The Fiio X5 Thread
Aug 29, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #12,137 of 19,652
Mine froze once. That's it, just once since it was released (far better than the X3 when I owned it). I really feel bad for those that have freezing/shut down issues because I know how maddening it can be. When mine froze it was from a file I converted to FLAC from REDBOOK CD and something must have been corrupted in the process. I re-ripped the album in ALAC and have had no issues since. Not saying one format is better than the other, just that's what worked for me.

With so many user card choices, formatting and file options I'm surprised there aren't more issues still in this thread.

Aug 29, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #12,138 of 19,652
Yeah, it's no deal breaker for me, just annoying when your rocking out. I'm not sure what causes the skipping or freezing, all of my music on the X5 are hi-res downloads from HDTracks (or acoustic sounds), so I'm not sure if the file sizes may have something to do with it?

Aug 29, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #12,141 of 19,652
  looks great. BTW your stacking kit is on upside down.

LOL.

How embarrassing. I'll leave the photos up so you guys can have a giggle 
biggrin.gif

Aug 29, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #12,144 of 19,652
Hi folks, I really hope I'm not crossing the line with this question in this topic, but I started in the recommendations section and someone suggested I should try here. If I'm stepping on your toes please say so and I'll disappear to another topic or another forum.

Here is my original post:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/732401/ipod-classic-replacement-for-beyerdynamic-1350s

My current setup is iPod Classic + FiiO E12 Mont Blanc + BeyerDynamic DT-1350s. My iPod died a week ago due to bad weather. I really like the UI of the iPod and I have a well maintained iTunes music library. It seems logical to order the 7th gen 160GB iPod and get it over with.

However, here is my question to you:
Would an X5 be beneficial to my music listening experience in any way? Please note that for 75% of the time I use my rig while traveling on a commuter train and for 25% it's at home in a quiet room. Half of my music library has lossless audio files, 30% has high bitrate MP3's (320 and 256) and then I have some junk collected of 128. Library size currently is 88 GB.

Thanks!

Aug 29, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #12,145 of 19,652
I think you would benefit from the sound quality improvements for your lossless files. For the low bitrate mp3s I would probably just stick with the iPod. Have you tried downloading any hi-res music yet?

Aug 29, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #12,146 of 19,652
I went from an iPod Classic + E12 to an X5 + E12.  I found the difference significant on mp3s at 192k.  I went to the trouble to re-rip all of my albums to ALAC (Apple's lossless codec) and I would call the difference dramatic.  I'm not an audiophile, so I don't know the correct terminology.  However, the X5 + E12 has a more open sound with a better-defined sound field.  Bass is clearly defined and not at all muddy.  Generally, I can listen to my music at lower volumes because it is so much more "present," if that makes any sense.  I haven't touched my iPod Classic since getting the X5.

Aug 29, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #12,147 of 19,652
  I went from an iPod Classic + E12 to an X5 + E12.  I found the difference significant on mp3s at 192k.  I went to the trouble to re-rip all of my albums to ALAC (Apple's lossless codec) and I would call the difference dramatic.  I'm not an audiophile, so I don't know the correct terminology.  However, the X5 + E12 has a more open sound with a better-defined sound field.  Bass is clearly defined and not at all muddy.  Generally, I can listen to my music at lower volumes because it is so much more "present," if that makes any sense.  I haven't touched my iPod Classic since getting the X5.

I bought an X5 at ptravel's recommendation for my situation.  It's  easy to use and I also found much more clairity in SQ.  My Classic 160GB just sits on my desk.
Worth taking a chance on it!

Aug 29, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #12,150 of 19,652
  Wow, thanks for  your immediate replies. At double the price compared to an iPod Classic, the difference in SQ should be significant. I think I may order one and see how I like it. Thank you for your input.

At a lower price the Fiio X3 might take care of you as well. It sounds better than an iPod and it costs less. You can only add up to 1 128 GB memory card where you can do 2 on the X5. I own both and the sound difference between the X3 and X5 is not great. (But the storage capacity is) and the X3 is small and easy to carry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back