The Fiio X5 Thread
Jul 18, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #11,071 of 19,652
I wrote to fiio about usb hard drive support for x5, specifically my md passport. I dont understand what they tell me. I am trying to find out which external hard drives actually work for the x5. Is skymedi a hard drive brand? I can't find any info on it.

Thank you for your mail and support to FiiO!

Sorry to inform you that, you can't use an MD passport drive with X5.

Owing to some limitations of the controller board, the X5 currently only supports USB storage utilizing USB controllers from specific brands, specifically: Skymedi, ITE, Innostor, SiliconGo, Phison, and CBM.
If you are not sure of what brand of USB controller your USB driver utilizes, we could send you a PC utility for checking,or please directly download it(Identification tool for the main control chip of the U Flash Disk) from the "Download" section under the "Support" column on FiiO website.

If you have any other question, please feel free to contact us!
Have a nice day! ^_^

Jul 18, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #11,072 of 19,652
I'm curious if anyone ever tried to LO the x5 to an E06?
tongue.gif

Jul 18, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #11,073 of 19,652
I have already posted about my X5 using LO to my Little Dot running Mullards and how much I rate this as a premium piece of kit. But, as with many of us I am always looking for more! So I have recently chased the moths from my wallet and have been spending to increase my happiness......so, for my desktop kit I have added AKG 702's that really let the X5 sing; the tubes add a real sense of timbre  that is brought in check by the slightly sterile sound of the phones; Little Feat,The Band mid seventies Dylan in particular sound so right with this set up.

And for my out and about kit, I have tracked down a Little Dot Mk 1+, that just purrs when partnered with my Sennheiser HD600's and makes the Stones, Robert Palmer and The Faces come alive in a riot of loose and funky sounds.

For those occasions when I return to my late teens at the end of the seventies, I strap on my Neco Soundlab with my Grado's and I can re-live the sheer enjoyment of Pub Rock and early Punk with all of it's sonic failings, but huge excitement and sheer fun.

This is a fantastic piece of kit, that just keeps getting better!

Jul 18, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #11,076 of 19,652
The manufacturers listed just make the controller chips in a drive or card reader etc. Not the drive itself. So you won't be able to use them to find a drive that works. Check the forum for posts from Duncan - they helped me - but prepare to get frustrated if you were expecting to use a big external HD

Jul 18, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #11,077 of 19,652
Never mind, and thanks for trying.  Let's keep James and Joe on the case.  :)

I just can't stop messing with my devices :p

I wrote to fiio about usb hard drive support for x5, specifically my md passport. I dont understand what they tell me. I am trying to find out which external hard drives actually work for the x5. Is skymedi a hard drive brand? I can't find any info on it.

Thank you for your mail and support to FiiO!

Sorry to inform you that, you can't use an MD passport drive with X5.

Owing to some limitations of the controller board, the X5 currently only supports USB storage utilizing USB controllers from specific brands, specifically: Skymedi, ITE, Innostor, SiliconGo, Phison, and CBM.
If you are not sure of what brand of USB controller your USB driver utilizes, we could send you a PC utility for checking,or please directly download it(Identification tool for the main control chip of the U Flash Disk) from the "Download" section under the "Support" column on FiiO website.

If you have any other question, please feel free to contact us!
Have a nice day! ^_^

There's a chip inside every USB device, that tells the receiving device what it is that's connecting (i am a usb flashdrive, created by BRAND, i have 16GB of space, i am write protected) this chip also passes through the data from the flash or harddrive to the receiving device, in this case, the X5. The language in which this happens, requires the receiving device to have a "dictionary" to communicate with this chip.

Jul 18, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #11,078 of 19,652
using it with the pure 2 and the ditas and it is phenomenal :p

Glad your rig is phenomenal (so is mine :blush:) but are you experiencing the same as
Hedphonz and I do regarding volume adjustment?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-jan-17th-2014/11055

Very interested in your comment since we use the same iems

Jul 18, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #11,079 of 19,652
Glad your rig is phenomenal (so is mine :blush:) but are you experiencing the same as
Hedphonz and I do regarding volume adjustment?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-jan-17th-2014/11055

Very interested in your comment since we use the same iems

not so sure about the stepdance, but your duo might be the old version which has a high gain preset, making it not so good for iems. Im using the pure 2 which has multiple gain settings so that works well. The low gain is -1db

Jul 18, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #11,080 of 19,652
not so sure about the stepdance, but your duo might be the old version which has a high gain preset, making it not so good for iems. Im using the pure 2 which has multiple gain settings so that works well. The low gain is -1db

Thanks WCDchee. Just recently bought the duo directly from Vorzuge so I should have the new version. Any way I can tell?

I am very happy with the sound and EQ, but volume knob really needs to be turned very gently......

Jul 18, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #11,081 of 19,652
using the LO of the X5 with the stepdance amp i am finding that the volume on the amp is already at normal listening levels once you click it on - turning it a fraction becomes too loud -

Gain is set to L

are you guys finding similar with other amps ? the SQ is great but would prefer the amp to be at mid volume for normal loudness

edit-i dont normally use the eq but if i set it to custom without any actual changes it drops the volume by a few db which helps slightly

I don't think you're experiencing anything unusual. The X5's LO is pretty powerful, and I find myself with little play on my E12 DIY's (L Gain) volume knob with sensitive, low impedance HP/IEM. I can usually get about a quarter turn before I think my eardrums will implode :eek:

Jul 18, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #11,082 of 19,652
I don't think you're experiencing anything unusual. The X5's LO is pretty powerful, and I find myself with little play on my E12 DIY's (L Gain) volume knob with sensitive, low impedance HP/IEM. I can usually get about a quarter turn before I think my eardrums will implode :eek:

Same. I have the dot pointing towards the gain switch with my IEMs . With my full size just a notch further. Almost never turn it further than 90°.

Jul 18, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #11,083 of 19,652
Uh Oh, I think I just decided to get the JH13s for my X5. Yes, there'll be so much space in my wallet that there sure will be an echo in it, heh heh. Do you guys think the SQ of the X5 would warrant the J13s?
Jeez, after all that talk about curing my upgrade-atits!

Jul 18, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #11,084 of 19,652
Same here, using X5 + Vorzuge Duo + Ditta

Curious whether @Duncan has the same experience with his rig (X5+Duo+UE I believe)
Duo + IE800...

Depending on the age of the track (older tracks recorded less hotly than modern ones) I can turn the Duo up to 12 o'clock quite happily, and that is with the IE800s at 126db/mw or whatever insane figure they have...

I do like my music loud though :D (generally speaking I have the volume dial at about 0830-0900 on the clock)

(that being said, right this very second, listening to Colorfly C3 and Brainwavz S5 at a very modest [by my standards] volume of 22/40 and enjoying it - so, all relative I suppose)

[Edit, shouldn't try to type in the dark without a backlit keyboard!]

Jul 18, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #11,085 of 19,652
  Uh Oh, I think I just decided to get the JH13s for my X5. Yes, there'll be so much space in my wallet that there sure will be an echo in it, heh heh. Do you guys think the SQ of the X5 would warrant the J13s?
Jeez, after all that talk about curing my upgrade-atits!

Curing upgradeitits? Seems like you're neck deep in it! 

Really though, congrats. I'm sure that will be a sweet listening experience. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back