The Fiio X5 Thread
May 20, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #9,541 of 19,652
  I find my iphone4 to be a bit tilted towards the bass a bit personally. The most neutral DAP I've heard to date was the DX100 on 1.1.7 followed by SFLO2 via its LO.

Do you have the 4 or 4S Lee?

Where would you slot it - X5, iP4, Studio V3?  <- mine would be in that order from warmest to brightest with iP4 in the middle.  All 3 relatively neutral though.

May 21, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #9,542 of 19,652
I have the 4. I'd probably have to agree with your assessment on the three. Although I feel the iphone4 does lack in resolution/detail compared to the other two. Seperation is also lacking on it compared to the other two IMO, with the Studio having the best seperation overall. The Fiio though has a slight edge in the micro-detailing IMO. The Fiio has a cleaner signal overall to my ears even over the iphone4. Though the Studio does lose out in that area due to the hiss. The Studio is particularly hard to gauge due to the nature of its sound. It has a thinner/lighter sound to it which also lends to it's open and airy nature.

May 21, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #9,543 of 19,652
Do you have the 4 or 4S Lee?

Where would you slot it - X5, iP4, Studio V3?  <- mine would be in that order from warmest to brightest with iP4 in the middle.  All 3 relatively neutral though.

I have the 5s

DX90, X5, 5s, DX50

If I add my 5.5 Gen video

DX90, X5, 5s, video (LO), DX50

Now I have to be fair, I find the 5s to be quite flat more neutral than anything else that follows it.

I need to add IMO and without using any A/B tests. Might change if I was.

May 21, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #9,544 of 19,652
Quote:
Hi All,

I have been following this thread since the beginning, and my setup is X5+E12 and I really love it. I just found a carrying case fit it perfectly for out and about transport thought you might like it. The X5 and E12 are double taped together.

Cheers

[attach]1110981[/attach]
[attach]1110982[/attach]
[attach]1110983[/attach]
[attach]1110984[/attach]
[attach]1110985[/attach]
[attach]1110986[/attach]
[attach]1110987[/attach][/quote]

Quote:
[quote="goldendarko, post: 10563356, member: 381100"]
  Can you provide a link to this case? I can't find it online, but it looks like it would work great for the gym!
[/quote]

I bought it(McGuire Nicholas  72414 Universal Phone Holder) locally at Orchard Supply Hardware for $6.95. If you are nearby OSH hardware store it would be cheaper. I found only one online http://www.menards.com has it for $9.99.

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/tool-storage/tool-bags-belts/universal-cell-holder/p-2053525-c-9186.htm

Cheers

May 21, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #9,546 of 19,652
I bought it(McGuire Nicholas  72414 Universal Phone Holder) locally at Orchard Supply Hardware for $6.95. If you are nearby OSH hardware store it would be cheaper. I found only one online http://www.menards.com has it for $9.99.

Cheers

Wow must have been a holster for a huge phone :D

Although FiiO cable is fantastic, right angle connectors would lay flatter on top and overall be more compact, still maintain the good look.

It'd have to be custom of course.

finally gotten my HS6 and i cant wait to tide it together with my x5!!! :D

I have the HS6 but no X5 in sight. :frowning2:
The case looks sturdy with a plastic holder inside that gloves match the X5. I am just wondering how long it would last constantly opening and closing it up.

May 21, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #9,548 of 19,652
I have the 5s

DX90, X5, 5s, DX50

If I add my 5.5 Gen video

DX90, X5, 5s, video (LO), DX50

Now I have to be fair, I find the 5s to be quite flat more neutral than anything else that follows it.

I need to add IMO and without using any A/B tests. Might change if I was.

Everything depends on the preferences. I have Video, I'm waiting for dx90 and I have tested Studio V 3ANW and FiiO X5 for long periods. My impression is that neither of them outclasses the other ones. Studio is tad brighter, X5 is tad darker and Video is in between. Detaility is on the same level. Soundstage widith is more or less the same. There is a difference in presentation between Studio and X5. X5 is the most musical one.
During my tests I used the same FLAC files and I volume matched them using logSPL app by Fabien Lefebvre.

May 21, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #9,549 of 19,652
  I was really excited to receive my X5 and then massively disappointed in the product.  I returned it, got a refund and moved on to better.  Thats about all you can do really.  No point worrying or getting mad.

After months of deliberation, I hope I don't end up returning it, as you did, but I've just ordered the X5.

We're not supposed to have buyer's remorse before placing an order, but I can't remember the last time I felt so much like I am simply throwing in the towel to buy the lesser of many evils. There's just no such thing as a bug-free DAP that does what the X5 is supposed to do.  

Mike
(Dubious...)

May 21, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #9,550 of 19,652
  I have the 4. I'd probably have to agree with your assessment on the three. Although I feel the iphone4 does lack in resolution/detail compared to the other two. Seperation is also lacking on it compared to the other two IMO, with the Studio having the best seperation overall. The Fiio though has a slight edge in the micro-detailing IMO. The Fiio has a cleaner signal overall to my ears even over the iphone4. Though the Studio does lose out in that area due to the hiss. The Studio is particularly hard to gauge due to the nature of its sound. It has a thinner/lighter sound to it which also lends to it's open and airy nature.

What's interesting is that i find the X5to be a good deal warmer than the iP4 and Studio V. The iP4 carries very similar tonal balance to the ZX1.

Seriously, volume matching is everything when comparing DAPs.

May 21, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #9,551 of 19,652

I was talking about source as in player.  You're talking about music.  Of course music shouldn't be flat.  But if you have a piece of dynamic music that you love, and then play it on a source with a lot of colouration, it is intrinsically changed.  If you like that - great.  Again - personally I'd prefer my players to be as close to neutral as possible - and alter tonality myself with either EQ, different headphones, or tube choices 
wink.gif

Somehow I can't help but think the word "flat" in respect to audio engineering/listening is being slightly misinterpreted here.

"Flat" in the context of recording simply means what was put on the tape, cut into the vinyl, encoded into a digitizer, whatever, is unaltered.  No one sat on the recording console and pushed the bass, tweaked the treble, reduced the midrange during the recording process.  On the player/listening side, it means that during playback no alterations were made in the frequency response/amplification of the recording all the way to the IEMs, headphones, or speakers.

With that stated, we all know that listening to recordings w/o some sort of frequency modification is downright boring in most cases.  The instinct for most users is to tweak up the bass and treble since what we hear without such tweaks sounds unnatural and anemic.  I'm sure has to do with volumes of verbiage on psycho-acoustics and how humans perceive sound. Then again, what you hear is not what I hear, and I have to admit that I can't tell any differences in the "perceived quality/sound properties" in USB cables either.

Steve

May 21, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #9,553 of 19,652
  I was really excited to receive my X5 and then massively disappointed in the product.  I returned it, got a refund and moved on to better.  Thats about all you can do really.  No point worrying or getting mad.

I've just had my RMA accepted, so my X5 is going back too.  I was willing to wait for firmware updates, and then I started to experience pops and clicks during USB DAC usage, and when playing certain tracks from µSD in DAP mode.  I decided enough was enough.

It's actually a massive relief!  I don't think I ever bought a buggier product.

May 21, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #9,555 of 19,652
  I've just had my RMA accepted, so my X5 is going back too.  I was willing to wait for firmware updates, and then I started to experience pops and clicks during USB DAC usage, and when playing certain tracks from µSD in DAP mode.  I decided enough was enough.

It's actually a massive relief!  I don't think I ever bought a buggier product.

I'm not suggesting that you don't have a bad unit..  but when reading your post the first thing that came to me was you don't know how to set up the player options for using the X5 as a USB DAC...     its not easy to get all the settings correct for perfect playback...
I'm hoping that Fiio moves their USB Driver to ASIO and it might get easier and better sounding...  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back