The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread
Jun 21, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #151 of 1,528
I have a HD650 and have been wanting a grado (based on reviews, I have never actually heard one) as a complimentary can for my rock and metal collection for a long time. How do you think the HF-2 will do as a metal-can?
Or, should I rather go for the RS-1? Will it be worth the considerably higher price? (The HF-2 will cost me about $540 after customs, the RS-1 costs a little more than $1400(!) here in Norway)

Jun 21, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #152 of 1,528
Tom77,
Larry aka HeadphoneAddict has written some comments comparing the two.
You may search the thread or Head-Fi.

Jun 21, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #153 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a HD650 and have been wanting a grado (based on reviews, I have never actually heard one) as a complimentary can for my rock and metal collection for a long time. How do you think the HF-2 will do as a metal-can?
Or, should I rather go for the RS-1? Will it be worth the considerably higher price? (The HF-2 will cost me about $540 after customs, the RS-1 costs a little more than $1400(!) here in Norway)

I wouldn't dream of paying that difference in price for the RS-1. There are many things on the HF-2 that I actually prefer and nothing on the RS-1 worth 1k more in my opinion.

Jun 21, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #154 of 1,528
I am waiting for a HF-2, too
and am curious to compare to my RS-1.

Btw. some RS-1 have been sold the last weeks on ebay(europe) for appr. 400-450 EURO!

Jun 21, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #155 of 1,528
Well, it is a shame that no admin has been able to save my first post. I have some information that a good head-fier gave me back, for google cache, but the 1st post is no longer mine. If any admin sees this, could you sort it out or at least give me back the #1 post, so I can keep putting reviews back?

Jun 21, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #156 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it is a shame that no admin has been able to save my first post. I have some information that a good head-fier gave me back, for google cache, but the 1st post is no longer mine. If any admin sees this, could you sort it out or at least give me back the #1 post, so I can keep putting reviews back?

Why don't you try PMing a moderator?

Jun 21, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #157 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The HF-2 will fit the bill fine. Save your money.

Jun 21, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #158 of 1,528
Thanks for the replies guys!
Looks like it's going to be a HF-2 for me then, just have to convince the wife that spending hundreds of dollars on yet another headphone is a good idea:-D

Jun 21, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #159 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am waiting for a HF-2, too
and am curious to compare to my RS-1.

Btw. some RS-1 have been sold the last weeks on ebay(europe) for appr. 400-450 EURO!

I am in the same boat as you rhw and with HPA impressions in regards to the RS1, I bet more RS1 will find its way to the FS forum eventually.

Jun 24, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #160 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am burning in these HF-2 finally, which got about 24 hours of burn-in at CanJam. After listening to them on my Woo WA6 for a while today, my vote is that these are a must own Grado IF you cannot afford an APS V3 cabled RS-1 for the extra detail and soundstage (or a woodied re-cabled HF-1). You'll spend about the same as a used RS-2 for them, and enjoy them more.

With bowls the HF-2 have the rich inviting mids of the RS-2 without sounding as dull/rolled off or too forward like the RS-2. They have the bass of an RS-1 with flats and it's not overblown like the PS-1000 or PS-1, and the bass is also better than my old SR-325i. The bass detail needs work, and I suspect burn-in will help there - there is still a slight "bass cloud" over the music, since these are so fresh I think. The vocals are beautiful with these, and the re are no glaring colorations that I would like to banish yet with a re-cable or mods.

I had posted that at CanJam that I liked the HF-2 probably as much as a stock RS-1 but said that didn't have enough time to compare. But here at home my APS V3 RS-1 do have more extension, detail and transparency (with flats) than the HF-2. The soundstage is still smaller than the RS-1 as well, despite flats on the RS-1. I was not as impressed with my RS-2 or SR-325i when I had them as I am with these fresh HF-2 right now, although I thought the woodied recabled HF-1 with flats were closer to the RS-1 than any other Grado (Blutarsky now has those in partial trade for his Stax O2 Mk1).

I can imagine just how much better the micro-detail and transparency on these HF2 would be if I have them re-cabled like all my other headphones, but I am planning to leave them stock for a while first.

Thanks, HeadphoneAddict, for the first useful review of the HF2 that I've come across. I've been scanning this and the other, larger thread for a review that I could sink my teeth into. The only Grado I've heard is the GS1K, and the HF2 has caught my attention for several reasons: (1) the Head-fi connection and historic value, (2) the quality, and (3) the price. I haven't quite made up my mind, but I'm teetering on the brink.

Jun 24, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #162 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by raffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same sentiments here....I no longer need to use flats as I normally do for most Grados; bowls give me the bass I want without the flab. HF-2s also seem to reach deeper frequencies and have better bass decay relative to the HF-1s.

Thanks, raffy. I find your comment about bass very useful.

Jun 26, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #163 of 1,528
I got RS1 as my first and only cans to go with RSA apache. I chose the RS1 as my rock and metal cans, and I have been enjoying it as I put more hours on them. However, on certain recordings I feel the forward sounding makes the mid and high a bit fatiguing after a while. Based on what I read here, the HF2 remains a good choice for the type of music while as the same time being more balanced. I'm seriously considering getting a pair of HF2 to compare and possibly replace my RS1.

Jul 5, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #165 of 1,528
would be amazing no doubt. Cary amps would definately bring the noise! If anything like what Moon Audio shows for refrence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back