The "It Sounds Too Real" Thread
Jun 10, 2008 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

GN85

100+ Head-Fier
Yesterday I was browsing the forum, reading random threads. I stumbled upon the "What Are You Listening To Right Now" thread, and just when I was going to post the song I was listening to (Boards of Canada - Julie and Candy), I heard something in front of me ticking to the beat of the song. I told myself what the hell? My computer monitor can't be ticking to the beat of the song, that just makes no sense. So I took off my triple-fis, and.... NO WAY!! That ticking actually came from my earphones!
eek.gif
I sounded so real that I actually had to check a second time, to make sure I wasn't crazy.

Any of you have heard songs that made you wonder if what you were hearing was too real to be coming out of your phones? Or perhaps songs that just sounded totally different on high end phones?

Jun 10, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #2 of 7
I can't remember a specific, but I have had that happen. Similar, and much more uncomfortable, is to hear something that sounds like sirens on the car stereo and think they're real.

Jun 10, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 7
Yeah that happened to me listening to Modest Mouse's Steam Engenius (off We Were Dead...). There's one point in the song where an alarm like sound soars over the music (about 1:36 into the song, happens again at 3:34). The first time I heard that I was in my car and I swore it was my radar detector going off with the laser alarm.

And, of course, there are binaural recordings. Virtual Haircut just amazes me, particularly when the guy pulls up a chair to play the guitar. With eyes shut you can just swear someone is in the room right over there, in a chair with a guitar.

Jun 10, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #5 of 7
I remember an advertisement on the radio which was binaural. I can't remember the details, but there was a sequence of "up-here", "back here" "over here", and each one had a precise location.

Jun 11, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by bungle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't remember a specific, but I have had that happen. Similar, and much more uncomfortable, is to hear something that sounds like sirens on the car stereo and think they're real.

Haha yeah that happened to me a few times. One of Neneh Cherry's songs has annoying sirens in it. I remember listening to that song in at school; thought an ambulance climbed up to the third floor and made its way into the computer lab I was in.
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2008 at 10:31 AM Post #7 of 7
"Verlaine: Part Two La Bleue" from Absinthe by John Zorn's Naked City. There's a sound from about 52 seconds in which sounds exactly like it's inside. your. skull.
eek.gif
It's just a really quiet crackle/rustle (it gets more prominent as the track goes on), and sounds like earwax shifting or the bones in the back of the head knitting or something else ghastly and disturbing. Trust Zorn to get his listeners worrying about what's in their heads ...
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back