The "I'm too lazy to search or wait for a response in the correct forum" thread.
Jun 28, 2008 at 4:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

aaron313

Headphoneus Supremus
Jun 28, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do a search.

How duz I do a search? I couldn't find it on the top control panel.
confused.gif

Jun 28, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #4 of 19
ctrl + f and then type search, Presto! Although I probably didn't pick up on the sarcasm
frown.gif

Jun 28, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #5 of 19
how do i pronouce grado?

thats when i leaned how to use the search function...i almost got hung for asking that

Jun 28, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ctrl + f and then type search, Presto! Although I probably didn't pick up on the sarcasm
frown.gif

Heh, you should probably scan for the other two threads related to this one. They've been the hot topic for the last day in the HP thread.

Jun 28, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How duz I do a search? I couldn't find it on the top control panel.
confused.gif

1. Click -> Head-Fi: Search Forums
2. Type "K701 OR HD650" into the 'Search by Key Word' field
3. Press Enter
4. Read!

Quite easy isn't it.
wink.gif

Jun 28, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #9 of 19
I think the joke is cooling down way quickly

Jun 28, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #10 of 19
Hi,

Not always as easy as you make out. If you want a specific search using 2 words you will get returns showing posts containing one word or the other, there does not seem to be a way to carry out a search with 2 or more words linked so that you only return results showing the 2 words in the same post. i.e. in Google you put " before the words or phrase to get a result which only includes those words. I think it is Boolean logic but may be wrong.

This can mean that you have to literally go through hundreds of posts to find the information, so I sympathize with anyone that does not find information and requests information that may already be in the forum. This does not include the whats the best headphone for $50 question.

Cheers

John

PS This is not a criticism of the forum which I think is excellent, just my own observations.

Jun 28, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Click -> Head-Fi: Search Forums
2. Type "K701 OR HD650" into the 'Search by Key Word' field
3. Press Enter
4. Read!

Quite easy isn't it.
wink.gif

Having trouble with #4... can you assist me with that, too?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aaron:
Is this thread just a "tad" condescending?

Nah, I think there are distinctions between your thread, The Monkey's thread, and my thread. First, yours is for random questions that people are afraid to ask for fear of looking stupider. And then you answer their occasionally tongue-in-cheek questions with the gravity of an engineering textbook. The Monkey's thread is a direct affront to the spirit of your thread. My thread serves the niche market of people who can't figure out the search function or forum structure. I don't find it to be condescending, but rather "obnoxious."

Jun 28, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #13 of 19
John, I found that too. I've tried many of the Boolean operators that work in search engines like Google and they do not work here. For instance, if I try to search for threads about IEMs. I cannot find JUST that word in a thread. Instead I get a list of individual posts that happen to have that word in them(usually around 900).

It would be nice to have tools like this work since they are available.

But then again if they don't even know how to find the search, they probably don't know how that works either.

Jun 28, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Reeves /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

Not always as easy as you make out. If you want a specific search using 2 words you will get returns showing posts containing one word or the other, there does not seem to be a way to carry out a search with 2 or more words linked so that you only return results showing the 2 words in the same post. i.e. in Google you put " before the words or phrase to get a result which only includes those words. I think it is Boolean logic but may be wrong.

This can mean that you have to literally go through hundreds of posts to find the information, so I sympathize with anyone that does not find information and requests information that may already be in the forum. This does not include the whats the best headphone for $50 question.

Cheers

John

PS This is not a criticism of the forum which I think is excellent, just my own observations.

I don't think that using the search function is the easiest thing in the world. But it doesn't take a genius to find about 200 threads comparing the K701 and HD650. I would say that the trick is to search titles. I usually find everything I'm looking for that way. And honestly, whenever somebody states that they used the search function to no avail, I give them a good answer.

Jun 28, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Reeves /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

Become a contributing member and get Boolean search as a bonus.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having trouble with #4... can you assist me with that, too?

Nope, sorry! have trouble with #4 myself sometimes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back