The headphones not touching ears
May 20, 2024 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

buidoimiennui

Head-Fier
Hi everybody. I think the idea of headphones not touching ears very interesting. It's like we use a speaker that we can carry everywhere, but its volume doesn't affect the people around us too much. And it will probably be extremely comfortable.

Do you think this will be a trend and deverlopment? I would like to open this topic for further discussion! Very happy to hear your opinions.

Wishing you all the best!

main-qimg-a2d6cce557d2cf8dd3a3fcf47e68b3ee-c.jpeg

May 20, 2024 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 14
Hi everybody. I think the idea of headphones not touching ears very interesting. It's like we use a speaker that we can carry everywhere, but its volume doesn't affect the people around us too much. And it will probably be extremely comfortable.

Do you think this will be a trend and deverlopment? I would like to open this topic for further discussion! Very happy to hear your opinions.

Wishing you all the best!

main-qimg-a2d6cce557d2cf8dd3a3fcf47e68b3ee-c.jpeg
Youre looking to market a 3DP headphone with similarities to K1000 and MDR-F1? Sweet! I guess based on your post here.

May 21, 2024 at 12:20 AM Post #3 of 14
Youre looking to market a 3DP headphone with similarities to K1000 and MDR-F1? Sweet! I guess based on your post here.

I don't mean marketing. I'm just a music lover. OAE1 itself seems like their driver is also located far away from the ear. I'm using mdr f1 and I wonder what k1000 and mysphere will sound like. I haven't heard them yet. But I think it will definitely be better than f1.

I think the introduction of mysphere and oae1 might be the trend. As for my diy version, it's just diy, I don't mean to make them to sell.

May 21, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #5 of 14
Tôi có Jecklin Float kể từ khi thành lập. Mình đã có dịp thử nhiều loại tai nghe nhưng lần nào cũng quay lại Jecklin do kết cấu dạng open, không chạm vào tai, kết hợp với khả năng tĩnh điện tốt.
Jecklin they don't touch the ears but touch the head too much. They still create the feeling of wearing heavy and hot headphones. I think like k1000 is really comfortable.

May 21, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #6 of 14
Loook but no touchy

May 21, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #7 of 14
Jecklin they don't touch the ears but touch the head too much. They still create the feeling of wearing heavy and hot headphones. I think like k1000 is really comfortable.
In the old days I lived small and could not have decent loudspeakers in my room, so I sat for hours with Jecklin ear speakers on my head without having these problems you describe. They spread their weight over your head, so you feel them less than when you have smallish head bands.
But ymmv of course.

May 21, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #8 of 14
In the old days I lived small and could not have decent loudspeakers in my room, so I sat for hours with Jecklin ear speakers on my head without having these problems you describe. They spread their weight over your head, so you feel them less than when you have smallish head bands.
But ymmv of course.

Sorry, I haven't listened to them yet so I don't know. So do you still use them now?

May 21, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #10 of 14
I don't mean marketing. I'm just a music lover. OAE1 itself seems like their driver is also located far away from the ear. I'm using mdr f1 and I wonder what k1000 and mysphere will sound like. I haven't heard them yet. But I think it will definitely be better than f1.

I think the introduction of mysphere and oae1 might be the trend. As for my diy version, it's just diy, I don't mean to make them to sell.
I imagine MDR-F1 is more comfortable (lightweight), convenient (minimal amping requirements), and cheaper (by four figures) than AKG or Mysphere.

Maybe try MDR-MA900 as it seems to be a direct progression from MDR-F1.

Why havent you bought OAE1 yet? If youre willing to buy four-figure headphones then OAE1 ($350) is a small risk for you.

Any Grado with G-pads sorta fit your criterion so long as your ears arent too big. The giant foam pads are relatively very open.

I have an “off-ear” headphone arriving tomorrow. Peerless PMB 100. Ill probably sell soon since I expect its just a curiosity demo. I have several headphones in the curiosity demo category that need unloading.

Tell us about your diy contraption please?

May 21, 2024 at 7:55 PM Post #11 of 14
I had Jecklin Float Electrostatics many years ago - amazing dynamics but literally no bass. Sold them on...

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #12 of 14
I imagine MDR-F1 is more comfortable (lightweight), convenient (minimal amping requirements), and cheaper (by four figures) than AKG or Mysphere.

Maybe try MDR-MA900 as it seems to be a direct progression from MDR-F1.

Why havent you bought OAE1 yet? If youre willing to buy four-figure headphones then OAE1 ($350) is a small risk for you.

Any Grado with G-pads sorta fit your criterion so long as your ears arent too big. The giant foam pads are relatively very open.

I have an “off-ear” headphone arriving tomorrow. Peerless PMB 100. Ill probably sell soon since I expect its just a curiosity demo. I have several headphones in the curiosity demo category that need unloading.

Tell us about your diy contraption please?

I own ma900 and f1. But I think the k1000 and mysphere will not touch my ears at all. ma900 and f1 are very comfortable, but I still feel stuck and hot if used for a long time. I'm in Asia and near the equator, the average temperature is 32 c. My diy project is in testing, I'm looking for some dynamic and high performance drivers, to get full bass without the need for a closed housing and pad. I will post when the testing process is complete.

20240519_185902-01.jpeg

May 22, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #13 of 14
I own ma900 and f1. But I think the k1000 and mysphere will not touch my ears at all. ma900 and f1 are very comfortable, but I still feel stuck and hot if used for a long time. I'm in Asia and near the equator, the average temperature is 32 c. My diy project is in testing, I'm looking for some dynamic and high performance drivers, to get full bass without the need for a closed housing and pad. I will post when the testing process is complete.

20240519_185902-01.jpeg
Great pic! Your diy looks great too. I understand what youre going for now and why. Good luck! Maybe add Raal SR1a to list but I bet you could make a preferable sounding and cheaper diy headphone. I also read awhile back about hyperdirectional speakers that basically isolate the sound to just a single listener that might help, like this.

May 22, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #14 of 14
I use the Mysphere 3.2 with bass cushions and Oratory1990 EQ for that headphone - that would suit you perfectly, I suspect. Not cheap, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back