the jimi hendrix experience bbc sessions?
Dec 16, 2006 at 10:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bonethugz

500+ Head-Fier
anybody know how's the quality of this double cd? for a non hendrix fan. does it worth keeping? i got this as a present, early christmas present i guess. or if not, what should i exchange for?

Dec 16, 2006 at 12:23 PM Post #2 of 7
You dont' like Hendrix?
confused.gif

Dec 16, 2006 at 12:58 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by milesbeyondjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You dont' like Hendrix?
confused.gif

no, or i don't know much about him and his music. and as for exchange, i meant other hendrix

Dec 16, 2006 at 1:58 PM Post #4 of 7
The BBC Sessions discs, I feel, are more for hardcore Hendrix fans who are interested in the many different ways Hendrix plays the same songs. I don't find it an essential Hendrix album, although there are some nice moments, and some rare tracks.

If you can swap for other Hendrix albums, go for the original three albums, i.e. Are You Experienced?, Axis: Bold as Love or Electric Ladyland. The albums are progressively more experimental.

Dec 17, 2006 at 12:33 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The BBC Sessions discs, I feel, are more for hardcore Hendrix fans who are interested in the many different ways Hendrix plays the same songs. I don't find it an essential Hendrix album, although there are some nice moments, and some rare tracks.

If you can swap for other Hendrix albums, go for the original three albums, i.e. Are You Experienced?, Axis: Bold as Love or Electric Ladyland. The albums are progressively more experimental.

thanks Jubei. i don't mind keeping the cd if the music AND the cd audio quality is good. is it?

Dec 17, 2006 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 7
Regards to SQ, it is no better or worse than most Hendrix discs. Even his 3 official albums do not offer great SQ. Being BBC sessions, they were recorded in BBC studios live, which offers some sort of promise that it is not as crap as some of the live Hendrix discs you could end up getting.

www.allmusic.com has the following write-up:

These are the recordings that Jimi Hendrix made for BBC radio in the late '60s. As such, they're loose, informal, and off-the-top-of-his-head improvisational fun. These versions of the hits "Foxey Lady," "Fire," two versions of "Purple Haze," and "Hey Joe" stay surprisingly close to the studio versions, but the tone of Hendrix's guitar on these is positively blistering and worth the price of admission alone. There's also a lot of blues on this two-disc collection, and Hendrix's versions of "Hoochie Coochie Man" (with Alexis Korner on slide guitar), "Catfish Blues," "Killing Floor," and "Hear My Train A-Comin'" find him in excellent form. But perhaps the best example of how loosely conceived these sessions were are the oddball covers that Hendrix tackles, including Stevie Wonder's "I Was Made to Love Her" (featuring Wonder on drums), Dylan's "Can You Please Crawl out Your Window?," The Beatles' "Day Tripper," and, in recognition of his immediate competition, Cream's "Sunshine of Your Love." No lo-fi bootleg tapes here (everything's from the original masters and gone over by Eddie Kramer), the music and sound are class-A all the way, making a worthwhile addition to anyone's Hendrix collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back