The Incredible Bone Fone! (random vintage device)`
Oct 9, 2011 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

s1rrah

Headphoneus Supremus
I remember demoing these at our local Mall here in Houston ... way way way back in the day (yes, even as a 12 year old, I freakin' DEMO'd! LOL) ...

A strange device it was but also eerily fun to listen too. The sense of bodily transmission of sound (along with the obvious sonics from the speakers) was truly freakish and ever so slightly disconcerting. It had a pleasant weight to it as well, which, again quite oddly, was sort of nice in a "throw something over my shoulders" sort of way.

Of course, being 12 or so, $70.00 bucks was more than I made in a year sweeping the driveway and so, as with a really killer Stax 009 setup today, it was always well beyond my meager grasp.... LOL.

For whatever reason, I just this morning found myself thinking of this freakish device :

SOURCE: http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/04/25/bone-fone/

One of the cooler bits from the 70's/80's (along with Merlin, Simon Says and The Dark Tower, that is...)

LOL

Rock.

.j

Oct 9, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #2 of 5
It was a total flop, as I recall.  I found the models wearing them more interesting...

Oct 9, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
It was a total flop, as I recall.  I found the models wearing them more interesting...

Of course it was a flop.

But it's Geek Value(tm) was immense. :wink:

I'd love to have one for my Weird Crap from the 80's collection...

:wink:

Oct 9, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #4 of 5
I don't remember the Bone Phone from the 70's but I do recall the Egg Chair with built-in stereo speakers. I sat in one of these at an audio show in NYC.

CF153_4.jpg

Oct 9, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
I don't remember the Bone Phone from the 70's but I do recall the Egg Chair with built-in stereo speakers. I sat in one of these at an audio show in NYC.

Awesome. In fact? I sat in an Egg Chair, myself ... at another shop just down the way from the shop I demo'd the Bone Fone in. LOL. That's true, BTW.

And it's no wonder you never heard the Bone Fone because, it truly was short lived as a product. Lasted maybe half of one summer ... but it really was a perversely strange experience (the whole bone structure transmission of vibrations and what not ... it really worked).

SUBJECTIVE . ... of course.

:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back