The Forum Signal:Noise Ratio...
Apr 6, 2009 at 1:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 118

Duggeh

Indeed
This topic has cropped up a couple of times in the past. The last time that it was brought up, Wayne went on a magnificent thread shutdown patrol, to the benefit of all. While things have not degenerated back to as bad as it was then (entire first page of the members lounge littered with pointless "What [X] Now?" threads) the rot still exists.

Many ongoing threads now, are I think, admirably focussed and offer a great self contained discussion for the topic. It's as though the format of the Stax Thread has moved on to apply for other self contained discussion within a single thread. The "pics of your rig" thread has always faciliated as much banter as it has free posting, and it will continue to do so indefinately insofar as one can see. Then theres threads about anime, Nikon (although that should probably be in gear-fi) etc.

However theres still more dross than substance. The "lets make a story" thread is massively vaccuous and totally pointless, it's of exactly the same pattern of inane spam as "TWO WORDS GAME" and "This Or That" both of which were mercifully, eventually, locked.

Then there's the "what headphones are you using now?" thread. Which you would think, this being a headphone forum, would be entirely apt? Incorrect, because this is a headphone forum, it's entirely ill-apt. It's just flowing page after flowing page of people pasting a headphone name and hitting post, sometimes with a person adding "THEY'RE AWESOME!" or similar. No discussion takes place, no conversations occur, and even if one starts up, its soon swamped in the quagmire of spam from the other people who haven't found any thread thats worth posting in or havent got anything to say but feel that they've got to fill up this time that they're spending on the internet doing SOMETHING, so they spam post their headphone.

Well that killed 5 seconds. Time to hit "new posts" again and find the "What are you listening to now? [PART 4MILLION]" thread because the next Abba track has started.

There are some people who are clearly more criminal than others in this habit of empty, void scattershot posting, you know who you are, at least I hope you do, it would be tragic if you really don't realise. Now I understand that you've got to keep up your post-per-day numbers, but just stop and think and ask if what you have to say actually constitutes a contribution of some kind or just fills a space.

Moving on, I point the forum as a whole to boomana's thread: Stop recommending gear you've never heard: rant warning. which has recently been bumped.

There are a lot of people doing this. I know it seems to sound elitist and snobby to say "newbies punching above their weight" but that is often the case. I understand that this is a new exciting hobby and that you're keen but please try to contain that a little. Everybody I think would do well to read the thread I've just linked because "X headphone" short posting in the multitudinous "what headphone shoudl I get for X reason" threads that we have here isn't actually constructive or helpful, and its even less constructive or helpful if its the only headphone you've heard, one you've only heard at meets or havent heard at all. Even providing the context of any of those three circumstances is actually helpful rather than hollow.

Now there are those of us here, who will not agree with what I have said here. And thats fine, you're entitled to make loads of posts that nobody ever actually reads before they post their own. That post-count isnt going to raise itself is it? Got to look keen after all.

I have a proposition which will help insofar as the long-and-winding pointless threads are concerned. Give them all their own sub-forum. Bring back the "what are you drinking?" "what are you wearing?" "what are you eating" now threads and mix them up with "what film are you watching" "what are you listening to now" "what headphones are you wearing" "what was the last thing you bought" "one word story" etc and put them all in their own sub forum. You could call it "the long winding endless road" or "gob****e" or something.

Here's the kicker. Tick the system box which means that not one single post made in these threads contributes to an individuals post count. Better yet, retroactively move all those old locked spam threads into the sub forum and watch those who don't help oil this machine but just steal its grease vanish from the supremus list. You can also bet that the levels of traffic in those threads will drop exponentially. People will say that they aren't about post count, that they dont care about post count, thats not the point. But I bet my bottom dollar that if post count was removed from those threads, those same people that say that wouldn't post any more.

Can't do anything similar for those users who individually have a bad signal:noise ratio, other than to point out to them that they spam a load of crap and hopefully get them to realise the error of their ways, which isn't readily allowable under the forum conduct rules because it's easily classifiable as an attack, but the threads plan is workable.

An alternative solution would be to remove the post count display altogether, although I do not believe that it would work so well to reduce noise posting.

Apr 6, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #2 of 118
Hmm, at the end of the day I find it best to just ignore the threads you have no interest in or consider pointless. I don 't see how it really is hurting the site.

Apr 6, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #3 of 118
Ignoring threads isn't that simple. In an Ideal world we'd be able to ignore threads much as we can with individual users, but in reality, it's often the case that threads get bumped up to the top, and therefore noticed more, and therefore commented on more, and can sit at the top of a forum, with nothing much being said in them, for days, if not weeks.

I'll freely admit that I've posted a few times in the What headphone's are you using thread, but probably not more than 3 or 4 times in a since it was spawned. Some people feel the need to post in it with every change of headphones it seems. The what are you listening to now threads are much the same. I believe Duggeh, umm *dug up* some rather interesting stats on that one once before.

Personally, I'm pretty sure everyone has at least a few posts that are not that helpful, or don't add much to a conversation (myself included). But people posting stuff that's just not helpful seems to be getting a bit too common these days.

I'd be happier to have 1000 good quality posts over 4 years than 10,000 utterly useless posts in the same time. That some people are posting 10-15 posts a day doesnt sound so high until you realise that's like 300-450 a month.. and almost all about non headphone related stuff.
frown.gif

I'd fully support Duggeh's idea for a forum where posts don't count towards your totals, as long as we could inmplement some kind of "vote to have this thread moved to the junk forum" button on new threads..

It's never a popular idea to stand up and suggest that things might be getting a bit out of hand here, but I for one agree with pretty much every thing Duggeh has mentioned.

Now, if we can just work on agenda posters - Stax/Mac/Tube/Vinyl etc. - you know who you are
wink.gif
, and the silly thread names (obviously a personal bugbear for me) we'd be halfway there.

anyway, IBTL eh
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #4 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, at the end of the day I find it best to just ignore the threads you have no interest in or consider pointless. I don 't see how it really is hurting the site.

It's hurting the site by dragging down the whole level of discourse, and diluting the quality of information available here. This community has a major impact on the hobby to which it is dedicated. Part of that is due to the fact that high-end headphone listening still is a niche market. But part of it also is due to the fact that this community has, over the years, built a high level of credibility through its dedicated and passionate members. The senseless and inane posts chip away at this credibility much faster than it can be rebuilt. Combine that phenomenon with the pervasive and despicable shilling and you have a recipe for disaster.

Apr 6, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #5 of 118
Nothing will change.

Apr 6, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #6 of 118
Maybe the Certifiably Inane forum wasn't such a bad idea after all, though it was before my time. I do know that when it disappeared, folks had mixed opinions, but I bumped into these posts by moderators at the time, suggesting that the members' lounge wouldn't be overrun by nonsense:

Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think in the very near future there will be a post about what is acceptable for the Members Lounge. Useless and vapid posts will be removed. I really believe that if people did a little self moderating there would be very few issues here. Just a little thought before you submit is all that is required. If your idea of fun is to see how far you can push the envelope before you are stopped; all I can say is, be prepared for the consequences. There was never a real problem in the Members lounge until a few members took it upon themselves to spoil what was a fun place for everyone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with Rick and John that whilst some people here will think that it'll be a great idea to start spamming normal threads, this highly likely will not be tolerated, and all 'dodgy' posts will be moved away.

Doesn't mean that the place will become boring, just means that we've all gotta grow up a smidge
smily_headphones1.gif

I think we all enjoy a bit of light-hearted banter, but the post-count spamming and folks posting just for the sake of posting does decrease the genuine value of this site. What ever happened to the idea of self-moderating?

Apr 6, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #7 of 118
News Flash: This is called the "general discussion" forum and by that subject title I think it means pretty much anything goes so who are you to tell people what is crap posting and what isn't? That comes across as elitist IMO. And to suggest people post in here just to get their post count up is ridiculous and a silly conspiracy theory.

Apr 6, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #8 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's hurting the site by dragging down the whole level of discourse, and diluting the quality of information available here.

This specific forum is a general discussion forum and not an information forum. Some of you need to lighten up.
darthsmile.gif

Apr 6, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #9 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
News Flash: This is called the "general discussion" forum and by that subject title I think it means pretty much anything goes so who are you to tell people what is crap posting and what isn't? That comes across as elitist IMO. And to suggest people post in here just to get their post count up is ridiculous and a silly conspiracy theory.

You
Just
Don't
Get
It

edit - and way to invalidate your own point by posting twice instead of using multi-qoute ******.

Apr 6, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #10 of 118
Okay, the last time you brought this up, I publicly apologized for starting the "Let's make a story" thread, and I will again. It was late, and I was tired when I posted it. In retrospect, it wasn't the brightest idea, and I can see now that this wasn't the place for it. If you haven't noticed, I've stopped updating the front page, in the hope that it will just die away.

I don't know what else I can do. I'm sorry for doing it, but I don't see what good bringing it up here again will serve.

Apr 6, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #12 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TopPop, I think it was just an example, nothing personal.

Well, I hope so.

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #13 of 118
Quote:

News Flash: This is called the "general discussion" forum and by that subject title I think it means pretty much anything goes so who are you to tell people what is crap posting and what isn't? That comes across as elitist IMO.

duggeh's post might be directed at this forum, but the problem extends beyond it and into the headphone-specific boards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg
And to suggest people post in here just to get their post count up is ridiculous and a silly conspiracy theory.

It's not a suggestion; it's a fact. You cannot reasonably believe that people are not padding their post counts. It's ridiculous, but it is absolutely the case, which is why I think post counts should be eliminated.

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #14 of 118
I think it makes a lot of sense, actually.

Let people have their meaningless blather threads, but stick them in an appropriate meaningless blather subforum.

Sure i review a movie from time to time, but golly, some of these threads are amazingly worthless.

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #15 of 118
Quote:

snip...

And to suggest people post in here just to get their post count up is ridiculous and a silly conspiracy theory.

Post padding is a fact. There are people who have admitted as much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
snip...

It's not a suggestion; it's a fact. You cannot reasonably believe that people are not padding their post counts. It's ridiculous, but it is absolutely the case, which is why I think post counts should be eliminated.

I have posted this before and I will post it again I'm sure. I would rather see a reputation indicator rather than a post count indicator. Reputation goes to quality while post count goes to volume, and there certainly is no link between the two.

Too many people here still seem caught up in the Supremus fantasy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back