The Fiio X5 Thread
Nov 5, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #13,426 of 19,652
It's because you'll be listening slightly louder when using the high gain (even without meaning to).  Only way to check would be to properly measure SPL on both high and low, and adjusting volume to match exactly before A/Bing.

My rule of thumb is to only use high gain if it's actually required (ie volume is insufficient without it).

The danger with increasing gain is that you're also increasing the noise floor / distortion.

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #13,427 of 19,652
It's because you'll be listening slightly louder when using the high gain (even without meaning to).  Only way to check would be to properly measure SPL on both high and low, and adjusting volume to match exactly before A/Bing.

My rule of thumb is to only use high gain if it's actually required (ie volume is insufficient without it).

The danger with increasing gain is that you're also increasing the noise floor / distortion.

The increase in distortion would be so slight that it would be academic.
Bandwidth will be reduced at higher gains, but it may not be enough to be audible.

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #13,428 of 19,652
The increase in distortion would be so slight that it would be academic.
Bandwidth will be reduced at higher gains, but it may not be enough to be audible.

In most cases yes - but depending on the gear being used, if it had highish THD aready, increasing the gain may be enough to push it into the audible spectrum.

Either way though - only using high gain when necessary for more volume makes sense.

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #13,429 of 19,652

Either way though - only using high gain when necessary for more volume makes sense.

General Head Fi rule of thumb there. :wink:

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #13,430 of 19,652
In most cases yes - but depending on the gear being used, if it had highish THD aready, increasing the gain may be enough to push it into the audible spectrum.

Low gain is 0 dB.
High gain is 6 dB.
We are not talking about huge differences in gain and this is not a vacuum tube SET amp!
:D

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #13,431 of 19,652
Low gain is 0 dB.
High gain is 6 dB.
We are not talking about huge differences in gain and this is not a vacuum tube SET amp!
biggrin.gif

+6dB on a logarithmic scale though.  That's double the volume (or at least 2 x SPL) - right?

Anyway - enough OT.  The question was " is there any impact to sound quality between high gain and low gain settings on the X5?"

And the answer (IMO at least) is no "upgrade" to SQ, just an increase in volume.

Nov 5, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #13,432 of 19,652
+6dB on a logarithmic scale though.  That's double the volume (or at least 2 x SPL) - right?

Anyway - enough OT.  The question was " is there any impact to sound quality between high gain and low gain settings on the X5?"

And the answer (IMO at least) is no "upgrade" to SQ, just an increase in volume.

+6 dB is twice as much voltage.

Nov 5, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #13,433 of 19,652
From a layman's perspective, I find high gain harsh and noisy using iems.  Like turning up the sliders on an eq, it gets louder and frequencies sometimes jump out at you more, but I think it's a false sound.  I keep eq flat and I keep everything on low gain.  

Nov 6, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #13,438 of 19,652
From a layman's perspective, I find high gain harsh and noisy using iems.  Like turning up the sliders on an eq, it gets louder and frequencies sometimes jump out at you more, but I think it's a false sound.  I keep eq flat and I keep everything on low gain.  

I'm with you, olddude. Even though it should be just an lift in volume (voltage) I find it makes the sound harder in overall presentation.

Try volume matching with an SPL meter when you compare low with high gain.
The difference in sound will probably disappear.

Nov 6, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #13,439 of 19,652
Nov 6, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #13,440 of 19,652

Users who are viewing this thread

Back