The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Jun 18, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #1,337 of 6,326
Quote:
Thanks for the input Maxvla!

How about go to a local meet to listen to gears?  There is no one-and-done kindda deal.  Though the GS-X MKII can be one of the exception here.  Still...you may want to play around with the source of your choice to make sure that it synergizes well with your amp + phones.  The GS-X MKII is an exceptionally clean sounding amplifier with very neutral sound.  It is also very transparent so it should make a DAC selection process much simpler.

Jun 18, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #1,338 of 6,326
Quote:
The PWD II I've heard was not that good sounding. The ones that apparently do sound good are the MKI upgraded to MKII. The analog board is different, some have said. I haven't heard an upgraded MKI so my only audition was the MKII which didn't impress. I would do more research before blindly following Solude's recommendation.

To be fair... you like the BHA-1 so... ya :p

In all seriousness though, what didn't you like about it?  Too warm, too focused?

And any story involving the PWD1, which is generally thought of as a ~$1500 sounding DAC, being better after upgrade than the PWD2, which in every review is called a world beater... is a myth created by people who can't sell their PWD1 without losing their shirt. 

Jun 18, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #1,339 of 6,326
Quote:
The PWD II I've heard was not that good sounding. The ones that apparently do sound good are the MKI upgraded to MKII. The analog board is different, some have said. I haven't heard an upgraded MKI so my only audition was the MKII which didn't impress. I would do more research before blindly following Solude's recommendation.

I never very impress with the pwd neither, anyway,

since I got the gsxmk2, I like it and I like it a lot.  it is the best I have?  I don't know.  I tend to use my other amp(s) more.  I didn't post a lot(or at all) on this thread since getting it but I've been following it.  I don't remember seeing any negative comment at all from the gsx owners.  it can't be.  I know the "if you ain't got nothing nice to say, don't say it " but....well

Jun 18, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #1,340 of 6,326
Quote:

I never very impress with the pwd neither, anyway,

since I got the gsxmk2, I like it and I like it a lot.  it is the best I have?  I don't know.  I tend to use my other amp(s) more.  I didn't post a lot(or at all) on this thread since getting it but I've been following it.  I don't remember seeing any negative comment at all from the gsx owners.  it can't be.  I know the "if you ain't got nothing nice to say, don't say it " but....well

Please share with us other amps that you have beside the GS-X MKII.  

Jun 18, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #1,341 of 6,326
The PWD II is an awfully good DAC.  It's going to take a DAC that really cost 4K and up to beat it.  I'll put my money on the PWD II against any DAC 2.5K and under any day of the week.  It can start to get tough around $2.5K and up.  By the way please don't pay the $4K MSRP for the PWD II, go on the Gon and get it for $2.5K and under all day.

You research can start here:  This is a review from a pretty good source in some folks eyes.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/477-ps-audio-perfectwave-dac-mkii-review/

Jun 18, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #1,342 of 6,326
GS series is a lot like the HD800... if you don't really like your source, you aren't going to like either the GS amps or HD800 cans.

Jun 18, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #1,343 of 6,326
Quote:
The PWD II is an awfully good DAC.  It's going to take a DAC that really cost 4K and up to beat it.  I'll put my money on the PWD II against any DAC 2.5K and under any day of the week.  It can start to get tough around $2.5K and up.  By the way please don't pay the $4K MSRP for the PWD II, go on the Gon and get it for $2.5K and under all day.

You research can start here:  This is a review from a pretty good source in some folks eyes.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/477-ps-audio-perfectwave-dac-mkii-review/

Well...since we are now talking DAC.  Is the MKI upgrade is equivalent sonically to the MKII?  Is the "Bridge" option necessary?

Jun 18, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #1,345 of 6,326
Prep, you've heard a upgraded MKI? Only ask because there are quite a few vocal peeps who completely disagree, who have heard both.

In fact, they crusade against the MKII's.

Jun 18, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #1,346 of 6,326
Quote:
Prep, you've heard a upgraded MKI? Only ask because there are quite a few vocal peeps who completely disagree, who have heard both.

In fact, they crusade against the MKII's.

Yep..  While I didn't live with it I've heard it.  The mkII with the 2.20 is pretty good IMO.  

Those who crusade have different stokes and I'm different folks..
biggrin.gif

Jun 18, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #1,347 of 6,326
All it takes to know one way or the other is to take a photo of both internally.  My money is on the circuit not having changed, possibly a difference in part selection based on availability though.  Know for sure though that the LCD and it's logic has changed.

Jun 18, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #1,348 of 6,326
Quote:
All it takes to know one way or the other is to take a photo of both internally.  My money is on the circuit not having changed, possibly a difference in part selection based on availability though.  Know for sure though that the LCD and it's logic has changed.

Could have sworn Anax or Purrin did this. Which is why they're so adamant that the MKII's are trash in comparison.

Jun 18, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #1,349 of 6,326

I've already found one with the X-Sabre. I loaned it to Purk and he has posted some comments, I also loaned it to Purrin and Anaxilus and they both preferred their upgraded MKI to the X-Sabre but thought the Sabre was a good DAC for the money. At the Austin meet I brought over my X-Sabre and HD800s to Justin's table and heard my rig with his amp. That is the best audition you can hope for short of an in-home trial. It was a great combo, perhaps my last.

Jun 18, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #1,350 of 6,326
I know they listened to them both but I don't think they opened them up.  And if they did, odd they didn't take a shot given they aren't normally shy about posting internal shots.  Especially since PS posts the internal on their own site.

I'd have to reread it but was the upgrade PWD1 better or in no way you could mistake one for the other in a blind test better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back