The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jul 17, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #12,766 of 12,991
The TH600 would be a good choice.
I have been researching the different models they have but i actually have looked into the th600, too much. How would these compare to the th900?

I also so alot of people recommending the th-x00 purplehearts.Not as an aggressive V shape as the th900's but close to it. From what ive read the 900's have the widest sound stage, which is appealing to me.

TH-900 is definitely end game when it comes to closed back basshead headphones. There is 1 for 650 on classifieds. Keep grabbing them on regular basis. Especially when moving around the house with portable gear, because even then they still sound wonderful!
I just saw that. Tempted to just grab em, but just wanted to see what input others had. First big purchase, but i know sound is very subjective.

Jul 17, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #12,767 of 12,991
I just saw that. Tempted to just grab em, but just wanted to see what input others had. First big purchase, but i know sound is very subjective.
I see you are using EQ APO, so you can always make adjustments to make it to your liking. But V shape is pretty much how they sound yes with some very prominent highs. Pad rolling is also a way to change the sound sig. I put Eikon pads on it. This increases the bass and lowers the highs just a little, which makes it sound very smooth without EQ. But of course to make this beast shine, you want to increase the bass a lot because it takes it like no tomorrow. Never heard the TH-600 and th-x00 purplehearts though, so can't comment on that.

Jul 17, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #12,768 of 12,991
I see you are using EQ APO, so you can always make adjustments to make it to your liking. But V shape is pretty much how they sound yes with some very prominent highs. Pad rolling is also a way to change the sound sig. I put Eikon pads on it. This increases the bass and lowers the highs just a little, which makes it sound very smooth without EQ. But of course to make this beast shine, you want to increase the bass a lot because it takes it like no tomorrow. Never heard the TH-600 and th-x00 purplehearts though, so can't comment on that.
Thanks for your responses, ive seen alot of people recommending different pads too to fit their liking. Ive never been against using eq like others, but i get reasoning behind it.

Aug 25, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #12,770 of 12,991
My 15 year bass journey... unless I hear rumors about some new headphone with really deep bass, I'm done. :)

L1105113.jpg

Ultrasone Pro 900 - this was my entry 15 years ago... must admit, it was a downgrade to the UE Triple.fi I had back then, but it was a start.
Fostex TH-X00 Ebony - boom town. The absolute crap build quality is what prevented me from getting TH-900 when I could afford it later (never will).
Sony MDR-Z1R - king of quantity.
DCA Ether 2 - king of quality (and depth provided you push them forward on your head).

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #12,771 of 12,991
Caldera
Atrium closed

And the most bass ever?

Those weird skullcandy crusher headphones. Rediculous bass 😂

Aug 25, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #12,772 of 12,991
My 15 year bass journey... unless I hear rumors about some new headphone with really deep bass, I'm done. :)

L1105113.jpg

Ultrasone Pro 900 - this was my entry 15 years ago... must admit, it was a downgrade to the UE Triple.fi I had back then, but it was a start.
Fostex TH-X00 Ebony - boom town. The absolute crap build quality is what prevented me from getting TH-900 when I could afford it later (never will).
Sony MDR-Z1R - king of quantity.
DCA Ether 2 - king of quality (and depth).
You must try Final D8000. The sub bass depth is i suspose maximum what headphone can go right now. Its like listening pair of speakers with subwoofer added. One of few pairs on the planet right now can do that. Of course headphones never be speakers. Sony propably can hit harder and tighter but Finals are planar bass in best form. If they dont do the trick, propably non other cannot neither. Good luck with your bass journy. My bass journey for now its end, but who know what waiting for us.

Aug 25, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #12,773 of 12,991
Aug 25, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #12,774 of 12,991
I actually tried the Ultrasone Signature X from drop and they are very enjoyable in the bass department. The best change for me was not using the tiny pads or the big pads on the new one, but using the brainwavz oval instead. Great rumble when properly amped and handles EDM very well. For pure punch there's def better and I have not tried the two you have.
What's great for pure punch

Aug 25, 2023 at 8:49 PM Post #12,775 of 12,991
Aug 25, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #12,776 of 12,991
What's great for pure punch
TH900 with EQ definitely cured my itch for now. Without any EQ they do sound good imo, the treble doesnt bother me but neither did the treble on my beyer dt770 pro 250ohm which alot of people complain about. Ive had the TH900 for about a month now and absolutely love them. I might upgrade my amp/dac next. Ive just been using a Schitt Hel which has more then enough power to drive them. But ive heard these phones can sound very different depending on your amp.

Aug 25, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #12,777 of 12,991
TH900 with EQ definitely cured my itch for now. Without any EQ they do sound good imo, the treble doesnt bother me but neither did the treble on my beyer dt770 pro 250ohm which alot of people complain about. Ive had the TH900 for about a month now and absolutely love them. I might upgrade my amp/dac next. Ive just been using a Schitt Hel which has more then enough power to drive them. But ive heard these phones can sound very different depending on your amp.
What pure punch means for you

Aug 26, 2023 at 1:40 AM Post #12,778 of 12,991
These are my Ultrasone Signature X's = Highest level of bass I've ever heard in a pair of can's to date. They are bass monsters! :L3000:

IMG-4987.jpg
IMG-5001.jpg

IMG-4981.jpg

IMG-4968.jpg
IMG-4973.jpg

Aug 26, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #12,780 of 12,991
Yeah ok, but they punch? I bet the drums don't go hard as others like the dxp, I ment the impact in the upper bass.

Oh yes they punch alright, they punch the drums harder then my broken JVC SZ1000's, and my now broken V-Moda Crossfade LP2's! Plus, I also add some extra bass boost with my hardware EQ, and thats a good amount of extra bass, perfect for any basshead like me. But yeah, these can's most certainly do punch good, I've never owned a pair of can's that punched as hard as these.

Now, thats not to say that there arn't other can's out there that punch even harder then these do. But I haven't sampled the entire universe of can's as many of you folks have on Head-Fi. I've only owned 3 quality pairs of can's, the ones I've mentioned in this post. All there other headphones I have are lower quality on ears stuff that are not audiophile grade, plus 1-pair of IEM's.

Incase it wasn't obvious, I feel it important to mention, you need to power these can's with a quality amp. Yes, they are only 32-OHM can's, but unless your willing to put 1 to 2 watts per channel into them, don't even bother. I have a S.M.S.L SP200 AMP, which produces 3-watts per channel into 32-OHMS, which is perfect for these can's.

Also, for a pair of closed backs, these impressed me with having some pretty solid soundstage! Most of the time you need open backs for that, but these most certainly hold their own IMO. They have pretty good dynamics, and seem to cover the entire frequency range fairly decently. I've also razed the high frequencies as well in EQ, because while I am a basshead, I do also appreciate crystal clear highs.

If you were to power these with a tube amp, the sound signature would be even warmer still. But I prefer my sound to be analytical, so thats why I use a solid state THX certified AMP. At the end of the day, sound is so subjective to everyones tastes. I'd recommend just getting them, and have a listen to them yourself. If you don't like them, you could always just sell them.

The Ultrasone Signature X's are supposedly made in Germany, according to the label on the headband, so thats a plus in my book. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back