The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!
Jun 27, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #811 of 1,132
Quote:
Hey, welcome back! 
beerchug.gif

I wonder if the 8.35s can be modded into sounding even better or are the driver's surrounding already acoustically perfect?
More specifically though, I wonder what do the ribbed tubes do (beside protecting the wire that goes between drivers, obviously). They open inside the cups so if I remove them there's bound to be some leakage, but what if I just plug the holes? Will it make the sound less open? Will it matter at all?

Yes, I'm still contemplating my headband mod 
deadhorse.gif

I don't think there's a hole actually! Didn't see a hole when I opened them up for the cables. And besides doing the cable mod, there is little to be won with mods. And I'm not even sure if the cable mod did anything, I think so, but never got to a-b it with a stock 8.35D. 

Jun 28, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #812 of 1,132
Quote:
I don't think there's a hole actually! Didn't see a hole when I opened them up for the cables. And besides doing the cable mod, there is little to be won with mods. And I'm not even sure if the cable mod did anything, I think so, but never got to a-b it with a stock 8.35D. 

Come Belgium, you have a free A/Bing with me :D I recently changed the pads to stock pads again. I will need more isolation in couple of days (long car rides as I am passenger). It is astonishing how pads can change the sound that much. It is like I have 2 headphones 
biggrin.gif

Jun 28, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #813 of 1,132
Quote:
Come Belgium, you have a free A/Bing with me :D I recently changed the pads to stock pads again. I will need more isolation in couple of days (long car rides as I am passenger). It is astonishing how pads can change the sound that much. It is like I have 2 headphones 
biggrin.gif

The isolation really is something special; I don't think I've heard any passive isolation (yet) that can match the 8.35Ds.

Riding up all the way to California, it blocked out my sisters and the road pretty well, and I am happy to have purchased it before the ride.
Still looking to sell 'em for cheap, though -- everyone else seems to love 'em, and it'd be great to see someone else happy.

Jun 28, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #814 of 1,132
Quote:
biggrin.gif

If I will be in the neighbourhood, I'll definitely come over :wink:

Where are you going to drive to?

Jun 28, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #818 of 1,132
Quote:
Pff you should entertain your gf then, not listen to music! Or is she in charge of the radio?

Unfortunately and she is listening some French music which I can't stand. So I take my Black Sabbath with me 
happy_face1.gif

Well I can entertain her quite good but I don't want to cause an accident on highway, if you know what I mean 
wink.gif

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #820 of 1,132
Quote:
Unfortunately and she is listening some French music which I can't stand. So I take my Black Sabbath with me 
happy_face1.gif

Well I can entertain her quite good but I don't want to cause an accident on highway, if you know what I mean 
wink.gif

Black Sabbath \o/  never knew you were a metal fan. 
I guess it's reasonable that she is in charge of the radio when she is driving.

Jun 28, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #821 of 1,132
Quote:
Black Sabbath \o/  never knew you were a metal fan. 
I guess it's reasonable that she is in charge of the radio when she is driving.

I have got to admit, I am not a good driver and I have less experience than her. It is better and safier when she drives. So for me it is okay, I put my GMP with stock pads, she opens the radio and keep the volume at acceptable levels. We are both happy.

Also, I listen to variety of music but metal and rock (and their sub-genres) are my main and favorite genres.

Oct 19, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #822 of 1,132
OK update on my £100 second hand punt based solely on national audio show demo. In quietness of home found them to be neutral and bright with stock synthetic pads. Switching to the soft foils that the seller included is more pleasing. Bass presence enhanced and bright edge taken off, although still there. But much more listenable. Anyone who doubts the difference pads can make need to play with these babies

P7 bigger fun sound but GMP 8.35D value for money ratio better. My IMO

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #823 of 1,132
as long as the p7 has noticeably stronger bass than the germans I am in. Does the p7 bass extend as far as the maestros?

I miss the maestros though. Best bang for buck I know besides the ZMF modded fostex. Plus playing with pads on the maestros was fun

Nov 3, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #824 of 1,132

Poor FrankenMaestros.

Previously I tried to bend the headband into a more oval shape. The earpads were pushing quite hard above my ears. And the round shape of the headband was incredibly uncomfortable when placing the headphone around the neck.

After bending the headband, I noticed that the clamp was significantly reduced. So I molted a metal plate into a round shape, cut open the headband, and glued the metal plate onto the metal ring in the headband. The result is an oval shaped headband that fits my skull prfectly, and I can now wear it around my neck without being unable to move my head up and down.

What you are seeing in this photo, is the glue drying between the cut open leather parts. I'm using double components glue, love its strength!

Nov 3, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #825 of 1,132
  Pff you should entertain your gf then, not listen to music! Or is she in charge of the radio?

xD I hear u there man 

Poor FrankenMaestros.

Previously I tried to bend the headband into a more oval shape. The earpads were pushing quite hard above my ears. And the round shape of the headband was incredibly uncomfortable when placing the headphone around the neck.

After bending the headband, I noticed that the clamp was significantly reduced. So I molted a metal plate into a round shape, cut open the headband, and glued the metal plate onto the metal ring in the headband. The result is an oval shaped headband that fits my skull prfectly, and I can now wear it around my neck without being unable to move my head up and down.

What you are seeing in this photo, is the glue drying between the cut open leather parts. I'm using double components glue, love its strength!

Franken Indeed 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back