The Fiio X5 Thread
May 12, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #9,167 of 19,652

Be careful or the Fiio brigade will jump on you for questioning their favorite brand...

I agree 100% I have never hated a product so much in my life and loved it at the same time. Very odd lol

Every time James, who I am a big fan of, explains some of his decisions it always comes down to how the Chinese ppl use their device. If their use of DAPs is so different from us then I hope there is an X7 World Edition and an X7 China Edition.

Fiio brigade... LOL!

I would like to see the selling numbers in China and in the rest of the world. In Asia they sure use their electronics differently than in the US, but Fiio should know that by now. A same version for everybody just doesn't cut it.

I might be wrong, but I think that mid and high range audio is a much more established trend outside of China.

May 12, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #9,168 of 19,652

Nevermind. There's absolutely no point in me ranting about my experience with the X5. I just have to learn from my mistakes and not repeat them.

May 12, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #9,169 of 19,652
Hmm I wonder if it could be a tagging issue which is making your X5 crash? I have yet to have mine crash on me. Then again I use mostly WAV.

May 12, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #9,170 of 19,652
I had one crash since the X5 was released. Using mostly ALAC, FLAC, and some AAC.

May 12, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #9,172 of 19,652
I think you might have misread my post.
The hiss was there WITHOUT the E12DIY.

No, I read it correctly - I just expressed myself poorly
smily_headphones1.gif

What I meant to say was that the E12DIY is definitely an upgrade over the HPO, but I don't hear any hiss from the HPO - just slightly less separation and clarity in the soundstage (compared to via line-out to E12DIY)

May 12, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #9,173 of 19,652
Fiio brigade... LOL!

I would like to see the selling numbers in China and in the rest of the world. In Asia they sure use their electronics differently than in the US, but Fiio should know that by now. A same version for everybody just doesn't cut it.

I might be wrong, but I think that mid and high range audio is a much more established trend outside of China.

On that note I think most if not all people here would have bought an X5 @ $400 if that meant it came with less limitations like we have now.

May 12, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #9,175 of 19,652
Hmm I wonder if it could be a tagging issue which is making your X5 crash? I have yet to have mine crash on me. Then again I use mostly WAV.

I had one crash since the X5 was released. Using mostly ALAC, FLAC, and some AAC.

I've had two crashes with 1.2 firmware and none since 1.22beta... I am using FLAC.

I notice quite a few people have been experiencing crashes on their X5. I've had mine since early April. Had a listen immediately after unboxing...meh. Then left it playing for 4 continuous days to burn in (didn't listen to the music playing during burn in period). During this time it was continuously connected to the charger.

On the 5th day, I don't know if it was burn in or what, but WOW! Eargasm!

Back on point, I've been using my X5 on a daily basis, averaging 2+ hours per day. Haven't experienced any crashes whatsoever.

Firmware: 1.20 ... Haven't updated as from user comments, it seems the firmware is still not solid. So no incentive to update yet. However, if FiiO enables 'play folder' (all songs in folders, including subfolders, from any point in the folder tree), I'll probably be one of the first to update.

Music files: all FLAC 16/44.1

Album art: all 500x500, embedded in each music file.

Gapless: no.

Database size: Roughly 2000 songs on 1x64GB Sandisk Ultra MicroSD card, X5 TF Slot 2 (Slot 1 reserved for firmware updating with another card).

Folder contents: just FLAC files. No images, m3u, cue, txt.

Crashes: 0

Settings: normal EQ, update media library Manual, play mode Shuffle, resume mode Last Song, power on volume Last Setting.

I've tried to include as much info as possible, above. Hopefully something here may be helpful in finding the culprit causing the crashes.

Edit (thanks to Loquah for mentioning these additional points):
Memory card usage: roughly 90% filled.
Card format: formatted FAT32 on PC using SD Formatter 4 (full format, not quick format), then formatted again in X5.

May 12, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #9,176 of 19,652
I notice quite a few people have been experiencing crashes on their X5. I've had mine since early April. Had a listen immediately after unboxing...meh. Then left it playing for 4 continuous days to burn in (didn't listen to the music playing during burn in period). During this time it was continuously connected to the charger.

On the 5th day, I don't know if it was burn in or what, but WOW! Eargasm!

Back on point, I've been using my X5 on a daily basis, averaging 2+ hours per day. Haven't experienced any crashes whatsoever.

Firmware: 1.20 ... Haven't updated as from user comments, it seems the firmware is still not solid. So no incentive to update yet. However, if FiiO enables 'play folder' (all songs in folders, including subfolders, from any point in the folder tree), I'll probably be one of the first to update.

Music files: all FLAC 16/44.1

Album art: all 500x500, embedded in each music file.

Gapless: no.

Database size: Roughly 2000 songs on 1x64GB Sandisk Ultra MicroSD card, X5 TF Slot 2 (Slot 1 reserved for firmware updating with another card).

Folder contents: just FLAC files. No images, m3u, cue, txt.

Settings: normal EQ, update media library Manual, play mode Shuffle, resume mode Last Song, power on volume Last Setting.

I've tried to include as much info as possible, above. Hopefully something here may be helpful in finding the culprit causing the crashes.

Nice info and a good idea.

I can echo all of the above with a couple of minor variations, but also no crashes to date.

FW: 2.0
Music files: FLAC, MP3, ALAC (not sure if I've actually played any on X5, but they're in the library), WMA (also in library, but not sure if played - actually not sure if X5 can play as haven't bothered to check)
Album art: all embedded, but varying sizes, all <950kb
Gapless: On
Database size: 2 x SanDisk Ultra 64Gb filled with maximum 59,000 bytes of music per card - I learned on the AK100 that a completely full card could cause issues. This issue might not apply to the X5, but thought I'd mention it
Folder contents: music files only
Settings: normal EQ, update media library Auto, play mode Shuffle, resume mode Last Position, power on volume Fixed: 30

From memory, I've formatted both of these cards in the X5 using the X5 (i.e. not via computer using X5 as card reader)

Out of interest, can those who've experienced crashes share how full / empty their memory cards have been?

May 13, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #9,177 of 19,652
No crashing at all for me on FW 2.0. I've got several different types of files loaded in that I've listened to, from DSFs to 24/192 FLACs to 16/44 FLACs to 280bps MP3s. I haven't had this device crash on me once since I unwrapped it three weeks or so ago, with 1.22 or 2.0.

May 13, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #9,178 of 19,652
Nice info and a good idea.

I can echo all of the above with a couple of minor variations, but also no crashes to date.

FW: 2.0
Music files: FLAC, MP3, ALAC (not sure if I've actually played any on X5, but they're in the library), WMA (also in library, but not sure if played - actually not sure if X5 can play as haven't bothered to check)
Album art: all embedded, but varying sizes, all <950kb
Gapless: On
Database size: 2 x SanDisk Ultra 64Gb filled with maximum 59,000 bytes of music per card - I learned on the AK100 that a completely full card could cause issues. This issue might not apply to the X5, but thought I'd mention it
Folder contents: music files only
Settings: normal EQ, update media library Auto, play mode Shuffle, resume mode Last Position, power on volume Fixed: 30

From memory, I've formatted both of these cards in the X5 using the X5 (i.e. not via computer using X5 as card reader)

Out of interest, can those who've experienced crashes share how full / empty their memory cards have been?

Updated info on my original post.

May 13, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #9,179 of 19,652
Only have 6GB of music on my 64GB card. Tried every setting imaginable. Literally alternated every setting one by one then left the X5 playing in a drawer. After 3-4 hours I would come back to a black screen/crash.

Even Fiio support can't figure it out as I did everything from formatting my card to error checking the card to flashing my X5, by the books.

After my troubleshooting steps (I should mention I'm far from an end user, I troubleshoot for a living) I strongly believe that the issue lies with my tracks, or my particular x5 sample.
For me, having to batch modify my tracks for the device to run stable is unacceptable. I want to put my songs on, shuffle and enjoy. That's it. There are devices out there that can do this which in my experience has been every other DAP I have tried from old sansa's, nokia phones, ipod 5.5g's, ipod classics, HM700 to iphone5+T720 dac/amp. None of those devices EVER crashed on me unless I was doing something stupid. 

I will try to batch modify my files somehow just out of curiosity since I have the HDD space, to see if it fixes the issue. If it does, I am selling the X5 but I will report it here in case it helps someone. If it doesn't fix it, I will have the ammunition I need to get the player replaced and if the replacement if stable, it will be a great device that I'm sure I'll enjoy using. I love the sound quality, never had ANY complaints in any other departments other than crashing and maybe the ok scroll wheel (which I can live with np). 

This will be my last post ranting about crashes because I realize a lot of you guys don't have the same issues and there's absolutely no point in me going on about it. I really do appreciate all the people here that tried to assist me with the issue, you guys makes this community worth coming back to every day =)

May 13, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #9,180 of 19,652
You have a point but the issue with incompatibility with devices is a universal issue. I had issues with my files on my iphone4, Sansa Fuze, etc. It wasn't until I fixed my tags that all the issues disappeared. Now I simply have a set standard of how all my files are tagged and I don't run into such issues anymore. Plus my library is much neater and organized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back