The Flaming Lips: Enbryonic
Oct 14, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #31 of 56
I can understand how long time flips fans wouldn't like soft bulletin or yoshimi. That marked a HUGE change in sound for the lips (not counting zaireeka, which is what it is). The departure of Ronald Jones from the band made a more drastic impact in the sound of the band than anything prior, combined with some personal things that were going on (well documented in the various documentaries and interviews). The result was great music, but a lot farther from the punk rock ethos they started with.

Oct 14, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #32 of 56
I really like it. Good for them getting an album like this out on a major label, esp. in this day and age.

Edit: About a month ago I had dinner at a great steak house just off Flaming Lips AVE, RD, BLVD (I can't remember) in OKC.

Oct 14, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #33 of 56
Somebody at warner likes them a lot. Zaireeka proved to the label that as long as the expectations are managed, the flaming lips can be successful doing anything they want, at least to the point of profitability. They have enough hard core fans that if they get a wild hair, they can do it.

In return, they make "hit" records every so often as well.

Oct 14, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #35 of 56
No, and none of my information is current
smily_headphones1.gif

I just used to go to a lot of concerts, and my wife was a flaming lips fan going back a LONG time. We got back stage a few times, and had some very interesting conversations.

A lot of this information has also been published in any number of interviews with Wayne, both print and video. He's open about his process, and his appreciation for warner brothers.

Oct 14, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #36 of 56
OK cool, well I appreciate the insight. I don't obsess about the behind the scenes stuff like I used to when I was younger, so its always interesting to hear stuff "behind the music."

Oct 14, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #37 of 56
I used to have "behind the scenes" access to a number of bands, and mostly prefer not. But Wayne's a really nice guy, and tells some great stories. And loves to talk, so you don't have to be anyone in particular to get to hear them...

Oct 15, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #38 of 56
I am really enjoying the challenging nature of this music. It reminds me of when I first began tackling some of Miles Davis' 70s fusion epics. It wasn't always easy, but I kept going back and it was some of the most rewarding music I have ever listened to.

I also think the SQ is fitting, and does not distract from listening.

Oct 15, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #39 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am really enjoying the challenging nature of this music. It reminds me of when I first began tackling some of Miles Davis' 70s fusion epics. It wasn't always easy, but I kept going back and it was some of the most rewarding music I have ever listened to.

I also think the SQ is fitting, and does not distract from listening.

That's what I was trying to make the connection to as in "this sounds derivative of something I've heard before"

Specifically they must have been listening to Mile's Live Evil.

And SQ to me hasn't ever been the point with the Lips music at least in the audiophile sense but especially since the soft bulletin.

I am liking this album quite a bit and it's a grower

Oct 15, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #40 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Specifically they must have been listening to Mile's Live Evil.

You know, I thought you guys were joking, but a couple of tracks would fit right at home on that album, especially the Sparrow Looks up at the Machine. Man, I had a double take when I heard that song.

I love the album so far. There seems to be a strong krautrock influence as well. The longer songs are sooooo good like Powerless and The Ego's Last Stand. Evil also really sticks out to me. I love the switch and return; quintessential Lips. At the moment, I'm of the mind that this be their best album since Bulletin, and definitely my favorite since Clouds. Time will tell, but yeah I like it a lot.

My stance on the specific sound softened, but I might be swinging the other way again. I think it sounds bad. Last night, I played In a Priest Driven Ambulance for the first time in a long time. That album has the same TFL noise rock feel with plenty of angular guitar distortion, yet the whole mix doesn't sound like it has been scraped across glass. Yeah, that was different era and a different Lips, but I see no reason the boys couldn't turn down the knob just a little and maintain the same claustrophobic feel. I wish they would at least. Their last few albums have been nasty. That's my chief complaint. The rest is fantastic.

Oct 16, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #41 of 56
20091016-pt4e3h3s2r6nrhmbx6bdnsnmr6.jpg

There's a side by side comparison of the 24/96 and 16/44 versions of the first track from Embryonic. It's not brickwalled, but it's definitely loud, and the waveforms are effectively identical between the dvd and cd versions.

Oct 30, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #42 of 56
Just got Embryonic yesterday and three things I would like to say:

1) IT'S VERY LOUD!!! The drums and bass, just wow, so visceral.
2) I'm liking this much more than At War With The Mystics and it's also a very strong contender for my favourite album of 2009
3) On track 2 (The Sparrow Looks Up At The Machine) I'm hearing what sounds like a mobile phone signal interfering with a speaker, that beeping/buzzing sound, at 2:40. Its definitely the disc - I've ripped it twice and have exactly the same thing each time. Has anyone else heard this?

Oct 30, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #45 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3) On track 2 (The Sparrow Looks Up At The Machine) I'm hearing what sounds like a mobile phone signal interfering with a speaker, that beeping/buzzing sound, at 2:40. Its definitely the disc - I've ripped it twice and have exactly the same thing each time. Has anyone else heard this?

Yeah, its on the left channel..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back