The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Feb 15, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #467 of 6,326
Quote:

Unless you're looking at driving low impedance/highly efficient dynamic (non-ortho) headphones. 
size]
 Too much noise floor for my tastes. The GS-1 and GS-X though are DEAD silent with even uber sensitive IEMs.

Feb 15, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #470 of 6,326
Quote:
The GS-1 and GS-X though are DEAD silent with even uber sensitive IEMs.

The GS-X on on the lowest gain is dead quiet with IEM.  The GS-1 is very good... my goto amp for my HD800s, but it is not dead quiet with IEM.  Somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2  turn of the volume knob on the GS-1 and I can make out noise with my IEMs.  But I guess this is a technical detail rather than practical.  A 1/4 turn and my ears would be hurting with most tracks.

--Mark

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #471 of 6,326
Quote:

The GS-X on on the lowest gain is dead quiet with IEM.  The GS-1 is very good... my goto amp for my HD800s, but it is not dead quiet with IEM.  Somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2  turn of the volume knob on the GS-1 and I can make out noise with my IEMs.

--Mark

The unity gain (Low) on the GS-X is a brilliant idea. Some older GS-1s didn't have it set to unity, so that might explain the issues with your GS-1?

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #476 of 6,326
Quote:
The unity gain (Low) on the GS-X is a brilliant idea. Some older GS-1s didn't have it set to unity, so that might explain the issues with your GS-1?

Yes, the gain of 1 on the GS-X makes it extremely versatile.  I do have a one of the older GS-1 and it's low certainly has more gain than the low on the GS-X.  I have assumed that the low gain on my GS-1 was 3 since that is what the information sheet about the gs-1 at headamp.com says was the standard.

--Mark

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #478 of 6,326
Quote:

Yes, the gain of 1 on the GS-X makes it extremely versatile.  I do have a one of the older GS-1 and it's low certainly has more gain than the low on the GS-X.  I have assumed that the low gain on my GS-1 was 3 since that is what the information sheet about the gs-1 at headamp.com says was the standard.

--Mark

I do hear some hum with my GS-X on medium gain, so it could be the gain of 3? Before I bought my GS-X, I had Justin's second last GS-1 and with unity gain for low, it too was dead silent with IEMs.

Quote:
lol...  I was talking about IEMs  my bad
biggrin.gif

No problemo. 

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #479 of 6,326
since the input signals to the pot and from pot to board represents a high impedance circuit, it's going to be much more prone to picking up random noise.  having those jacks, pot, and signal routing directly mounted on the PCB will do much for noise attenuation.  the B22 boards themselves are dead quiet with my 103dB HPs and gain of 8x despite being a fairly complex design with discrete components - it's the wiring to and from the pot and layout that can introduce noise.     

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #480 of 6,326
Quote:
since the input signals to the pot and from pot to board represents a high impedance circuit, it's going to be much more prone to picking up random noise.  having those jacks, pot, and signal routing directly mounted on the PCB will do much for noise attenuation.  the B22 boards themselves are dead quiet with my 103dB HPs and gain of 8x despite being a fairly complex design with discrete components - it's the wiring to and from the pot and layout that can introduce noise.     

For the record, I have never heard a B22 from SolderworksAudio. 
size]

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back