The Fiio X5 Thread
Aug 18, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #18,196 of 19,652
When I use my X5, I play almost all the usual suspects I have lying around directly out of it.  However, I prefer using the E18 KUNLUN with it to drive my AKG Q701 with the EQ flat on the X5 and the bass boost switch enabled on the amp.  I sometimes used the bass boost when I used it as a DAC out of a work PC with the AKG as well, but for the most part I leave that turned off.  It just happened to work really well in the X5 -> E18 -> Q701 chain.  I know people have done hacks for the bass port on those headphones, but since I use others for darker tones, I like using the Q701 for general listening in a fairly quiet environment (rare) or for setting up reverb effects in a processing chain.

Aug 18, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #18,199 of 19,652
Yeah, that one got me too. I think we're missing one or two words in that sentence, but I don't know which ones.

I feel maybe he's trying to say he thinks the X5 sounds best with the FiiO E12 as an amp...?

Aug 24, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #18,203 of 19,652
  "No music found"on OTG
Was hoping someone could help me with this problem with the X5.

Bought it a few months ago. Using 2x PNY 128gb microSD no problem and 3x 256gb PNY flashdrives, again no problem.

Now none of the flash drives work. The problem started all of a sudden. When I select OTG, it says, "No music found."

I've tried two different cables. Charging capability works.

I tried reset with pin and also reverting to factory install and then updating firmware. Attempts were with 2.2 and 2.5 and after factory reset.

I tried it with the micso SD card (whichworks fine alone in the player) and the Fiio card reader. Same message. The card reader works fine with my computer.
When I pull the cable out, the unit displays the message, "external usb storage removed" which I take to be a promising sign.

Player still works fine with micro SD cards placed in internal slots.

Computer does not see X5. The four lights come on the X5 to charge but the Windows DAC driver cannot be installed because the computer does not know the X5 is connected.

Thanks for reading this and whoever can help me gets a huge thank you.

Just another part of the firmware that they can't be bothered to finish, now that they have a shiny new toy to distract them. I doubt I'll buy another DAP from FiiO. I doubt also that I'll ever recommend that anyone else do so.

Aug 24, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #18,204 of 19,652
That's interesting, I had that issue with OTG no longer working, and I just thought it was my reader, maybe I was wrong!

Aug 24, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #18,205 of 19,652
  Just another part of the firmware that they can't be bothered to finish, now that they have a shiny new toy to distract them. I doubt I'll buy another DAP from FiiO. I doubt also that I'll ever recommend that anyone else do so.

No, it's not a firmware issue - what MisterPC describes is exactly what happened to my X5 - computer couldn't recognise X5, X5 couldn't read from OTG. When OTG inserted, no message, when OTG removed "external usb storage removed". I sent it off to Fiio for repair and they said they couldn't fix it ("CPU is faulty"). They were good enough to post me a free-of-charge replacement though.

Aug 24, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #18,209 of 19,652
  It's a firmware issue when OTG can't see 4 out of 5 major memory manufacturers' products.

not necessarly firmware. It is dependent on the third party on what formats and so they comply.

There is not a set ideal for OTG function, and so, everyone implements it how they want, which is why some devices never work right. 

I had similar stuff happening to me with most smartphones, it is to be expected an normal

On X5, I had kingston metal usb stickd work, of different capacities. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back