The infamous Sony D-626...
Jul 1, 2003 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

strohmie

Ask him if he ever wants to see another Quail powercord again.
...is making a brief appearance on Yahoo! Japan Auctions.

http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e28163599

I'd try to buy it myself, but the expense is certainly going to be too great for a player none of us have ever heard before...but if anyone else would like to take the bullet, be my guest.

Jul 1, 2003 at 8:20 PM Post #2 of 35
I keep seeing this here so I am going to be pedantic and correct it lest head-fiers who speak English as a second language get the wrong idea.

Infamous means having a very bad reputation. It means being famous in a bad way or being famously bad. Let's not start on the word "inflammable" though. English can be pretty strange
D-626 is more like "mythical", I think
smily_headphones1.gif
. We all suspect that it will sound pretty good. The link didn't work for me though.

Jul 1, 2003 at 8:32 PM Post #3 of 35
Perhaps I should have referred to the 626 as "infamously hard-to-find" which would be more accurate. The 626 doesn't have any sort of reputation beyond being nearly impossible to find, which is more what I was referring to...

But the link seemed to work for me, so I haven't the slightest idea why it wouldn't work...

Jul 1, 2003 at 9:27 PM Post #6 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
I'd go for it, but I only have 75 Euros left (from De trip), grr!, that thing is REALLY [size=medium]HOT[/size]

Assuming you had plenty of Euros and the seller would deal internationally, how would you go for it? The only thing I understand is "Sony Discman 626", I wouldn't even know what button to push...

Jul 1, 2003 at 10:03 PM Post #7 of 35
Wow, I'd buy it
600smile.gif

Jul 2, 2003 at 12:18 AM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by PeterR
Assuming you had plenty of Euros and the seller would deal internationally, how would you go for it? The only thing I understand is "Sony Discman 626", I wouldn't even know what button to push...

What you'd have to do is send the webpage itself through Babelfish or some similar translation device...

That, or just get someone to bid on the player for you. ^_^

Jul 2, 2003 at 12:54 AM Post #9 of 35
LOL! Thanks for clearing that up Gojira, I'm always confused about the true meaning of that word lol!

Well I for one would not get it, I think wireless sounds like crap and would never beat the good old cord... But yeah it sure does look cool! I saw this one on the bus like once some 10 years ago, everybody was starring at that guy like this
eek.gif

Jul 2, 2003 at 2:01 AM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

LOL! Thanks for clearing that up Gojira, I'm always confused about the true meaning of that word lol!

Well I for one would not get it, I think wireless sounds like crap and would never beat the good old cord... But yeah it sure does look cool! I saw this one on the bus like once some 10 years ago, everybody was starring at that guy like this

Nope, this player is not bad at all. I have one, and sorry for keep my mouth close for all this time. D-626 has a line out performance of D-777's line out. The headphone out with Sony CD-3000 is impressive. The wireless features on this player is much better than I expected. I believe it has 3 sec ESP.

Purk

Jul 2, 2003 at 7:11 AM Post #11 of 35
I'm presuming, rightly or wrongly that the D626 is the next years (1993?) top of the range model to replace the D515... the model numbers tie in (sort of)

I wouldn't mind getting one... but then again, there is only so many PCDPs that you can have, and seeing that I have a D34 and a D111 on the way, and also have a broken D777 that i'm butchering for parts at the moment... I can't help but feel that this Discman thing is just a little more than obsessive
eek.gif

Jul 2, 2003 at 7:20 AM Post #12 of 35
I'm debating just biting the bullet and bidding on this...though I can't logically convince myself to spend more than $150 on it. If I do end up winning, I very well may send them your way so you can add it to the ever-growing discman review archive...

Jul 2, 2003 at 8:21 AM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
I have a D34 and a D111 on the way... I can't help but feel that this Discman thing is just a little more than obsessive
eek.gif

What's a D-34?
Somehow I begin to think of Discmen as the grown-ups' (yeah, right...) equivalent of Pokemon trading cards (you know, 'gotta catch them all'). At least I now feel less like making fun of my nephew anymore...
I should be getting my 10th Sony today, that isn't obsessive yet, is it (and Denon's don't count anyway)?

Jul 2, 2003 at 10:02 AM Post #14 of 35
D-626 is one of the most unique Discman. I think it was slightly less expensive than D-Z555 (or slighly more,I'm not sure). The sound quality from wireless transition might not up to the same level as other higher models, but the versatility and craftmanship of the unit should worth the price.

Jul 4, 2003 at 2:48 PM Post #15 of 35
So how does one go about signing up for the Japan Yahoo auction site? I have tried before but it doesn't appear they allow anyone outside of Japan to register. That is one nice looking cd player!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back