The GrubDAC
Sep 16, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #31 of 1,079
Quote:

Originally Posted by Billyk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I may be confused....
I am looking at the cable I use as my bantam is at home, but the cable I have looks like it would plug into that adapter just like it would plug into my bantam???

Well, the discussion involved using a plug directly from a DAC - without a cable. That's why I posted that adapter pic. At least in the case of the BantamDAC, use of that adapter would allow one to plug the Bantam directly into a PCB USB slot, with no cable at all. Think about it - the adapter is the same as a cable with the intervening wiring.
wink.gif

Frankly, I prefer to remove the cable from the other end (the RCA interconnect) and make a BantamCableDAC. I was just addressing the subject at hand in the thread, though. This all assumes one had a Bantam already built and the USB male connector was already soldered to the board. I hope that makes sense - didn't mean to be confusing.

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #32 of 1,079
It's the Male B on the Bantam that tomb is talking about (which is different than stock).

Just thinking about how long that would stick out from a laptop would be a great way to get a new motherboard.
tongue.gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #33 of 1,079
Quote:

Originally Posted by mugdecoffee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It just seems silly to me to require two cables to connect such a small device.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobaltmute /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't that the point of the Carrie - fitting the Bantam or this DAC and the Mini^3 into the same box as the Mini^3?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mugdecoffee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that I think about it, the Carrie solves this problem well.

If you're intent on sticking with the Mini^3 for your amp, then you're going to have to live with that other cable, not to mention the one required for charging the battery. Carrie can be built for well under $100 if you play your shipping cards right. I think right now the best option is making orders at both Mouser and Digikey, and depending on shipping price, you can build a fairly low-cost, portable and high quality DAC/amp.

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #34 of 1,079
Case, panels and all, the Carrie and Bantam can be built together with around $100. It's about $60 in parts and $40 for the panels. I imagine this dac will be similar in price to build and pair.

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #35 of 1,079
Quote:

Originally Posted by cobaltmute /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's the Male B on the Bantam that tomb is talking about (which is different than stock).

Just thinking about how long that would stick out from a laptop would be a great way to get a new motherboard.
tongue.gif

Thanks! I was staring at that thing and at the cable on my desk.... Did not mean to be argumentative, and OT, I'm sorry about that; I just couldn't get it through my thick skull. Anyway I am a cable fan and if I didn't build my first Bantam for a Carrie, I would have been a cabledac type.

Sep 17, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #37 of 1,079
cobaltmute: any word on the ability to add SPDIF out in r2?
again, keep in mind that I am perfectly happy air wiring the forward voltage and the SPDIF as long as I have a place to do so.

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #40 of 1,079
FedEx beat their own delivery standard and I ended up getting the boards today.

Good news and some annoying news for those that are interested in the boards.

The annoying news is that they were shipped as panels so I have snap them all apart. This means that edges of the boards are rough.

The good news is that for some reason they shipped me two panels instead of one so I've got a lot more boards then expected, which means the price per board drops. A slight problem with this that I can already see is that the scoring on some of the boards sucks so some of the boards are right-offs.

I'll post pictures later tonite when I'm not at work.

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #41 of 1,079
Thats good news, I'd love a board (or two!), so please let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back