The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Aug 3, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #1,531 of 12,991

The cookies??

Oooooh the cooooookiiiies!!!

Firefox clears my cache automatically and it shows the Wiki and this thread to be #1 and #2

if I'm missing something besides awesome...
just enjoy this moment of Zen​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​

Sooooo
We should work on that New Top 10 list 
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #1,532 of 12,991
[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/ZZKkxAQYxyE[/VIDEO]​

Blade Runner parody:

SZ2K is Deckard (Harrison Ford) & FOSTEX TH900 is Batty (Rutger Hauer).

Epic final showdown scene where Batty must face the inevitable that he's tried to avoid throughout the film, but in the end, though he put up an immense struggle throughout, he must accept what cannot be avoided.

TH900 meets it's maker with a request for more :D
[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/TNprUC1ncko[/VIDEO]​

Aug 3, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #1,534 of 12,991

The only person qualified to give a definitive statement is you.
Assuming the Cowon was at 34 volume for you then we used identical hardware on identical settings playing an identical track. When played side by side on large monitors the sz2000 are akin to desktop speakers. That's good and bad. They drive easy and go loud but never shrill on the highs. I thought your test track sounded excellent when I listened over ears. I came away more impressed with the sz than I thought going in v.s. the TH.

Until @cb3723  showed it it was just a rumor...it's bass prowess. And not a single owner cared to prove or show it. Like the Sig DJ. You think nobody is gonna buy the TH900 after seeing that it's a Hi-Fi low end monster? I can show my PM section STUFFED with sz inquiries and that's just the folks who were members or joined just to PM me. People grossly underestimate the desire for robust even head punching bass when called upon.  The Beats hate has had several side effects and admitting you're a basshead ....even just sometimes....is one of them.

I think the sz2000 are better on sub-bass. I know the TH are better at upper bass and bass to mid trans. There is no debate on which is overall superior. I still hold the SZ to be the chronic bassheads best final option. And when you wanna join the secret handshake society but take the epic bass with you ...you clearly have one best option....the TH.

21 million 500,000 returns and we (our Wiki) is not doing to bad 
cool.gif

well thanks to you and CB for making this epic thread.  weaning out the so called bass cans from the "real" ones.  There are a lot of us out there that needed this place.  Its like a support group for our types 
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #1,535 of 12,991

The only reason I buy aftermarket cables is for sturdiness/durability. They really don't do **** regarding sound quality, in fact Tomshardware still has a million dollar reward or something like that if you can actually prove that they do.

Thats my position also: I may invest in cables if I need other lengths, prefer the look etc. But there is absolutely no reason to believe cables can change the sound signature in any perceivable way. And reading how a cable made a headphone a whole different one gives me shivers each and every time... Instead of such discussions I prefer people having fun with music (and maybe fooling around with tech toys :wink:

And while I nowadays prefer a more balanced signature I've been there and done that: working part-time as a sound engineer I outfitted parties with bad things (multiple double-12" hornloaded infras, multiple 18" hornloaded subs with several 10kW) I do know bone-shaking bass can be fun.

But the hard thing is keeping it clean... be it headphones or sound systems, what I now really admire is a clean overall sound signature (which is allowed to have massive bass if the music calls for, no question about that), nothing beats the feeling of live-like dynamics for me... thats why I never use bandpass-based subs.

To me @cb3723 toying around with the Fostexes is a prime example of the now existing technical possibility to get both things: stay clean and kick ass :wink:
I understand that they are financially not a sane choice (OK, the TH600 is actually not really expensive for what it does), but going over the top is always going to be rather expensive.

As I understand the Sig DJ is also approved for its bass capabilities and is another example of a fine sounding headphone that kicks quite hard when asked to do so. I enjoy it quite a bit after initially dismissing it as overly bassy (from a short experience at a fair). While it is not lightweight for sure it has such a nice and clean bass presentation that its simply fun with EDM (my main genre, especially when mobile). CB was just right with his characterization of the Sig DJ: a seducing little devil, sitting on the other shoulder.

Aug 3, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #1,539 of 12,991
well thanks to you and CB for making this epic thread.  weaning out the so called bass cans from the "real" ones.  There are a lot of us out there that needed this place.  Its like a support group for our types :D .

Thank you.

I believe the upcoming top 10 chart and approved extreme basshead approved cans will be a concise and relevant reference of bass headphones currently around.

Reading some online top 10 bass headphones listings is cringe worthy when you see the likes of the SONY MDR-1R been touted and recommended as the number 1 can :confused_face_2: - whilst the MDR-1R is a very good can in many attributes - to publish it as number one bass headphone anywhere is just incorrect and ultimately misleading.

Hopefully this upcoming listings may steer some in the right direction :)

Thats my position also: I may invest in cables if I need other lengths, prefer the look etc. But there is absolutely no reason to believe cables can change the sound signature in any perceivable way. And reading how a cable made a headphone a whole different one gives me shivers each and every time... Instead of such discussions I prefer people having fun with music (and maybe fooling around with tech toys :wink:

And while I nowadays prefer a more balanced signature I've been there and done that: working part-time as a sound engineer I outfitted parties with bad things (multiple double-12" hornloaded infras, multiple 18" hornloaded subs with several 10kW) I do know bone-shaking bass can be fun.

But the hard thing is keeping it clean... be it headphones or sound systems, what I now really admire is a clean overall sound signature (which is allowed to have massive bass if the music calls for, no question about that), nothing beats the feeling of live-like dynamics for me... thats why I never use bandpass-based subs.

To me @cb3723
 toying around with the Fostexes is a prime example of the now existing technical possibility to get both things: stay clean and kick ass :wink:
I understand that they are financially not a sane choice (OK, the TH600 is actually not really expensive for what it does), but going over the top is always going to be rather expensive.

As I understand the Sig DJ is also approved for its bass capabilities and is another example of a fine sounding headphone that kicks quite hard when asked to do so. I enjoy it quite a bit after initially dismissing it as overly bassy (from a short experience at a fair). While it is not lightweight for sure it has such a nice and clean bass presentation that its simply fun with EDM (my main genre, especially when mobile). CB was just right with his characterization of the Sig DJ: a seducing little devil, sitting on the other shoulder.

You're spot on in your synopsis - the FOSTEX TH600 & 900 are truly remarkable in bass quality and quantity of impact as well as been very well accomplished in all other registers, with the Signature DJ having possibly one of the best controlled and defined with texture bass response you can get from a closed back headphone - just superb - all three of these cans keep the bass tight and punchy with no bleeding into mids or highs.

The only anomaly out of the three is the Sig DJ which due to its S-Logic technology also reducing SPL levels of up to 40% as an added safety measure incorporated by ULTRASONE - it's physical bass impact is reserved and corresponds on the bass/paper test. As physical impact how hard it hits is the main criteria of this thread, it's SPL reduction keeps it out the top 10, but nonetheless is still highly recommended for it's amazing quality of bass and overall stellar sound signature that is as you state - simply fun :)

This track sounds immense on any basshead can in the top ten and upcoming revised basshead recommended headphones listing which will include the Sig DJ :)

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/nOVJ4m0Q-Cg[/VIDEO]​

Aug 3, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #1,540 of 12,991
What WS99 out of top 10 hahaha XB700 someone says.....

The WS99 is an awesome basshead headphone for sure and the fact it's been featured in the top 10 up till now is testament of this, but IMO of owning both these cans, the XB700 hit harder than the WS99's, and the physical hit is the criteria of this thread.

Obviously opinions will always vary and me and HBB are not any definitive authority on basshead headphones - we do our best based on hands on listening and providing bass/paper test videos as a visual to convey our reviews of respective headphones listed and mentioned.

Your opinion respectfully made is as valid as any.

Have you considered doing your own bass/paper test video for your WS99's? :wink:

AUDIO TECHNICA - so much win :)

Aug 3, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #1,541 of 12,991

TOP 10  November 2014 

1. J.V.C HA-SZ2000 

Driver size: 55mm "Sub-woofer"/ 30mm CNT  

Impedance:16 Ohm
Amp Headroom: Exceptional +30dB @45Hz
EQ: Needs
Genre' (anything)
Weakness: Veiled , Poor stock pads.

DAP: COWON iAudio10

EQ:
5 Band (Flat)

JetEffects :
BBE+8
Mach3Bass +9
Volume: 34

AMP: FiiO e12

Bass Boost "on"
Gain switch "on"
Vol 50-60%

2. FOSTEX TH900

Driver size: 50mm dia Nd magnet

Impedance 25 Ohm
Amp Headroom: 

EQ: Needs (raise bass only)
Genre' Anything
Weakness:...Price?

AP: COWON iAudio10  
EQ:
5 Band (Flat)

JetEffects :
BBE+8
Mach3Bass +9

Bass Boost "on"
Gain switch "on"
Vol 50-60%

3. Sony XB1000

Driver size: 70mm Mylar (PET) 

Impedance 24 Ohm
Amp Headroom: ?
Genre' (HipHop/EDM/?)
Weakness:pillow pads absorb too much of the hit.

EQ:
5 Band (Flat)

JetEffects :
BBE+8
Mach3Bass +9

Bass Boost "on"
Gain switch "on"
Vol 50-60%

4. J.V.C HA-SZ1000   

Driver size: 55mm "Sub-woofer"/ 30mm CNT                                                                                                        

​
Impedance 16 Ohm
Amp Headroom: Exceptional +30dB @45Hz
Genre' (anything)
Weakness: less veiled than sz2k but veiled , Poor stock pads.  

DAP: ipad  
EQ:
"Equalizer" app
42Hz Q 1.000 +7.9dB
51Hz Q 1.000 +7.7dB
78Hz Q 5.000 +2.8dB

Bass Boost "on"
Gain switch "on"
Vol 50-60%

5. FOSTEX TH600                          

Driver size: Driver:50mm dia Nd magnet / bio-dynamic diaphragm

Impedance 25 Ohm
Amp Headroom: 
Genre' Anything

Weakness:.

AP: COWON iAudio10

EQ:
5 Band (Flat)

JetEffects :
BBE+8
Mach3Bass +9

Bass Boost "on"
Gain switch "on"
Vol 50-60%

6. JVC HA-MR77x

Driver size: 57mm Mylar (PET)

Impedance 46 Ohm
Amp Headroom: Good/Great 16-20dB @45Hz

EQ: Needs (to raise mids)
Genre' (Hip-Hop)
Weakness: mids sound like ass.

EQ:
5 Band (Flat)

JetEffects :
BBE+8
Mach3Bass +9

Bass Boost "on"
Gain switch "on"
Vol 50-60%

7. HPH Yamaha Pro 500

Driver size: 50mm Mylar (PET)

Impedance 32 Ohm
Amp Headroom: ?
Genre' (Anything)
Weakness:pad size (shallow)

EQ:
5 Band (Flat)

JetEffects :
BBE+8
Mach3Bass +9

Bass Boost "on"
Gain switch "on"
Vol 50-60%

8.Audio Technica -ATH Pro700mk2

Driver size: 53mm Mylar (PET)

Impedance 68 Ohm
Genre' (Anything)

EQ:
5 Band (Flat)

JetEffects :
BBE+8
Mach3Bass +9

Bass Boost "on"
Gain switch "on"
Vol 50-60%

9. V-MODA Crossfade M-100

Impedance 32 Ohm
Genre' (Anything)

EQ:
5 Band (Flat)

JetEffects :
BBE+8
Mach3Bass +9

Bass Boost "on"
Gain switch "on"
Vol 50-60%

10. Monster Beats DETOX Pro

Impedance 32 Ohm
Amp Headroom: Good +14dB @45Hz
Genre' (Hip-Hop/EDM)
Weakness: (?)  

EQ:
5 Band (Flat)

JetEffects :
BBE+8
Mach3Bass +9

Bass Boost "on"
Gain switch "on"
Vol 50-60%

Best 40mm

Driver size: 40mm  Mylar (PET)

Impedance 32 Ohm
EQ: Needs (raise bass only,?)
Genre' (Hip-Hop/EDM/Gaming)
Weakness:Mids like ass?

Configurations used

1. Source
Cowon iAudio10
flat eq,
Mach3Bass +9
BBE+8

AMP
Fiio E12 - 16db gain,
bass boost on,

--------------------
  1. Source
Sony NWZ E473
Clear Bass +3,
flat eq,

AMP
Fiio E12 - 16db gain,
bass boost on,

--------------------
  1. Source
Apple Ipad
App - "Equalizer",
eq,
42Hz Q 1.000 +7.9dB
51Hz Q 1.000 +7.7dB
78Hz Q 5.000 +2.8dB

AMP
Fiio E12 - 16db gain,
bass boost on,

--------------------
  1. Source
HTC ONE M8
BoomSound "on"

AMP
Fiio E11 - 11dB gain,
bass boost on,

Notes & Thoughts

The bass paper test is just a visual of what is heard and felt on ear.  It's pretty damn accurate. The cans you think will do well usually do and the ones that you don't think will... often don't.  
Thanks to the folks that participate and take the time to show new ways to get to basstopia.
If I had a set of cans that hit harder than one on the list I'd do it in a heartbeat, share the exact settings and let my vid replace 500 words of stuff already said about can "A".

If you can lounge around threads talking about not too much really... you could put a face to the bass. I'll eventually get to em' anyway .

_______
Oh I'm not playing that game...it's dumb

or

**plays dumb game...kicks major azz .....and waaaalks away laughing**
______

I'd do the 2nd one cuz I'm competitive like that.

Folks..
There wasn't a wiki or a list to even argue about much less anyone even trying to be creative with an easy to mimic way of showing low energy force.  Nada. Just words.

If you disagree with the list be a productive member and shave 5 minutes off your life showing something.  If you're not a basshead you should just enjoy the view. I don't troll Stax threads or any other thread that is not in my range of interest. This thread is 149 pages of non flaming and name calling. It's been great sans 4 events and one needed a mod and 3 were worked out among adults and self edited. If you have a bad moment I'll ask you to get a hold of yourself
(it happens...we all get wound up sometimes) if you don't edit I'll flag ya and the folks who need to know ...they know this thread is clean. It will stay that way. You have the tracks and EXACT settings from multiple hardware sources.

This is a collection of the hardest hitting cans. Nothing more.
Nobody is claiming anything besides the fact that these 10 will thump your head.
There are no links provided. We do not do sales by proxy. Find your own links.
You proceed with the knowledge that nothing is better than a personal listening experience.

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #1,542 of 12,991
While I don't agree on putting the XB1000 below the TH600 or SZ1000, I do agree on the WS99 being off the list. It's a good headphone but it just doesn't hit that hard when it comes down to it. I kept my WS99 so I would have something nice for portable use.

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #1,543 of 12,991
While I don't agree on putting the XB1000 below the TH600 or SZ1000, I do agree on the WS99 being off the list. It's a good headphone but it just doesn't hit that hard when it comes down to it. I kept my WS99 so I would have something nice for portable use.

The WS99 will be listed on the upcoming basshead recommended list

And all opinions on extreme headphones are welcomed - intelligent debate is always for the win :)

Until I EQ'd the bass on my TH600 & 900's and experienced the sheer quantity of bass these things actually put out, I may have overlooked them, but once I did - dear lord - these two Shogun assassins from Japan really showed the full Fury of the Fostex :evil:

I always knew the SQ quality was heavy duty with the Fostex's just not how much bass quantity was available - until now.

Big shout out to ati832 for bringing the Fostex flagship to the attention of the extreme side of bass for sure :)

These cans have serious headroom for EQ

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #1,544 of 12,991
pillow pads lol... Plus change the pads on the sz1000...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back