The Fiio X5 Thread
Jun 6, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #10,201 of 19,652
Jobbing,

This is not from a dealer, but - someone on the forums :wink:

I was going for a weekend long trial, but - after being up until the wee small hours listening away, and falling in love with the extra clarity / depth / soundstage that the Duo provides over the E12, it is the most probable purchase that I will have made in a VERY long time...

Love it (even with the less than perfect way the bands line up on the HS6 now, but - hey, sonics come before vanity!)

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #10,202 of 19,652
I personally think the X5 excels as a portable because the implementation of the circuits.  It's propabably has a good amp section as the chip that was used is not something that we hear about often. 

I'm sure for those with cans would benefit from an external amp. but for those with iems, the amp in the X5 does it job.  I'm wondering if Vorz cleans up the sound even more.

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #10,203 of 19,652
Jobbing,

This is not from a dealer, but - someone on the forums :wink:

I was going for a weekend long trial, but - after being up until the wee small hours listening away, and falling in love with the extra clarity / depth / soundstage that the Duo provides over the E12, it is the most probable purchase that I will have made in a VERY long time...

Love it (even with the less than perfect way the bands line up on the HS6 now, but - hey, sonics come before vanity!)

Thanks, now my index finger is on the ADD TO CART button :angry:
Haven't figured out yet what is new on the revised Duo. Maybe I'll just going to list a WTB first.

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #10,204 of 19,652
  Guys, I got my TOTL CIEM, NT6 today, and I have more precise impression.  X5 is very realistic sounding and clear.  DX90 sounds artificial with my NT6

I find different IEM's pair better with different players.  For example my W40's pair very well with my X5>LO>pico slim, and not as well with my DX90. The W40 definitely sound better through the LO with Slim than the HO of the X5, it is a noticeable upgrade.   My SE-846 with silver cable sound great with X5 with either HO or LO>Pico Slim, but they sound thin with the silver cable through DX90; the stock cable sounds better through the DX90.  
However, my favourite combination is my Dita Answer with DX90 either HO or LO>Pico Power.  The Answers do not sound as good through the X5 as they do through the DX90.  My M4U2's sound better through the DX90 as well.   

Jun 6, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #10,205 of 19,652
I'm sure for those with cans would benefit from an external amp. but for those with iems, the amp in the X5 does it job.  I'm wondering if Vorz cleans up the sound even more.
Well, wonder no more, I can assure you it does :)

...The line-out is very VERY good - and, adding a virtually TOTL amp definitely makes this set up punch even more above its weight :)

Jun 6, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #10,206 of 19,652
Well, wonder no more, I can assure you it does
smily_headphones1.gif

...The line-out is very VERY good - and, adding a virtually TOTL amp definitely makes this set up punch even more above its weight
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree, there is a big difference between the X5 HO and LO.  The LO with a good quality amp is quite a bit better.

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #10,208 of 19,652
Actually my Ditas sound very well with X5/E12 except for the noisefloor/hiss. What does the DX90 provide you what the X5 doesn't when paired with the Ditas?

I agree, the Dita's do sound great out of the X5 as well, but this is just IMO.  The DX90 when paired with the Answer version not the Truth, I think it has a little bigger soundstage, a little bit better sounding drums, as if you were hearing them live, firmer bass, and airier treble. The differences are VERY SLIGHT.  I also feel there is better instrument separation with the DX90.  For example city of Prague's John Williams Superman theme from HD tracks, the Tuba's seem to have a little more separation between notes, making them sound a little more clear.  The cymbals also have a little more clarity. Don't get me wrong, the Answers still sound REALLY good with the X5.  I am not saying they don't sound good with the X5, nor am I bashing the X5 as a player as I really like it as well.

I also used Bob Seager's Like a Rock and I found it had the similar results.  Cowboy Junkies Misguided Angel Live from HD tracks was too close to even tell a difference.  Julio Iglesias's Caruso, I prefer the DX90, as I once again find the soundstage is a little bigger and airier, the vocals also sound better to me because of the soundstage, more moving, the X5 feels slightly too warm for this song compared to the DX90.  Who knows, it wouldn't even surprise me if tip selection with the Dita's could swing it towards the X5's favour.  I am using the reference tips.

Jun 6, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #10,209 of 19,652
Thanks for the examples, I get the picture. Frankly I like the X5 better when stacked with the E12, sounds smoother and adding just that little extra bass is only a switch away. Glad though the differences are marginal, but I'm afraid the Comply tips you just ordered are going to make the Ditas less arier on the X5, but may swing you towards the X5 for other genres. Unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure of auditioning the DX90 *envy*

Jun 6, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #10,211 of 19,652
  Thanks for the examples, I get the picture. Frankly I like the X5 better when stacked with the E12, sounds smoother and adding just that little extra bass is only a switch away. Glad though the differences are marginal, but I'm afraid the Comply tips you just ordered are going to make the Ditas less arier on the X5, but may swing you towards the X5 for other genres. Unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure of auditioning the DX90 *envy*

No problem.  As I said, both are really good daps, especially for the money and I don't plan on getting rid of either any time soon at least until the X7 comes out:)  Who knows, you could try the DX90 with the Dita's and not even like it for the same reasons I do like it; you might prefer the X5 with the Dita's...  Also I do not own the E12, maybe the E12 with X5 and Dita's is a better combo then the Pico Slim.   I guess the big thing is to find something you like and enjoy it because most people have different preferences, some are bass heads, some love their treble.

I do prefer the U.I on the X5 though, as the touch screen on the DX90 is a little finicky, sometimes it selects when trying to scroll and sometimes I have to select a few times before it works.

Well enjoy you X5 and Ditas
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit.  Amazon just cancelled my Comply TX-500's since they are out of stock... So I guess I will just be trying the TX-400's and if I don't like them I will stick with the reference tips as I really like them.

Jun 6, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #10,212 of 19,652
Hmm... just installed firmware 2.0.
After listening to some DSD and flac files the X5 sometimes flips and keeps skipping tracks or making weird noises. :frowning2:

Whenever he doesn't do these crazy things, it sounds wonderfull:)

Jun 6, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #10,213 of 19,652
I think I've read all 10,000 posts on this thread, maybe, so perhaps I've just missed this.  If (when?) I order an X5 does it come with any onboard storage, or am I required to also order a microSD card of some sort?  I do not need to put my entire music collection on a player, heck I just need 4gb or so, enough for one day's listening.  Especially given that most of the posts on this thread refer to storage card issues, I would love to avoid these if possible!

Jun 6, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #10,215 of 19,652
I've read through and searched but can't find the answer to this:

Does this work with Android for USB streaming? It seems the X3 had limited support with Audio Recorder PRO, but DanBa doesn't have the X5 listed. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back