The HeadRoom Ultra Desktop Balanced DAC [THE UDAC] is BACK!
Feb 1, 2011 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

JorgeC

Sponsor: HeadRoom

Hello Head-Fiers,

YAAAA!!!! 
biggrin.gif

We are so very pleased to announce the "new" HeadRoom Ultra Desktop Balanced DAC is now available as 'Pre-Order' on our Headphone.com website. Initial availability will be slightly limited so feel free to place your Pre-Order now to get into the queu for our first new HeadRoom UDAC run, which should be shipping in about 10 business days:

http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/headroom-ultra-desktop-dac-udac.php

Truly, we're overjoyed that we can finally get our amazing HeadRoom Balanced Ultra DAC back on the market. Yep, the topology issues we encountered were lengthy and vexing, but huge cheers to our ol' audio engineer and good friend Joe W. for his exceptional R&D getting the UDAC sussed out and perfect. Big thanks must also be shouted out to our HeadRoom CEO Travis who never gave up on the UDAC and was always eager to listen to all of our "hey, how about if we try..." ideas floating around the lab. Many HeadRoomers never stopped loving and using the UDAC daily on our desktops & home systems, so we've been hearing lots of merry whistling in the HR hallways the past few days.

Hooray! 
tongue.gif

jorge
HeadRoom Operations Manager

2011-02-03 1204 EST JUDE: Fixed link.

Feb 2, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #3 of 29

Quote:
great to hear. congrats on getting this straightened out,

Thanks Driftwood, much appreciated.
beerchug.gif

Needless to say, we are totally stoked after all the trials, tribulations and near-misses we've experienced getting the UDAC & new ESS chipset to groove these past 10~11 months. Our audio engineer guru Joe W. finally got it, and we just completed (another) round of testing to ensure everything was indeed fool-proof... Sooo short of letting the HeadRoom Headphone Samurai run over it with the 4WD, the UDAC is 100% perfect!
tongue.gif

Cheers,

jorge

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #5 of 29
Hey Lil' Knight,

We went with the superb ESS 9018, specially tweaked, twiddled and programmed by your friends at HeadRoom, of course! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Woo-hoo!

Cheers,

jorge

Feb 3, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #8 of 29
Fantastic news!!!!!  I absolutely love my original  ESS9008 UDAC and I was extremely disheartened when you pulled it off the market. What do you see as the major sonic improvements with this version of the UDAC?  Any chance I can upgrade my unit? 
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #9 of 29

Quote:
Needless to say, we are totally stoked after all the trials, tribulations and near-misses we've experienced getting the UDAC & new ESS chipset to groove these past 10~11 months. Our audio engineer guru Joe W. finally got it, and we just completed (another) round of testing to ensure everything was indeed fool-proof... Sooo short of letting the HeadRoom Headphone Samurai run over it with the 4WD, the UDAC is 100% perfect!
tongue.gif

Curious, at any point did you think about or try alternatives like the WM8741, AD1955, or something from AKM? I'm wondering because a few manufacturers have tried the ESS and ultimately passed on it for Wolfson or one of the others.

Feb 3, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #10 of 29

Quote:
Hey Lil' Knight,

We went with the superb ESS 9018, specially tweaked, twiddled and programmed by your friends at HeadRoom, of course! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Woo-hoo!

Cheers,

jorge

I'd be very interested to know how you modified the chip itself.

Feb 3, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #11 of 29
Cool! The classic is back.
beerchug.gif

I can;t seem to make out the upsampling rates or whatever they are on the front. Can someone help me out?

Feb 3, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #12 of 29
Cool! The classic is back.
beerchug.gif

I can;t seem to make out the upsampling rates or whatever they are on the front. Can someone help me out?

Sure, I see:

44.1khz
48khz
96khz
192khz

Input Select has USB, Coax and Optical.

And "Filter Rolloff" has both Fast and Slow.

I wish I could afford something so nice (Never had a DAC before, but it's my next purchase, albeit something more in my price range :p) But maybe one day. Can't wait to read some reviews! :)

Feb 3, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #13 of 29

Quote:
Curious, at any point did you think about or try alternatives like the WM8741, AD1955, or something from AKM? I'm wondering because a few manufacturers have tried the ESS and ultimately passed on it for Wolfson or one of the others.

Audio-GD did discontinue the ES9018 for a few reasons (mainly logistical) but have brought it back due to the number of people asking for it. I don't know of any other manufacturers discontinuing it. I have the ES9018 based Audio-GD NFB10 and it is a really revealing neutral chip. Goes well with the LCD-2. Its nice to see more ES9018 based products coming out.

Feb 3, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #14 of 29

Quote:
Quote:

Audio-GD did discontinue the ES9018 for a few reasons (mainly logistical) but have brought it back due to the number of people asking for it. I don't know of any other manufacturers discontinuing it. I have the ES9018 based Audio-GD NFB10 and it is a really revealing neutral chip. Goes well with the LCD-2. Its nice to see more ES9018 based products coming out.

The one I was thinking of is the PS Perfect Wave, they said they tried the Sabre in it and thought the WM8741 sounded better - more musical. I'm curious about the AD1955 because it's used in the Berkeley, and Esoteric uses stacked AKM chips in their flagships.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back