The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Aug 1, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #436 of 22,437
>>I am a huge fan of the Abyss. Nothing to be ashamed about here. Some people cant admit they are
>>stax (or any other make/model) fanboys and pretend they are absolutely objective in their assessment.

citadel - i strongly suggest you bring this beef somewhere else or pm the aforementioned person directly.......

Aug 1, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #437 of 22,437
So the remarks that I replied to are not to be mentioned? I suggest you or anyone else not post such personally directed messages. It's downright hypocritical. All this because I had suspicions that the amp that was used may not be technically adequate for driving the Abyss..

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #438 of 22,437
downright hypocritical?? how about you ranting about stax fanboy/fangirl thing??

what qualifies you to say that this / that amp not adequate for driving abyss? you an engineer? amp builder? making such unwarranted claims without even hearing ? just because some guys thing that you're favorite headphone is not as stellar as 009 and you jump out and accused the amp is not adequate? do you aware that power is not everything needed to drive a headphone? have you heard about slew rate??

nobody mind anyone becoming fanboy, but when that fanboy got blinded and start crossing the line then it becomes eyesore

the guy you referred to didn't not even reply to your rant anymore......guess you're in his ignore list as much as yours in mine

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #439 of 22,437
Quote:
what qualifies you to say that this / that amp not adequate for driving abyss? you an engineer? amp builder? making such unwarranted claims without even hearing ? just because some guys thing that you're favorite headphone is not as stellar as 009 and you jump out and accused the amp is not adequate? do you aware that power is not everything needed to drive a headphone? have you heard about slew rate??

I can tell you that I have read many recommendations on how to drive the HE6, most of which state that the headphones need around 5W at 40-50ohms to not sound bright. From my own limited personal experience, I would have to agree with this.

I dont know if you own a pair of HE6's, but please read some threads regarding this. As for the slew rate, that is fair enough. However, are you saying that something that outputs less than half the "recommended" output can make up for it in the slew rate (this is a serious question btw, I am not an engineer and do not have proficient technical knowledge in this area)?

Can we all agree to drop any attacks (of all forms)? Most of mine have been in retaliation to comments made by a particular user who just blindly badmouthed the Abyss (saying its only good at bass) and criticised it for its looks and price. This 'fanboy' comment I made was done because I got quite angry with such unfair criticisms. It felt sabotagical since I got the impression that such posters didnt own or demo them substantially. I also found some posts directed a Joe a tad bit disrespectful. I would be grateful (liking the Abyss or not) if he explained the design process and decisions.

I dont think I deserved the "crossing the line fanboy" comment from inferring my own and other people's experiences with the HE6 to the Abyss. This is purely an observational comment. I did say I trusted the reviewers feedback with regards to this amp.

Now, I never personally said I thought Stax was not as good. I merely rebutted some ill conceived comments. I may love Stax headphones as much or even more than this Abyss if I demoed them. Please, if you are a Stax fan, dont take my earlier comments as anti-Stax, but rather "In defense of the Abyss and proper evaluating".

Ladies and gentlemen, I apologise to you all if my comments and it's responses have dominated this thread. Again, my main objective was to rebutt some ill-focused comments towards the Abyss. The emphasis should be moreso on its sound signature (and analysis, measurements) rather than the price/looks (Again,I love the looks of the headphone) or claiming it has the intention to "wipe away" competitors like Stax, Sennheiser and Audeze..

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #440 of 22,437
Maybe you should accept that abyss is still not the perfect headphone for everyone. Any other comments you made are just being defensive, and posting unreliable reviews like ones from cnet are not helping you either.

And blaming amps, while on some occasions might be the case, it's completely wrong for you to blame bakoon, it's an undeniably strong and good amp, and I already tried pairing it with abyss

It is a big leap from JPS lab to release a headphone with a big price margin compared to the other planar headphone. This is making other people taking stance against it. while the STAX lovers doesn't like the character of the sound, the planar lovers won't say much because of the price. And other people expecting something really perfect from the price tag will be disappointed.

p.s. saying "in defense of the abyss" won't help you getting your credibility back. Just reminds me of a person from my previous forum, defending his LCD-2 (he even said his LCD-2 is "special") and beta22 like there is no tomorrow

Aug 2, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #441 of 22,437
Quote:
Maybe you should accept that abyss is still not the perfect headphone for everyone. Any other comments you made are just being defensive, and posting unreliable reviews like ones from cnet are not helping you either.

I and others posted a number of other review. Also, what is soo wrong with his review?

Quote:

And blaming amps, while on some occasions might be the case, it's completely wrong for you to blame bakoon, it's an undeniably strong and good amp, and I already tried pairing it with abyss

Im not "blaming" the amp. I simply questioned it being the best pairing for the headphone because I have never heard anyone else try to pair this with the Abyss.

Quote:

It is a big leap from JPS lab to release a headphone with a big price margin compared to the other planar headphone. This is making other people taking stance against it. while the STAX lovers doesn't like the character of the sound, the planar lovers won't say much because of the price. And other people expecting something really perfect from the price tag will be disappointed.

Your opinion, as stated before. We already on to the price thing again. Quite ridiculous.

Quote:

p.s. saying "in defense of the abyss" won't help you getting your credibility back. Just reminds me of a person from my previous forum, defending his LCD-2 (he even said his LCD-2 is "special") and beta22 like there is no tomorrow

LCD-2 is special btw. Is it wrong for people to express their admiration for a nice pair of cans?
The credibility comment is quite immature.

Did I ever say these are the best headphones ever btw? Never once. I have pointed to a few reviews that do say this, though :wink:

Aug 2, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #442 of 22,437
Quote:
>>I dont know if you own a pair of HE6's, but please read some threads regarding this. As for the slew rate, that is fair enough. However, are you >>saying that something that outputs less than half the "recommended" output can make up for it in the slew rate (this is a serious question >>btw, I am not an engineer and do not have proficient technical knowledge in this area)?

I dont own HE-6.....and me not engineer too. So cannot answer you questions

>>Now, I never personally said I thought Stax was not as good. I merely rebutted some ill conceived comments. I may love Stax headphones as >>much or even more than this Abyss if I demoed them. Please, if you are a Stax fan, dont take my earlier comments as anti-Stax, but rather >>"In defense of the Abyss and proper evaluating".

Well said......

>>Ladies and gentlemen, I apologise to you all if my comments and it's responses have dominated this thread. Again, my main objective was to >>rebutt some ill-focused comments towards the Abyss. The emphasis should be moreso on its sound signature (and analysis, measurements) >>rather than the price/looks (Again,I love the looks of the headphone) or claiming it has the intention to "wipe away" competitors like Stax, >>Sennheiser and Audeze..

You're back on my white list again......

Aug 2, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #443 of 22,437
Quote:
I and others posted a number of other review. Also, what is soo wrong with his review?

Im not "blaming" the amp. I simply questioned it being the best pairing for the headphone because I have never heard anyone else try to pair this with the Abyss.

Your opinion, as stated before. We already on to the price thing again. Quite ridiculous.

LCD-2 is special btw. Is it wrong for people to express their admiration for a nice pair of cans?
The credibility comment is quite immature.

Did I ever say these are the best headphones ever btw? Never once. I have pointed to a few reviews that do say this, though :wink:

Read again what defqon wrote about cnet's review, I'm not explaining any further than that

I'm more surprised by Joe telling Tyll to use burson conductor to review the abyss rather than using bakoon, yet the conductor delivers.

I don't think you can separate price issues with abyss though, I imagine dozens of people would buy the abyss if the price is similar or lower than LCD-3

About LCD-2, yes, I own and love LCD-2 as well, but he said his LCD-2 is better than any other LCD-2 in the world. Tried his LCD-2, can't find any difference lol

You never said it directly, but the stance you're taking against SR-009 implicitly saying that

Aug 2, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #444 of 22,437
I would really be itching to demo the abyss. I've said in my previous post, after tyll review, I'm intrigued by this headphone. Owning stats have its own headache. Dust, imbalance issue, etc. so far i feel advantages in SQ still merits the disadvantages. But if an easier maintenance headphone exists and better SQ than the 009, why not......I personally feel TH900 is one of the dynamic i can live with if stats didnt exists...and this abyss is better than th900, makes me even more curious

Aug 2, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #445 of 22,437
Quote:
Read again what defqon wrote about cnet's review, I'm not explaining any further than that

If that is the reviewer's honest opinion and taste, then who are we to criticise? He did not make any outrageous claims about the Abyss versus the sr-009 imo. Tyll and others have backed his positive points for the Abyss. It's obvious that these cans are his cup of tea. Like others have said, those you have a strong affinity for the Stax signature might not necessarily like these cans. It's quite obvious that the CNET review loves planar dynamics (since he loves his LCD3). To quote him:

"The AB-1266's dynamic range capabilities radically advance the state of the art, the $5,200 Stax SR 009 headphone may be the equal of the AB-1266's transparency and sound staging, but the SR 009's dynamic kicks and bass oomph aren't remotely in the AB-1266's league."
I find this comment fair (it's a subjective assessment). In fact, he gave the Sr-009 more credit than some, with regards to sound staging. Many would say the Abyss has a better sound stage. He makes no mention of highs, so again, one can assume he is more of a planar dynamic man.

Quote:
I'm more surprised by Joe telling Tyll to use burson conductor to review the abyss rather than using bakoon, yet the conductor delivers.

Im a little surprised too. Tyll should have use the LAu IMO. However, any review he does would be much appreciated. I still wonder what amps Joe used during R&D.

Quote:
I don't think you can separate price issues with abyss though, I imagine dozens of people would buy the abyss if the price is similar or lower than LCD-3

Again, I would have to make the same argument with Stax. Sorry, but the HD800 is soo damn good for the price ($1499). In the other Abyss thread, someone estimated that the cables that come with the cans may be close to $3000 or some similar figure.

Quote:
You never said it directly, but the stance you're taking against SR-009 implicitly saying that

Again, I just highlight contrary opinions to people who think these headphones are either over-priced or a "wanna-be" summit-fi can.

Aug 2, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #446 of 22,437
For what it's worth, I much prefered the sound of the Stax SR-009 on a lowly amp like the SRM-323s than the Abyss on a Mjolnir. I can live with slightly less bass impact, but I can't live with unrestrained, strident treble energy (see: distortion) and a mid-fi midrange on a $5.5k headphone. Your mileage may vary though.

Aug 2, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #447 of 22,437
Quote:

If that is the reviewer's honest opinion and taste, then who are we to criticise? He did not make any outrageous claims about the Abyss versus the sr-009 imo. Tyll and others have backed his positive points for the Abyss. It's obvious that these cans are his cup of tea. Like others have said, those you have a strong affinity for the Stax signature might not necessarily like these cans. It's quite obvious that the CNET review loves planar dynamics (since he loves his LCD3). 

The thing is, the part I bold is highly questionable from him 
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree on the part that Tyll should use LAu, the results must be even better, but Joe might want to make people think that we don't need such amazing amp to drive abyss

Again, I would have to make the same argument with Stax. Sorry, but the HD800 is soo damn good for the price ($1499). In the other Abyss thread, someone estimated that the cables that come with the cans may be close to $3000 or some similar figure.

Agree again on this part, SR-009 is good, but I also question whether the difference made is worth the price. Tried 009 once, albeit without BHSE, but I don't really want it. As forbigger said, the maintenance is way too much hassle for me

Btw, 3000$ cable is way too much for me to comprehend lol

And lastly, I do believe abyss is a summit-fi cans, but it is still not perfect in terms of SQ (The treble is so-so IMO), if you're willing to discuss about the aesthetic part, yes, it also looks ugly, but people's preferences are different and the only headphone which form and color I love are only TH900 and HD800, so I'll refrain from talking about this any further

Aug 2, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #448 of 22,437
Quote:
For what it's worth, I much prefered the sound of the Stax SR-009 on a lowly amp like the SRM-323s than the Abyss on a Mjolnir. I can live with slightly less bass impact, but I can't live with unrestrained, strident treble energy (see: distortion) and a mid-fi midrange on a $5.5k headphone. Your mileage may vary though.

I guess you wont like the HD800s treble then (or even Th900 perhaps). That's fine. Here is how Purrin rates the treble:

Overall treble (6k to 20k) balance:
HD800 brightest
TH900 slightly bright
Abyss just right
LCD3 very laid-back

Some regard the Schiit Mjolnir to be a pretty bright amp. If true, this might not be a good pairing (as you have perhaps observed).

Aug 2, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #450 of 22,437
The last portion of Tyll's review was subjective comparisons to the best of the best headphone set-ups and there was a bit of a time constraint. While I would have loved to have a LAu sent his way, the one and only preproduction unit available at the time was unfortunately on a Fed Ex truck headed toward a meet. Tyll was using the EF-6 and I felt he could use some contrast. The Burson Conductor has a tonal balance that better matches the AB-1266, has the power to drive them, and was available to ship to Tyll for the next day, so it was done.

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back