Oct 17, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #13,067 of 19,652
I has something stuck to my X5...
rolleyes.gif

Y'all a bad influence on my nonexistent wallet...lol

Oct 17, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #13,068 of 19,652
  I has something stuck to my X5...
rolleyes.gif

Y'all a bad influence on my nonexistent wallet...lol

wallet??? what wallet??? I don't see no wallet in the picture. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #13,069 of 19,652
I just dont think I could convince myself to get an E12A to attach to the X5. I like the sound of the X5 enough the extra bulk only makes sense to me if the X5 doesn't have the power for the task. I'm liking the Kogan enough for smaller tasks, too.

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #13,070 of 19,652
The E12DIY adds so much wonder and life to the X5 you'll wonder what you were thinking using the X5 alone.
And kino lau you have the amp on backwards.  :wink:

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #13,071 of 19,652
kino lau you have the amp on backwards.  :wink:

Oh Crap! Thanks for telling me before I went out in public like that...
blink.gif

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #13,072 of 19,652
Wait, maybe I have mine on backwards?
On second thought no. Your way has the interconnect cable obscuring the all important power button. I hit that button a lot to see who I am listening to.

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #13,073 of 19,652
That very well may be true, my question is will the sound quality outweigh the obnoxiousness of the additional bulk. An answer i can't get without listening to it, and im not sure that'll ever happen. Im considering a cayin c5 as it is.

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #13,074 of 19,652
That very well may be true, my question is will the sound quality outweigh the obnoxiousness of the additional bulk. An answer i can't get without listening to it, and im not sure that'll ever happen. Im considering a cayin c5 as it is.

Cayin c5 will add bulk. Anything but the stock DAP alone is going to be more bulk. I picked up the E12A because I perceived what I thought to be some muddiness at volumes up around the 80 range with the X5 alone on Low Gain. Right now I'm trying to A/B the X5 and X5+E12A which isn't that easy because there is no volume reference once the amplification goes off board. Initial thoughts out of the gate in simplest terms...the E12A is richer, cleaner and punchier at higher volume on Low Gain (volume roughly 50% max output or 12 o'clock) than the X5 alone. I need to settle into it all because my entire set-up is completely new for me. If it turns out that I'm not satisfied with the amp...the online store has a return policy...easy as that.
I have no intention of walking around carrying the DAP and Amp banded together. It IS to much bulk. But if I'm sitting relaxing or lying in bed...I'm using everything I have available. = )

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #13,075 of 19,652
Ok, allow me to expand on my answer, because you seem to be under the assumption that I'm an idiot.  I already own a Fiio E12, which I only use for larger gear that can take advantage of more power than the X5 provides, like my HD700 or HE400 for example.  This is where my comment about the C5 is important, due to it seeming to be a nice upgrade to the E12, but I have yet to hear it in order to decide if it's something I want.

Now, when I use IEMs, I don't particularly have any desire to add more bulk seeing that I'm typically on a long walk, and I'd prefer to have less on me when I do.  This is where my Kogan and Clip+&E6 get used the most.  Now, I could see the point of the E12A for adding power to something like my Kogan, but so far I feel it's doing fine on it's own, and I still have my E11 that could help...  now that I think about it it's never seen use.

I am in no way under the assumption that the C5 will magically merge into my X5 when it's strapped on.

Now, I'm not upset or anything, I just felt I should rectify your assumption that was based on an inadequate amount of information.

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #13,076 of 19,652
I apologize if anything said was misconstrued as my trying to be offensive. I'm a newb in here and have no desire to appear disrespectful towards anybody. Personally...I will not have the luxury of having more that one set of head phones, DAP or an amp. I was happy to be able to sell my old SCL5's to pay for the E12A and selling 3 collectable slingshots bought me my X5. So far everything I've purchased still doesn't compare to the bass output on my 3000W HT Sub...which is still somehow disappointing. This is not a cheap game to get into and I'm already in over my head. I was more defending my own decision making process than questioning anybody else's.

Oct 18, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #13,077 of 19,652
I understand perfectly not wanting to turn the X5 into a brick. I was strongly opposed to this myself. But it is now a brick that is most enjoyable. I also have an X3 for walking around with. Together they take care of my needs. I am toying with getting an X1 just cause. I hope the X7 is many years off.
(I was mostly just teasing you anyway. But the brick is really nice to listen to!)

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #13,078 of 19,652
I prefer the two smaller bricks approach using a longer interconnect. It means that the weight can be distributed more evenly and you don't look like a suicide bomber when you take the X5 out of your pocket...

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #13,079 of 19,652
I understand perfectly not wanting to turn the X5 into a brick. I was strongly opposed to this myself. But it is now a brick that is most enjoyable. I also have an X3 for walking around with. Together they take care of my needs. I am toying with getting an X1 just cause. I hope the X7 is many years off.
(I was mostly just teasing you anyway. But the brick is really nice to listen to!)

Ditto.  I bought my X5 because I really needed a player with high resolution ability, but that was after I bought an E18 to use with my Android devices.  What's interesting is I finally tried the E18 as a power amp from the X5, and wanted to see if it would have an effect on using my AKG Q701.  And boy, did it.  It was one of those "oh, duh..." moments and it was very vivid, and very immediate.  My Native Instrument KA6 Audio Interface I use at home doesn't really seem to match that well to that headset, but it's great for checking my EQ shelving above 20kHz, and tuning reverb among other things in my production work.  But when I happened to pair those, it was a revelation.

I don't really think about it so much right now as the Q701 isn't exactly something I'd walk around with, but I do take them to work along with the player and E18.  They're portable, and I got the stacking kit, but it isn't something I'd walk around with.  When cycling, I use my phone (just went from a Note 3 to a Note 4) along with very low impedance headphones and Bluetooth connections in other mobile scenarios.  But for sitting or working with a master, I tend to be at my DAW or with the X5, and save the E18 for driving a couple different sets of headphones I have.

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #13,080 of 19,652
you might want to go to earphonesolutions.com to see the comparisons.   Then try to get hold any you can really listen to.  IEMs very so widely. My favorites are 215's for knockin around and Westone 4's for something more.

good listening and good luck,

jhv

Users who are viewing this thread

Back