier to have more spectacular bass).

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #838 of 22,511
Jan 11, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #840 of 22,511
According to several people who have tested the Abyss, sealing pads seems impossible.

That's interesting. I've had half a dozen people come over to my place and from what I am aware, none of them had a problem with getting a good seal, if they so wished. It was simply a matter of rotating the cushions so the thickest part rested on the nape of the neck instead of directly behind the ears.

Moderate seal:

Good seal:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back