THE INTRUDER by RSA. balanced dac/amp. . Update available for even better sound. Just pay shipping.
Jan 19, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #421 of 687
Jan 21, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #423 of 687
  Just pulled the trigger on this! Time to order some balanced plugs for my HE-400's.

I look forward to your impressions. 

Jan 24, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #425 of 687
I've been meaning to post for a while.  A while back somehow I managed to break off the power switch to my RSA Intruder, living in Chicago I called Ray who lives in a suburb and he invited me over.  Not only was Ray delightful and very funny (I brought my wife), but he fixed the switch which required a bit of work, for free, which was unexpected since it was clearly my fault. 

Not only are Ray's amps top class, with the Intruder being one of the few audio items I have that I never consider selling, but he's a hell of a nice guy and provided me with great customer service.  Enjoying my ASG-2's right now through the balanced section of Ray's amp, which he also gave me s*** for because I was using the amp single ended at the time.  Switching to balanced was MORE than worth it.  If you have the Intruder and have not heard the balanced section, then do yourself a favor a GO FOR IT!

Anyways, +1 to Ray's amps and +2 to Ray's service, thanks for building an incredible amp/DAC in the Intruder.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jan 24, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #426 of 687
  I've been meaning to post for a while.  A while back somehow I managed to break off the power switch to my RSA Intruder, living in Chicago I called Ray who lives in a suburb and he invited me over.  Not only was Ray delightful and very funny (I brought my wife), but he fixed the switch which required a bit of work, for free, which was unexpected since it was clearly my fault. 

Not only are Ray's amps top class, with the Intruder being one of the few audio items I have that I never consider selling, but he's a hell of a nice guy and provided me with great customer service.  Enjoying my ASG-2's right now through the balanced section of Ray's amp, which he also gave me s*** for because I was using the amp single ended at the time.  Switching to balanced was MORE than worth it.  If you have the Intruder and have not heard the balanced section, then do yourself a favor a GO FOR IT!

Anyways, +1 to Ray's amps and +2 to Ray's service, thanks for building an incredible amp/DAC in the Intruder.

Yep, they are built for a lifetime of use and beyond. The thing is, his stuff is military grade, rugged and totally tested. Well sometimes the military has some problems so I guess, better than military grade. :^)

Not using the balanced mode is like walking with one leg while you hold the other one up. Well anyway, that is my analogy. In fact, I don't think I have tried the Intruder or 71b more than a couple of times single ended. Hard to find people like Ray. He is rare. 

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #427 of 687
Mine arrived yesterday, but I think the battery is faulty. I had it on charge for 6hours before switching the unit on, and it isn't accepting any charge (battery is flat, but the charge light on the charger is green) The unit will only work when the charger is connected. Have emailed Ray about it. Awaiting response.
A bit disappointing to have such an expensive unit arrive faulty. :-/

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #428 of 687

Just received my new intruder with sticker "Your DAC section has been enhanced",
Thanks Ray : )

When did you send your Intruder ? I sent my SR71b for the Intruder update and didn't get it yet, it's been almost 2 weeks now with no replies.  Maybe he is very busy.  Busy is good for the business :)

Jan 27, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #430 of 687
To be honest I had a SR71B revised too but did not really like the sound after revising. To me I preferred the original sound.

Isn't just the high gain update ? from 16 to 22 something like that so you can drive HE6 ?
By the way how long it took you to get that done ? Mine is getting bit longer than expected. :frowning2:

Jan 27, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #431 of 687
It was about a couple weeks. It had been done revised long time ago since Ray announced the first time.

The original sound was more musical than the latter which sounds more on analytical side to me.

Isn't just the high gain update ? from 16 to 22 something like that so you can drive HE6 ?
By the way how long it took you to get that done ? Mine is getting bit longer than expected. :frowning2:

Jan 27, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #432 of 687

When did you send your Intruder ? I sent my SR71b for the Intruder update and didn't get it yet, it's been almost 2 weeks now with no replies.  Maybe he is very busy.  Busy is good for the business :)

Just received my new intruder with sticker "Your DAC section has been enhanced",
Thanks Ray : )

Guys, which shipping service did you use? Someone told me once that you need to use of the major courier companies shipping goods to Ray's. Apparently the USPS service is not that good were he lives, is that true? I need to send mine very soon and want to make sure it reaches him. Does he need to get money transferred for shipping the unit back to me?

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #433 of 687
Guys, which shipping service did you use? Someone told me once that you need to use of the major courier companies shipping goods to Ray's. Apparently the USPS service is not that good were he lives, is that true? I need to send mine very soon and want to make sure it reaches him. Does he need to get money transferred for shipping the unit back to me?

Yes I read that too, for me USPS is the best because it has the partnership with Canada Post, no brokerage fee even anything over $200.
But I sent mine by FedEx ground, make sure you pay little more for the Signature so that you know he (the receiver) accepted the package.

In the past I reimburse him the shipping fee by paypal to verify that SR71b was working as expected.

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #434 of 687
Yes I read that too, for me USPS is the best because it has the partnership with Canada Post, no brokerage fee even anything over $200.
But I sent mine by FedEx ground, make sure you pay little more for the Signature so that you know he (the receiver) accepted the package.

In the past I reimburse him the shipping fee by paypal to verify that SR71b was working as expected.

Thanks for the tips, I'll do the same.

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #435 of 687

i no send it to them, i buy another new unit : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back