The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Jan 10, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #6,271 of 6,342
Just picked up a used polished red GS-X MKII. I'm hoping it will drive the DCA Expanse better than the Benchmark HPA4. The HPA4 is just too soft for the Expanse, even though it outputs 6 Watts.

I have notice that the bass sounds flabby on the GS-X MKII with the Expanse. Anyone know why? I'm running on high gain and using the Gustard R26 through the XLR input.
What’s the dc offset? I would use the low gain. Your problem is likely the source and not the amp. I think you jumped the gun on this one

Jan 10, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #6,272 of 6,342
You could just use canned air and blow it out. Or use an ESD anti-static vacuum.

If you want to get down and dirty and clean the entire volume control, here's a howto:

https://www.jimmyauw.com/2013/06/09/cleaning-dact-stepped-attenuator/
Yes was thinking air, what about an electric contact cleaner spray? I really don't want to take the attenuator apart if possible.

What’s the dc offset? I would use the low gain. Your problem is likely the source and not the amp. I think you jumped the gun on this one
Both dac & amp have their own independent power circuit, also the dac is network feed using FMC "Fiber Media Converter". Gain isn't the issue I believe as L M H gains give the same result unfortunately.

Jan 10, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #6,273 of 6,342
Yes was thinking air, what about an electric contact cleaner spray? I really don't want to take the attenuator apart if possible.

Both dac & amp have their own independent power circuit, also the dac is network feed using FMC "Fiber Media Converter". Gain isn't the issue I believe as L M H gains give the same result unfortunately.
LMH gain all sound different on both mk1 and mk2. Stick with low gain unless it’s not enough. I have not found the need to go M or H and I run HE6se off of it no problem.

I just asked him to measure the dc offset as that could affect bass output.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #6,274 of 6,342
LMH gain all sound different on both mk1 and mk2. Stick with low gain unless it’s not enough. I have not found the need to go M or H and I run HE6se off of it no problem.

I just asked him to measure the dc offset as that could affect bass output.
Ok sorry, I thought you were talking about dc feedback through devices on the same circuit, What should it measure for MHL depending on volume for example or as long as left right measure the same?

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #6,275 of 6,342
Jan 11, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #6,276 of 6,342
So here is an unpopular opinion. GSX mk1 can sound better than mk2 in some setup and mk1 with mk2 modules is a better sounding amp than mk2.

I always wished Justin would continue to sell the mk1 alongside mk2 because they sound different. Mk2 modules make going from mk1 to mk2 and back very easy to do.

MK1 is going to do poorer job driving planars because of the lack of current. We also don't really have many data points comparing both versions although my personal theory is the sound difference is largely depending on the type of JFET used.

Jan 11, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #6,277 of 6,342

If you want to clean the contacts without taking it apart, use something that evaporates like isopropyl alcohol.

Jan 11, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #6,279 of 6,342
MK1 is going to do poorer job driving planars because of the lack of current. We also don't really have many data points comparing both versions although my personal theory is the sound difference is largely depending on the type of JFET used.
Still plenty of power to me. I had both versions and kept the MKI and upgrade to the Dynalo + modules.

Jan 11, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #6,280 of 6,342
So here is the thing, you are absolutely correct in theory and almost correct in practice depending on the source. With GSX2 modules, both GSX2 and GS-1 (with GSX2 modules) have exhibited slightly (very) better bass definition and sub bass quantity, which would suggest the original bipolar design had some limitation in delivering the required current for HE6 and similarly difficult to drive cans. HOWEVER, that minor added bass definition and quantity is offset by less natural rendition of the midrange, treble, perceived resolution and timbre quality, depending on the source components. With Linn as the front end, the JFET mk2 modules tend to do better overall if I am using something along the line of Audeze or similarly voiced cans. With Emm Labs as the front end, the JFET mk2 is simply a touch too hot for all my cans. The midrange took on a less natural tone, the treble is a bit too much for me to handle and that resulted in lower perceived resolution as now I am so focused on the treble and that masked some finer details elsewhere.

I have gone back and forth between mk1 and mk2 modules for GSX and GS-1 and those are my thoughts. For now, I have reverted GSX2 to GSX1 and paired that with Emm Labs and have GS-1 with GSX2 modules paired with Linn. The most shocking bit for you to think about - all the Audezes I own/tried in my system actually do better on Justin's very first dynalo amp (the one that he initially sold as a kit and later updated to V2SE) on singled ended than any of the company's later offerings, even the latest gsx2.

I am fully subscribed to the saying if it ain't broken don't fix it. I have heard similar "upgrade" (but regression in my view) with amps from manufacturers. So not every upgrade is an actual upgrade.

Jan 11, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #6,281 of 6,342
So here is the thing, you are absolutely correct in theory and almost correct in practice depending on the source. With GSX2 modules, both GSX2 and GS-1 (with GSX2 modules) have exhibited slightly (very) better bass definition and sub bass quantity, which would suggest the original bipolar design had some limitation in delivering the required current for HE6 and similarly difficult to drive cans. HOWEVER, that minor added bass definition and quantity is offset by less natural rendition of the midrange, treble, perceived resolution and timbre quality, depending on the source components. With Linn as the front end, the JFET mk2 modules tend to do better overall if I am using something along the line of Audeze or similarly voiced cans. With Emm Labs as the front end, the JFET mk2 is simply a touch too hot for all my cans. The midrange took on a less natural tone, the treble is a bit too much for me to handle and that resulted in lower perceived resolution as now I am so focused on the treble and that masked some finer details elsewhere.

I have gone back and forth between mk1 and mk2 modules for GSX and GS-1 and those are my thoughts. For now, I have reverted GSX2 to GSX1 and paired that with Emm Labs and have GS-1 with GSX2 modules paired with Linn. The most shocking bit for you to think about - all the Audezes I own/tried in my system actually do better on Justin's very first dynalo amp (the one that he initially sold as a kit and later updated to V2SE) on singled ended than any of the company's later offerings, even the latest gsx2.

I am fully subscribed to the saying if it ain't broken don't fix it. I have heard similar "upgrade" (but regression in my view) with amps from manufacturers. So not every upgrade is an actual upgrade.

Hmm that sounds interesting, do you have the original MK1 or MK2 unit? From what I understand from Tyll's Inner Fidelity review that the MK1 had a different PS design.

Jan 11, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #6,282 of 6,342
Hmm that sounds interesting, do you have the original MK1 or MK2 unit? From what I understand from Tyll's Inner Fidelity review that the MK1 had a different PS design.
I have the MK1 unit and MK2 modules. I have heard MK2 units over many years so pretty familiar with the sound - not much different from MK2 modules. MK1 has a more robust PS than MK2, so there is that.

Jan 11, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #6,283 of 6,342
Here are the PS of GSX and GSX-2

Attachments

• gsx-mk2-24.jpg
    gsx-mk2-24.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • gsx_psu_inside_high.jpg
    gsx_psu_inside_high.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Jan 11, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #6,284 of 6,342
I have the MK1 unit and MK2 modules. I have heard MK2 units over many years so pretty familiar with the sound - not much different from MK2 modules. MK1 has a more robust PS than MK2, so there is that.

Ah, a meet will be nice to settle these curiosities. You can also take a listen to mine which has a custom Golden Reference power supply. :relaxed:

Jan 12, 2023 at 1:42 AM Post #6,285 of 6,342
Ah, a meet will be nice to settle these curiosities. You can also take a listen to mine which has a custom Golden Reference power supply. :relaxed:
Makes sense for you to pair gsx2 with SFD2. That’s a great combination. If you would only YOLO and get yourself an Aurender N20 :o2smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back