The Fiio X5 Thread
May 14, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #9,256 of 19,652
Hey, anyone got an opinion about this 128gb micro sd sold through Amazon at about half the price of the SanDisk one?

Feels too good to be true.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K0YVWJY/ref=pe_217090_118467190_em_1p_5_ti

Forget about it. It's either a fake or a scam.

May 14, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #9,257 of 19,652
I wouldn't trust it. The Sandisk one is cheap as it is considering MSRP. That's too low a price to not think something is fishy.

May 14, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #9,258 of 19,652
Thanks, what you describe is exactly what I suspected. I can hear how the LO is better than the HPO on the X5, so I'm sure I will appreciate the improved SQ, with that being said, still considering if is worth the cost and extra size.

With iems (I use Noble N4's) the benefit is pretty modest - slightly fuller sound & more realistic soundstage. Worth the cost - & more significantly, the additional bulk & weight when you're out and about? Probably not in my opinion - especially given that on the move, the subtle improvements are mostly lost.

May 14, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #9,259 of 19,652

The X3 has more fun and not boring sound??? if not which dap recommend for fun sound ??? and why somebody like the accurate and not detailed sound instead a fun??
I'm asking that because i never heard a neutral, pure, detail if you know what i mean.
i always listen from source that gave color to the sound, pure and neutral mean flat sound???

Thanks a lot

i bought the focal spirit pro and wait for the delivery

I don't know about the X3, but I think it sounds about the same, in terms of non-coloration.

The X5 (and other good DAPs) make the music sound as it was supposed to sound. That's usually not a fun sound, full of bass and treble. The mastering quality presents naked in front of you, for better or for worse.

For me, neutral means flat and boring, my brain still hasn't catch up with the formidable change in the sound. Analogy: think of it as a salty, fatty burger vs a delicate, balanced, expensive sushi. I don't know if one is best than the other, but I can recognize the difference.

Sooner or later, I'll get used to the original, unmodified sound of the X5 with no EQ, and you may too.

May 14, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #9,260 of 19,652
With iems (I use Noble N4's) the benefit is pretty modest - slightly fuller sound & more realistic soundstage. Worth the cost - & more significantly, the additional bulk & weight when you're out and about? Probably not in my opinion - especially given that on the move, the subtle improvements are mostly lost.

Thanks for the insight, I use the X5 at home (mostly) and on the go as well, definitely I don't see myself dealing with extra weight, but at home would be a nice addition.
Thanks again for your response.

May 14, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #9,261 of 19,652
dustmos & Scorpion667: Thanks for your thoughts. If the X5 and E12 are both in the case, do you have to put the X5 screen down to prevent the X5's screen from touching the E12 OR is there enough material in between to prevent scratching?

Maybe you are confusing with the X3, that change indeed happened for it.

Nope. I've got both and was curious if the earlier X5 firmware had 60 steps like the X3. If it did, it might help explain why both recently had sound signature changes.

May 14, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #9,262 of 19,652

Talked to this seller yesterday morning and he indicated that it took him a while to qualify a source for these cards but the current vendor has proven to be good.  He does a  QC check (sounds like a couple of units) from each lot he receives before filling orders.  He offered to send me the test unit he just finished evaluating.  He is currently out of stock but expects more this week and indicated there would be no problems with a refund should any units prove defective.
I have two units on order and will provide feedback once I give them a whirl!

Thanks for the insight. I'll wait for your feedback and/or feedback for the reseller on Amazon. He has only 3 product on the marketplace and no review.

May 14, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #9,263 of 19,652
  I wouldn't trust it. The Sandisk one is cheap as it is considering MSRP. That's too low a price to not think something is fishy.

I've got 2 x Sandisk 128GB & they seem fine in my X5!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #9,264 of 19,652
HarryHardcase: calm down and give it some time. The X5 is a very nice DAP, unfinished, but very worth it.

It helps that someone on this thread agrees with me, I was feeling a little alone on this.  Thank you for sharing your point of view.

I've decided to give the Fiio X5 the benefit of the doubt, and will not return it (though I can see myself swithering on this point daily until the firmware improves).  It is a very good USB DAC, and on that basis alone I'm content to keep it.  The quality of output from a DTS HD-MA-mastered Blu-Ray through this (obviously down-mixed to stereo by the PC's media player first) makes me feel as though I'm in the cinema, with so much detail and ambience.  I'm even planning on swapping my 32GB cards for 64s, which is a big deal seeing as my fallback DAP, the Nokia N8, doesn't support 64GB cards.  

So, I'm planting my feet.  Hopefully patience will pay off.

May 14, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #9,265 of 19,652
Is anyone having problems with "stuttering" audio playback from their computer?

Every 15 or so seconds there's a hiccup.

Software:
Windows 7 x64, Combined Community Codec Pack + MPC-HC.

Hardware: USB3.0 port, FiiO cable

May 14, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #9,266 of 19,652
Is anyone having problems with "stuttering" audio playback from their computer?

Every 15 or so seconds there's a hiccup.

Software:
Windows 7 x64, Combined Community Codec Pack + MPC-HC.

Hardware: USB3.0 port, FiiO cable

Not once so far, and that accounts for several hours worth of playback.  OS X 10.8, USB2.0, VLC, DVD Player.app, Blu-Rays, DVDs and MP4s.  Using the micro-USB cable that came with my Nokia N8.

May 14, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #9,267 of 19,652
  It helps that someone on this thread agrees with me, I was feeling a little alone on this.  Thank you for sharing your point of view.

I've decided to give the Fiio X5 the benefit of the doubt, and will not return it (though I can see myself swithering on this point daily until the firmware improves).  It is a very good USB DAC, and on that basis alone I'm content to keep it.  The quality of output from a DTS HD-MA-mastered Blu-Ray through this (obviously down-mixed to stereo by the PC's media player first) makes me feel as though I'm in the cinema, with so much detail and ambience.  I'm even planning on swapping my 32GB cards for 64s, which is a big deal seeing as my fallback DAP, the Nokia N8, doesn't support 64GB cards.  

So, I'm planting my feet.  Hopefully patience will pay off.

I have plenty of devices that don't support 64GB cards officially which work perfectly once the cards are formatted to FAT32. Don't write off your chances of using your cards in your N8 until you try them. Hopefully, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

May 14, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #9,268 of 19,652
  FWIW, I have been monitoring the battery on my X5, have got plus 10 hours, (mix use of flac, 24bit flac and mp3).
The first battery bar takes forever to disappear (a handful of hours), then when there is only two bar lefts, that gives me around 15 minutes of playback.
I guess Fiio should check the way the meter works.

I can confirm that. I don't know if it is a bug or if that's how it's supposed to be, but my X5 acts the exact same way you describe. The first 2 bars get forever to disappear... and the last 3 are gone in about 60-90 minutes.

May 14, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #9,269 of 19,652
I can confirm that. I don't know if it is a bug or if that's how it's supposed to be, but my X5 acts the exact same way you describe. The first 2 bars get forever to disappear... and the last 3 are gone in about 60-90 minutes.

Yeah they all do that, i'd say it's a bug.

May 14, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #9,270 of 19,652
Another update I just got from Miccastore.  They are updating their accessories page and in the next couple of days all X5 accessories will be up there: http://www.miccastore.com/portable-audio-products-cables-accessories-c-7_13.html

In a meantime, HS6 is already listed: http://www.miccastore.com/fiio-hs6-stacking-kit-for-fiio-p-119.html

$8 was a bundle price if you buy X5 and add it as part of special bundle: http://www.miccastore.com/fiio-portable-high-resolution-loseless-music-player-special-bundles-available-p-118.html (including E12 for $100).  The standalone purchase price if you already have X5 and E12 is $14.99.

I would also suggest if you purchased X5 from Miccastore before they had bundle available, maybe ping them to see if you can still get a bundle deal.  You never know.

Btw, I'm in no way associated with Miccastore or TekFX.  Just doing my head-fi community service :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back