The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Jun 14, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #1,291 of 6,342
+1 on power. My system sounds much better at 1 AM!

Jun 15, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #1,293 of 6,342
Just had a mini-meet with member zare (funny enough a fellow Macedonian-Canadian Head-fier with a passion for great sound....and the same age). Small world. He brought over his GS-X MKII and Bryston BDA-2 DAC. Some impressions:

My GS-X with upgraded Dynalo+ modules = GS-X MKII. No difference to my ears. Now compared to the GS-X with the older modules, there is a difference (mainly dynamics) when I look at my notes that I took when I did the upgrade several months ago. We used the HD800s for the evaluation. Most transparent dynamic cans I own. There was more of a noise floor on the MKII when stacked on top of each other; while on my GS-X there was none (using my TH-900s for this check). Likely due to the more powerful transformers on the newer model. The GS-X (with upgraded modules) or MKII are simply the best SS amps I've heard bar none. If you own a GS-X, call Justin and buy the Dynalo+ modules now...if you don't own a GS-X and you're in the market in this price range, you will NOT be disappointed.

We also compared how clean and clear the HD800/GS-X/GS-XMKII were to my SR-009/HeadAmp KGSS and we both agreed that the Stax rig was head above shoulders better. As transparent as the HD800/GS-X setup was (and boy was it), the SR-009s just take it to a whole new level for the both of us. He's got a BHSE on order, so I'll get to hear it once it arrives. That should be fun. 

In summary, I'm standing pat with my dynamic amp. If I were looking to re-buy the HE-6s (which I am not), then I might be tempted to go for the MKII. But with my dynamic headphones, both sound essentially the same....that is to say: spectacular!

On another note, I really liked the Bryston BDA-2 DAC. Very nice, clean and dynamic. Makes the W4S DAC-2 seem a bit laid back in comparison. Maybe a bit on the more musical side of neutral, but very nice (I liked it more than the PWD2)...definitely on my radar for the autumn. 

Jun 15, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #1,295 of 6,342
Quote:
Musical side of neutral = colored IMO.  Means it's adding something to the music that's not there.  Is this what you're hearing?

Just a wee bit...but could be the dynamics of the DAC (which were very, very good). FWIW, I found the PWD2 more so in the coloured realm. I really enjoyed the BDA-2...on my radar for sure! Wasn't a big fan of the BDA-1, but Bryston really brought their game up with this DAC.

(Sorry about the bold and underlined "u"...couldn't help myself 
size]
).

Jun 15, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #1,296 of 6,342
Quote:

(Sorry about the bold and underlined "u"...couldn't help myself 
size]
).

Color vs. colour

Color and colour are different spellings of the same word. Color is the preferred spelling in American English, and colour is preferred in all other main varieties of English. The distinction extends to all derivatives of the word. Coloredcoloringcolorercolorful, and discolor are the U.S. spellings, and colouredcolouringcolourercolourful, and discolour are preferred outside the U.S.

beerchug.gif

Jun 15, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #1,297 of 6,342
Quote:

Color vs. colour

Color and colour are different spellings of the same word. Color is the preferred spelling in American English, and colour is preferred in all other main varieties of English. The distinction extends to all derivatives of the word. Coloredcoloringcolorercolorful, and discolor are the U.S. spellings, and colouredcolouringcolourercolourful, and discolour are preferred outside the U.S.

beerchug.gif

We have Noah Webster to blame for not using The Queen's English:

"Americans follow the spelling rules set forth by Noah Webster, a lexicographer living when the US was a fledgling republic. He eliminated the "ou" from words like colour, labour, harbour, etc and replacing it with just an "o".
There were other orthographical changes.

What probably did was the US wanted to distance itself from Great Britain and one way to do it was changing the spelling of certain English words and making them appear more American."

smile.gif

Jun 15, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #1,298 of 6,342
Quote:

We have Noah Webster to blame for not using The Queen's English:

"Americans follow the spelling rules set forth by Noah Webster, a lexicographer living when the US was a fledgling republic. He eliminated the "ou" from words like colour, labour, harbour, etc and replacing it with just an "o".
There were other orthographical changes.

What probably did was the US wanted to distance itself from Great Britain and one way to do it was changing the spelling of certain English words and making them appear more American."

smile.gif

I thought Noah Webster created a dictionary eliminating the "ou" because it reflected how Americans pronunciate.
Not to distance itself from Great Britain.

Sorry, carry on. :)

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #1,300 of 6,342
2.20 from a 2012 new production mk2 I believe.  Joke being I thought the W4S was quite a bit darker than the PWD2.  I had the LCD-3 at the time, 

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #1,301 of 6,342
Quote:
I thought Noah Webster created a dictionary eliminating the "ou" because it reflected how Americans pronunciate.
Not to distance itself from Great Britain.

Sorry, carry on. :)

The "ou" influence in Great Britain (and the rest of the English world except for the USA) could be a carry over from the French speaking Normans too. The "o-u-r" at the end of words seems like a French influence to me. 

Quote:

Was this 2.20 or 2.02?

Quote:
2.20 from a 2012 new production mk2 I believe.  

^ Bingo...Regis is correct.

Jun 16, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #1,302 of 6,342
Quote:

The "ou" influence in Great Britain (and the rest of the English world except for the USA) could be a carry over from the French speaking Normans too. The "o-u-r" at the end of words seems like a French influence to me. 

As far as "colour" is concerned, I believe you're right, it come from medieval French. But there are many origins for the "our" suffix in English. For example, "humour" is a deformation of the 17th century French "humeur" (while if I'm correct "colour" is the exact transposition of the medieval French "colour" - which funnily ended up as "couleur" in modern French). But I also believe there are many other origins for the "our sound. For example Neighbour, I think comes from German "ur".

Jun 16, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #1,305 of 6,342
I think I really need to hear the GS-X and especially the 009's. Like I have said before, loving my BHA-1/ HD800 combo, but maybe I should check out what I may be missing. And yes, love the BDA-2, about to order a second one, its really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back