The Hornet arrives...(pics 56k)
Nov 14, 2005 at 9:48 AM Post #406 of 410
yes that would work, but...it's a hornet! even if you dont believe in cable differences, dont get something that nasty looking! put a WTB on the sale forums and ask a DIYer to make you a cable at the length you want - someone probably is local to you and can whip one up for a good price!

Nov 14, 2005 at 12:04 PM Post #407 of 410
Well, I now have my Hornet in my hot little hands...and My God this device is a tiny masterful design!

I could not wait but plugged my e4s in for the drive to NJ yesterday (I know, not legal, but I had to hear this). My first impressions were a fuller midrange and higher frequency bass from the e4s; it made the e4s sound far more complete - quite different from just the headphone jack of my 3G iPod. I had the gain set to low and started cranking, but could not even get past 8:00 with the e4s. I really enjoyed hearing the mids and bass now - this amp will be an excellent (fun) complement, not replacement to the SR-71. I must get a more compact IC - maybe Turbo's cable? I suspect that the SR-71 will become my "reference" amp, with the Hornet holding my interest for many air trips (this week - Chi-town/Orlando/Cleveland).

Nov 14, 2005 at 1:16 PM Post #408 of 410
Quote:

Originally Posted by chungsoi
I'm not too sure, it might be a little too narrow. There are a ton of different sizes and shapes available in the crumpler range (mine being the "crumpler bundle small") so pick one which fits your setup best.

Goodluck!

I could not fit my 3G ipod and Hornet in the bundle small So I ended up getting the bundle medium and everything fits great. My etys even fit in the front pocket. The really are great bags...

Nov 14, 2005 at 1:39 PM Post #409 of 410
Quote:

Originally Posted by zatara
I could not fit my 3G ipod and Hornet in the bundle small So I ended up getting the bundle medium and everything fits great. My etys even fit in the front pocket. The really are great bags...

Good to hear, that is the one I just order.

Thanks,
Ken

Nov 15, 2005 at 4:38 PM Post #410 of 410
I got to try out Ray's Hornet at the NYC meet. As best as I can remember (there were so many cans & amps to try out), I would describe it as very analog sounding, which was warm, lush, bassy, but it's missing something. Perhaps the soundstaging could have been better, which was the only thing it was lacking, but hells, what more do you expect from a $350 portable amp that can drive an AKG k-1000.

Btw, Ray is a stand-out gentleman, you'll notice his presence nearby and you'll notice it on the far end of the room. He's really fun and a pleasure to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back