The HD650's are missing something, what headphones will fill the gap?
Aug 24, 2010 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Thaddy

Headphoneus Supremus
I used to own HD650's a few years ago and had always found them to be "perfect" for me.  The sound signature they offered up was exactly what I preferred.  However, recently I purchased a newer pair and have found that they seem to be lacking a bit of the lower end punch that I recall.  I can't quite pinpoint it, but I'm left wanting more.

I'm currently using the PS Audio DL III DAC and Woo Audio WA2 amp.  I'm quite sure it's not a problem with my equipment.

That being said, what headphones do you think would offer up a similar sound signature of the HD650's while improving on the low end?  I'm not concerned about price, but they have to be dynamic and single-ended, preferably with a higher impedance (the WA2 is an OTL design).  90% of my listening is 70's/80's classic rock, grunge, and newer rock.  Some favorites would be Rush, Led Zeppelin, Alice in Chains, Tool, etc...

DT 880's?  Tesla T1?  AH-D5000?

Aug 24, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #2 of 11
the dt880 won't probably make you happy regarding the low end as it is lacking in bass quantity against the hd650. the dt990 has more of the low end, but the signature is way different from the hd650 as it is bright sounding...

no experience with the denons, but they might sound closer to the hd650 than the dt990...

Aug 24, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 11
I would look at recabling first, before trying a different phone.  I'm assuming that you are using the stock cable, which should be immediately discarded or hidden out of sight after purchase.

I have personally disliked the HD650s out of the box and almost returned them until I had a chance to try the Whiplash X Reference cable.  You can read about it in my review located in the sig block "Duel of the Xes."  There are other cables on the market as well, and I have not auditioned most of them, but none of those I have come even close to what this cable has to offer in terms of overall improvement on these particular headphones.

Just another alternative to consider.

Aug 24, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #4 of 11
I'd be interested in the same sort of 'phone as well.  Like the HD650 but deeper and with a bit more thump.  I've done plenty of looking myself but never really found anything ideal.

The DT880s have less bass.
The T1s have a little more bass, but a lot more treble.
The D5000s certainly bring the bass, but the treble is a bit harsh and sibilant compared to the HD650s

I've just been EQing mine recently, but that's not an ideal solution so I'm still keeping an eye out for something better.

Aug 24, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #5 of 11
The DT880s don't have anything close to the bass "shake" of the HD650s. Both the T1 and DT990s have markedly sharper treble for a much brighter, more involving listening experience. You may really enjoy them, but you may also miss the Senns' signature laid-back tone.

Of the cans that I've tried, the ones that best approximate the laid-back Sennheiser sound but with measurably better bass are the LA2000 Lites.The Lawton mod takes the sizzle out of the treble and tightens up the bass a lot.

Aug 25, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 11
What are everyone's thoughts on the HE-5LE's versus the LCD-2's?  I know there is a large price difference but I believe I've narrowed my search down to these two and I'm having a very difficult time deciding which to purchase.  They will be driven by my Woo Audio WA2.  Not ideal, since it's OTL, however both headphones seem to be power hungry.

Aug 25, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
What are everyone's thoughts on the HE-5LE's versus the LCD-2's?  I know there is a large price difference but I believe I've narrowed my search down to these two and I'm having a very difficult time deciding which to purchase.  They will be driven by my Woo Audio WA2.  Not ideal, since it's OTL, however both headphones seem to be power hungry.

I heard both. You will need a transformer coupled amp for either or a SS amp to get best results. The HE5Le  was on par with other 700.00 cans and the LCD2 was better. If you do not have the right amp and IMO OTL are not the right amp you are in for disappointment.

Aug 25, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #8 of 11
From my limited experience with the HE-5LE, they were harder to drive than the LCD-2.  I also found the sound more congested in the HE-5LE.  Caveat is that this was a short listening session at a meet, as I do not own HE-5LE's.  I listened to both on the Liquid Fire hybrid prototype, and have a decent amount of listening time with the LCD-2 on a Stacker hybrid.

Aug 25, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
I heard both. You will need a transformer coupled amp for either or a SS amp to get best results. The HE5Le  was on par with other 700.00 cans and the LCD2 was better. If you do not have the right amp and IMO OTL are not the right amp you are in for disappointment.

Have you listened to either out of an OTL-type amp? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back