The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Sep 13, 2015 at 6:07 AM Post #4,666 of 6,342

Coax and SE I've been there and done that, why are you so stubborn about this you are are wasting a seriously great amp  with what you have, and you have no idea, but you have to defend that position no matter what, and why?

Hum, then did spdif coaxial out of a good transport got to be a waste?

Sep 13, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #4,667 of 6,342

So correct me if I'm wrong, but your saying that you prefer or find the GS-1 just as good (SE) and can't hear the difference with the GS-Xmk2 (balanced) and pretty much wasted $1500.00 for a pre-amp on/off switch? Also have you ever heard the HE-1000?

I have not heard and never will hear the HE1000.  I'm out of the full sized open headphone game.  

I used my GS-Xmk2 single ended even though the PWD2, GS-Xmk2 and Dynaudio are all balanced.  Didn't make a difference I could hear and made the DACT steps smaller for better control.

The $1500 wasn't wasted since I really need that switch and would have had to buy an external box otherwise.  Expensive but needed :wink:

The advantage of having access to balanced is for hard to drive headphones that can take advantage of the 4x greater power.  I don't have any so... no difference for me.  The other advantages really only exist on paper since the slew rate is already overkill, the noise is non existent and I don't live in an area when the cables pick up noise.  That said, other lesser designs, do get better as well as more powerful when run balanced.

Last thing.  If mine was an Alpha I would have likely just used balanced front to back because of infinite control of volume.

Sep 13, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #4,668 of 6,342
  I have not heard and never will hear the HE1000.  I'm out of the full sized open headphone game.  
I used my GS-Xmk2 single ended even though the PWD2, GS-Xmk2 and Dynaudio are all balanced.  Didn't make a difference I could hear and made the DACT steps smaller for better control.
The $1500 wasn't wasted since I really need that switch and would have had to buy an external box otherwise.  Expensive but needed :wink:
The advantage of having access to balanced is for hard to drive headphones that can take advantage of the 4x greater power.  I don't have any so... no difference for me.  The other advantages really only exist on paper since the slew rate is already overkill, the noise is non existent and I don't live in an area when the cables pick up noise.  That said, other lesser designs, do get better as well as more powerful when run balanced.
Last thing.  If mine was an Alpha I would have likely just used balanced front to back because of infinite control of volume.

Thanks for all of your input, I appreciate it.
I'll give my impressions after receiving my set-up.

Sep 13, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #4,669 of 6,342
I'm probably going to purchase the PS Audio NuWave DSD. Can someone with this DAC and the GS-Xmk2 please tell me what type of XLR connectors I would need to connect the two for fully balanced output?
I'm not sure, but I believe I would need 3-pin XLR male to male, correct?
This is my first go at a fully balanced system and I believe the XLR outputs from the DAC are 3-pin female and the same goes for the mk2, but I'm not sure???
Thank you.

EDIT:
Correction…XLR-female.

Sep 13, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #4,670 of 6,342
All balanced systems whether dac to amp, amp to speaker amp... is always male to female.  The balanced headphone cable is male.  The NuWave DSD is not good.  The PWD2 is really the one and only great dac PS Audio has made that competes favourably with dacs in the same street price range.

Sep 13, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #4,671 of 6,342
  All balanced systems whether dac to amp, amp to speaker amp... is always male to female.  The balanced headphone cable is male.  The NuWave DSD is not good.  The PWD2 is really the one and only great dac PS Audio has made that competes favourably with dacs in the same street price range.

Thank you for correcting me about the XLR cables, I appreciate it!
I'll check out the PWD2…thanks. 
smile.gif

Sep 13, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #4,677 of 6,342
  Source/DAC>Balanced>GS-Xmk2 2X's power 

4x power, 2x gain.  Have to keep in mind that gain is voltage and power is that voltage times the current.  Which is utterly irrelevant if you only use 1mW :wink:

Sep 13, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #4,679 of 6,342

Just realized you own the PWD2…but you do you have it up for sale if its so good??? 
confused_face(1).gif

Sep 14, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #4,680 of 6,342

Users who are viewing this thread

Back