The Instrumental / Accoustic Guitar Recommendations Thread
Jun 27, 2003 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

nanahachi

Head-Fi FAQ(s) Volunteer
I have always loved the sound of nice, clean guitar music. It could be an "Unplugged" CD, like Nirvana's or Alice in Chains', or something along the lines of Segovia. Rock, classical, flamenco...the style doesnt matter, as long as the guitar work sounds great, and is nice and clear to hear (not muffled). I am having a hard time getting used to country/western/blue grass however...

Lobstersan previously recommended the following to me:
Quote:

Originally posted by LobsterSan
Here are a few of my more laid-back acoustic guitar picks:
Keller Williams - Laugh
This is just a fun album with some quirky lyrics and some great guitar work along the lines of Phish or the String Cheese Incident (actually, Keller Williams has worked with String Cheese Incident before). KFOG had Keller Williams come in for a live from the archives session not too long ago, and the set he did in studio was pretty great. Unfortunately, I can't find a copy of that, so here is the album from which he took most of those songs.

Tim Reynolds - Stream
I first got hip to Tim Reynolds from the concert he did with Dave Matthews. He just is a terrific guitarist.

The Guitar Collection (A Chesky Records Compilation)
This is a little sampler from Chesky Records that gives you about 15 tracks of wonderfully recorded guitar music from all influences of the world.

I've been meaning to order the Chesky CD, but havent...

Right now I popped in a coworker's Earl Klugh "Solo Guitar," and while it isnt earth shattering, its really pleasant to listen to.

Your recommendations don't have to be tailored to my taste, they could just be albums with GREAT guitar work. That way, if someone ever searches for guitar rec.s, maybe they'll run across this thread and get some usefull ideas.

Thanks!!
rs1smile.gif

Jun 27, 2003 at 6:54 PM Post #4 of 31
California Guitar Trio
Al DiMeola (spanish-ish)

Jun 27, 2003 at 9:14 PM Post #6 of 31
Man I wish I could recommend Renán Cerón (mentioned in this thread) since I've been really enjoying his purely acoustic albums with his acoustic guitar taking the main role, but he's unfortunately not famous enough to have his albums easily found in shops. Oh well maybe in a year or two he'll get some well-deserved fame
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2003 at 3:01 AM Post #11 of 31
Robert Michaels - Utopia Flamenco style guitar with a classical touch, that's how I remember it since I haven't listened to it in a long while. They're all instrumental songs so you get even more guitar goodness.

Jun 28, 2003 at 1:29 PM Post #13 of 31
Tesla- Five Man Acoustical Jam

Neil Young- Unplugged

Lynyrd Skynyrd- Endangered Species

Blue Riders Trio- Preachin The Blues

Keb Mo- Keb Mo

Kelly's Lot- Trio

The Blues Riders Trio disc is from Mapleshade Records and must be ordered from them. The Kelly's Lot disc is available from
www.cdbaby.com The others are major label releases.

The Tesla and Lynyrd Skynyrd discs are acoustic remakes of their best rock songs, which reminds me, Stripped by the Rolling Stones is a another great acoustic disc.

The Keb Mo and Blues Rider Trio discs are acoustic blues with some acoustic slide guitar.

The Kelly's Lot disc is a pure acoustic live disc. This group has a female lead singer and some of the best rhythm and lead acoustic guitar I have ever heard. I highly recommend checking this disc out.
wink.gif

ALL these discs are very well recorded too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2003 at 2:21 PM Post #14 of 31
When it comes to guitar music, Spanish guitar tends to pop up a lot, whether it's Medieval, Classical, or Flamenco. The reason for this is because the modern acoustic guitar (Guitarra Latina) was created in Spain back in the 15th Century.

For more detailed history information, just click on the following link:

http://www.albany.net/~dowland/gtrhstry.html

For detailed history of the ancient guitar (pre-Guitarra Latina) up into the Spanish version and beyond , please click on this link :

http://www.classicalguitarmidi.com/h...r_history.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back