The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead.
Jun 13, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #8,266 of 9,235
For anyone considering the Sound Earphones deal on the Phonak Audeo PFE 122 and 132, please note that the 122 is an "In-Flight Edition" that does not come with the extra filters, silicone ear guides, and case that the "usual" PFE 122 comes with.  In other words, the PFE 122 that Sound Earphones is selling is more similar to the 02X models than to the other 12X models in terms of accessories.  I missed this when I ordered it a few days ago.

Still a good deal, but I now think the 132 is a better deal overall even if you don't need/want the volume buttons.  I returned the 122 In Flight Edition and exchanged it for a 132.

Jun 13, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #8,267 of 9,235
What filters does it come with installed then? I think my father ordered a set, but hasn't received it. Wondering if its worth opening.

I believe the filters can be purchased online separately.

Jun 13, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #8,268 of 9,235
Quote:
Ah, yes. Right you are.

Beware, the 122 at soundearphones is the in flight version, which apparently comes with nothing but the tips, cleaning tool, and airline adapter.  I'm pretty bummed that I didn't know that, I would have spent the extra 20 to get the better remote and other accessories since the filters are 20 bucks on their own.  Just get the 132 people. 

By the way, they sound GREAT!  I really love their sound and am thinking about getting the 132 anyway.

EDIT: Sorry ephemere, I didn't notice your post about this already.

Jun 13, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #8,269 of 9,235
What filters does it come with installed then? I think my father ordered a set, but hasn't received it. Wondering if its worth opening.

I believe the filters can be purchased online separately.

Grey. I received mine.

Jun 13, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #8,271 of 9,235
Quote:
are the grey filters the better ones? i know the green filters are the perfect bass ones.

Do they come with any case at all?

The grey ones sound really good.  From what I've read, they have the most balanced sound.  I've read some prefer the black because it rolls off the top end a bit and adds more bass, but I really like the top end with the grey.  I would consider them to be my preferred sound even before I hear the others because the bass is already pretty much where I like it %95 of the time and I don't want less top end, I think it sounds fantastic.  I do want to have some black ones to play around with too though.

No case whatsoever.  You get the IEMs, all the tips, cleaning tool, airline adapter and that's it.  Still a very good deal for $80 IMO, but I would have spent the extra $20 had I known that.

epehmere, was it easy to get them to do a return and exchange?  I contacted them after hours so I haven't heard back.

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #8,272 of 9,235
Jun 13, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #8,273 of 9,235
Quote:

epehmere, was it easy to get them to do a return and exchange?  I contacted them after hours so I haven't heard back.

It was no problem to return it.  I didn't even break the shrink wrap on mine, once I saw what it was.  Honestly, it's still a great deal at $80, given how good these are.

Some do prefer the black filters, but many (most?) prefer grey.  I've never heard of anyone preferring green.  My first PFE was a 022 that I got a few weeks ago (before this deal) on ebay.  The first thing I did was to replace the green filters with grey that I bought from audeoworld.  I loved it so much that I immediately ordered another 022 from ebay as a backup.  And now the 132 on the way will let me experiment with the black filters.  I definitely want backups, given that they're no longer being made.  I'll be using these for many years.

Jun 14, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #8,275 of 9,235
Quote:
Beware, the 122 at soundearphones is the in flight version, which apparently comes with nothing but the tips, cleaning tool, and airline adapter.  I'm pretty bummed that I didn't know that, I would have spent the extra 20 to get the better remote and other accessories since the filters are 20 bucks on their own.  Just get the 132 people. 

By the way, they sound GREAT!  I really love their sound and am thinking about getting the 132 anyway.

EDIT: Sorry ephemere, I didn't notice your post about this already.

I ordered the PFE 122s on Wednesday. Didn't know that basic accessories were not included.
Not too worried because I have left over PFE accessories for 2 pairs of 112s that I returned for warranty service in 2009 and 2010.
Although, I do wish I could find a set of black filters for under $20. I recall buying a set of black filters for $10 shipped in 2009.
The 100% mark up on filters makes no sense.

BTW, I've just noticed that the PFE132s are no longer available at soundearphones.com

http://www.soundearphones.com/search?s=&q=phonak+pfe

Jun 14, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #8,277 of 9,235
Quote:
I ordered the PFE 122s on Wednesday. Didn't know that basic accessories were not included.
Not too worried because I have left over PFE accessories for 2 pairs of 112s that I returned for warranty service in 2009 and 2010.
Although, I do wish I could find a set of black filters for under $20. I recall buying a set of black filters for $10 shipped in 2009.
The 100% mark up on filters makes no sense.

BTW, I've just noticed that the PFE132s are no longer available at soundearphones.com

http://www.soundearphones.com/search?s=&q=phonak+pfe

Yes, it looks like I got the last set.  Really happy, these are really excellent for that price.

Jun 14, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #8,279 of 9,235
Quote:
There are lots of the 132's left. I went to Sound Earphones today, and they are totally worth it. The sound is very good, and the filters do really change the sound of the headphones. 

When I called about 80 minutes ago, I was told that Sound Earphones are out of the PFE 132s.
However, they may receive some more on Monday.
I was then instructed to place a pre-order on the Sound Earphones website.
However, there is no way to order the 132s from their website.

http://www.soundearphones.com/products/phonak-pfe-132
I get a 404 from the above URL.

Milan

Jun 14, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #8,280 of 9,235
Quote:
There are lots of the 132's left. I went to Sound Earphones today, and they are totally worth it. The sound is very good, and the filters do really change the sound of the headphones. 

Are you talking about the 122s?  I was on the phone with them earlier today, and they told me I got the last available 132.  I hope you're right though, they are such a great deal at $100.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back