The HeadRoom of yore--brought to you by the Internet Archive Wayback Machine
Nov 27, 2010 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Argyris

Head-Fi's third most long-winded poster.
Many of you here were probably around in the hobby back in the early 2000s or so and thus might remember the (charmingly ugly) old HeadRoom website. Well, for those who weren't (like me!), there's the good old Internet Archive Wayback Machine. There are quite a few save dates, but this one from 2004 has been quite entertaining:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040414062117/headphone.com/layout.php?topicID=3&subTopicID=26

If you've been to the site recently, then you know how all the reviews are generally at least passingly positive. In the olden days...not so much. Here's a few of my favorite descriptions I've found so far:

"[size=small]Don't expect the great sound that you get from the better Beyers, these are pretty bassless and uneven sounding cans. Compared to the good headphones in this price range . . . well, it doesn’t." (beyerdynamic DT131)[/size]

"[size=small]This is a headphone past its prime." (beyerdynamic DT770, pre-2005 version)[/size]

"[size=small]These headphones look way, way up to their brothers in the AKG line. It's hard to say what it is that I like about them (hint, hint)." (AKG K70)[/size]

"[size=small]Comfort is not the issue here. Nor is isolation. It's what comes out of the cups that's disturbing." (AKG K270 S)[/size]

There are probably many, many more such instances. I also found the few scattered product measurement graphs interesting (most products don't have them and of those that do, many of the links are broken), particularly the one for the DT990.

I'm not sure if this is the proper place to post this or not (kind of a difficult post to place), but here it is. Maybe I'm just crazy, but I find this sort of stuff fascinating, if only to see the variety of products that are no longer offered/in production. There was a time when HeadRoom pulled no punches, though something tells me this brutal honesty might not have sold too many of the above units!

Nov 27, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #2 of 4
HeadRoom's old, punchy reviews made for obsessive reading when I was getting into the hobby.  I've been sad to see the direction they've gone.

Thanks very much for this shot of nostalgia, Argyris.

Nov 27, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #4 of 4
LOL, what's that old phrase..honesty is the best...dang I forgot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back