The incredible, bendable Eggos!
Jan 19, 2003 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

joelongwood

Keeper of the 'Phones
Most of you will probably not believe this, because I know I had a hard time believing it myself. Yesterday, my son (who was in for a visit) and I went outside for a walk. He was wearing my D66 Eggos connected to his iPod. He took them off for a moment and said, "What happened? The headband is mush." I took them and found that the two parts of the headband were so bendable and pliable that they didn't hold their shape. I put them on and found there was no pressure at all. The earcups just dangled away from my ears. I spent about ten minutes trying to figure out what was wrong, and figured that something had snapped or disconnected.
When we arrived home, I put the Eggos down. Not even ten minutes later, I figured I would give them another look, and was astonished to find that they were back to normal! The headband was as tight as ever, the earcups sealed perfectly. My son and I looked at each other in disbelief as we tried to figure out what the hell had happened.
Then it hit me.....the temperature! It was about 15 degrees farenheit around here yesterday. Maybe the cold affected the elasticity of the headband? To test my theory, I brought the Eggos outside again. After about 30 seconds, I took them off.........it happened again! The headband became wet spaghetti!
I brought them in the house and they returned to their original shape in under a minute. Incredible.
So, if you're planning to use these for winter sports, be aware of their weakness. They should come with a warning that tells people that cold weather may adversely affect performance. Actually, they might........but all instructions are in Japanese.
biggrin.gif

BTW.....my son ordered a pair of Eggos after he had them on for about 5 minutes.

Jan 19, 2003 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 30
I have experienced this same problem. I pick them up after they had been in my cold car for a while and was like, how come the cups aren't touching, thats odd. I put em on and in about 5 minutes they were back to normal. Wierd but cool.
-Mag

Jan 19, 2003 at 5:52 PM Post #3 of 30
Hmmmmmmmm, interesting. I had actually been toying with the idea of getting a pair for my walk to work but I guess they may not work well in this land of ice and snow.

Jan 19, 2003 at 5:57 PM Post #4 of 30
Is it me or does this observation seem counterintuitive relative to standard logic regarding properties of polymers/plastics or metals? (I'm not sure what material they are made of.) Can anyone with a more detailed knowledge in this area answer?
Bobes

Jan 19, 2003 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Bobes
Is it me or does this observation seem counterintuitive relative to standard logic regarding properties of polymers/plastics or metals? (I'm not sure what material they are made of.) If anyone with a more detailed knowledge in this are answer?
Bobes

Yep, cold should make materials stiffer, I would rather expect the headband to go hard and unelastic so they don't exert any pressure towards your head because of that.

Jan 19, 2003 at 6:11 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by DLP
Well, that means they're out of the picture for me. I would be using them specifically on the go, including in the cold (and later warm) Chicago weather. Nuts.

If you wear a knit wool cap, you don't have to worry about it. Just went for a walk this morning and discovered that the hat kept in the heat from my head. Elasticity was not compromised.
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2003 at 6:13 PM Post #9 of 30
The Incredible, bendable Eggos!

just don't try to eat them
tongue.gif

Jan 19, 2003 at 6:17 PM Post #10 of 30
Yah, everyone still buy them, just wear a beanie. You won't be sad u bought them.
-Mag

Jan 19, 2003 at 6:22 PM Post #11 of 30
hee hee! i ordered the D66sl's last week, thinking "oh, they would be PERFECT for this cold spell we have in the northeast! they could double as earmuffs." but alas, looks like they'll just fall off my head in 20 degree temperature.
frown.gif

oh well, i'll stick to my huge 7506's in the meantime... still waiting for my D66's to arrive...
redface.gif

cheers.

Jan 19, 2003 at 6:26 PM Post #12 of 30
For that matter, whatever has happened to the MDR-D66SL Eggos in cold weather could also happen to the MDR-85 open-air 'phones and the MDR-D33, MDR-D55 and MDR-D77 Eggos (all of which have been discontinued and hard to find), since all of the aforementioned models have the same type of headband as the MDR-D66SL Eggos.

Jan 19, 2003 at 6:36 PM Post #13 of 30
Does this mean that they crush your head if the headband gets too hot??
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Only a fortnight to go until I get a pair of D66s
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2003 at 7:19 PM Post #14 of 30
sony and its space age material... i bet they are little blue ppl like in those comercials :p anyway, if somebody could figure out what the hell that stuff is, it would be great!

~EO

Jan 19, 2003 at 7:37 PM Post #15 of 30
woah. I've been using my D66 eggos doubled as earmuffs and not had this problem (yet). It is pretty cold up here. Granted I don't try to stay out in the cold any more than neccessary.

OK, i was thinking about this, and maybe the extreme coldness causes the crystals in the wire to pull together (shrink; tighten) which makes the headband wire straighten a little giving it a loosey feel on the head. in warmer indoor temperatures then crystals in the metal can relax and retain the shape they have been bent to. this make any sense?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back