The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 29, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #7,985 of 19,652

BUMP.

As a Windows Phone 8 and Surface Pro 2 user, I love this post. However it may be a bit optimistic. I really like Windows 8 "Metro" apps (Facebook, Explorer, Kindle, NYT and more) but the installed base for Windows RT only is small.

Those of us with full Windows 8 (actually 8.1 in my case) can use the X5 with Foobar or another music player and that is really wonderful. SP2 + Windows 8.1 > Foobar (with Crossfeed plugin) > X5 > Pico Power > FAD Heaven VI is wicked good.

Good luck though. I very much approve. 

Apr 29, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #7,986 of 19,652
Precisely. I really couldn't care less what the reasons are (v2.0 firmware may be in the mix), but harsh treble is the one thing I can't tolerate & never acclimatise to when it's present. It's always the deal breaker for me.

Bottom line is, the X5 has gone from something I felt disappointed enough by - largely for the above reason - to be considering selling it on quickly, to something I'm relishing re-exploring my music with.

I am happy to hear this since i also thought the treble sounded harsh to me especially compared to dx90 which altogether sounded similar but mor refined. tho i wasn't generally unhappy about the sound of x5, now i cant wait to update.
Exciting times on dap front.
Also, Vorzuge pure ii has arrived at mine, lots to compare now:))

Apr 29, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #7,987 of 19,652
Some thoughts on X5. Have had for a week. Have transferred a lot of my iTunes files (damn you, protected files). Some of my files are ALAC's. Been re - ripping favorite CD's to FLAC. H Ave almost filled the first 64GB card.

Compared to 160GB Ipod classic. Listening to both through KEF M500's and 200's, Grado sr80, and miles davis trumpets. Not using an amplifier. Slight improvement in sound quality with ALAC's on X5. Same with mp3's.

Have quibbles with X5 interface. Ipod always keeps you in the "section" (artists, albums, playlists), while X5 sends you back to the file menu. I wonder if this will get more complicated with 2 sd cards.

Album art is very inconsistent. Sometimes you get it sometimes you don't. Not sure why. Ripped 2 CD's the exact same way, only one has the art. Never had this problem with ipod.

Unlike ipod, can't do videos.

I like the weight and build of X5, sort of a "military grade".

So somewhat better sound, poorer interface, no video in a better case. Costs a bit more, especially when you consider media cost s (Best Buy lists 128gb cards at $200).

I will continue to use to see/hear if there are improvements.

Apr 29, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #7,988 of 19,652

As a Windows Phone 8 and Surface Pro 2 user, I love this post. However it may be too optimistic. I really like Windows 8 "Metro" apps (Facebook, Explorer, Kindle, NYT and more) but the installed base for Windows RT only is small.

Those of us with full Windows 8 (actually 8.1 in my case) can use the X5 with Foobar or another music player and that is really wonderful. SP2 + Windows 8.1 > Foobar (with crossed plugin) > X5 > FAD Heaven VI is wicked good.

Good luck though. I very much approve. 

+1

Perhaps a Bugzilla item?

Apr 29, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #7,989 of 19,652

i take it that this is the same v2.0 as released earlier this week?

I don't know if any line of code has been changed or not. Better just install the new one.

They look like they might belong to the X3 which has hardware treble and bass adjustment.

Yes. X5 and X3 are going to share most of the firmware in the future, therefore there will be some 'leftover' code from both sides.

I has already created issue number 111 in playback section for bass/treble feature. Please vote for it. I can not post links.

Regardless of how much you want it, the treble + bass EQ function found on the X3 simply can not be implemented on X5. That function on X3 is based on a special volume control chip that also has a hardware EQ feature. That chip is not used on X5, and therefore it is impossible to have that function on the hardware level.

Apr 29, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #7,991 of 19,652
I finally bit the bullet and ordered an X5 last night. I cancelled this morning. I'm just not happy with being a beta tester and I think Sony might get my money.

Apr 29, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #7,992 of 19,652
I finally bit the bullet and ordered an X5 last night. I cancelled this morning. I'm just not happy with being a beta tester and I think Sony might get my money.

It's on firmware 2.0.  You're hardly a beta tester.  If you'd prefer to own products that don't issue firmware updates, you'll have to move to 1997.

Apr 29, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #7,993 of 19,652
Album art is very inconsistent. Sometimes you get it sometimes you don't. Not sure why. Ripped 2 CD's the exact same way, only one has the art. Never had this problem with ipod.

Had the same problem - used Tagr to embed images into ripped files & all good. Bit annoying to have an extra stage involved, but Tagr's quick & easy to use & works well.

Apr 29, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #7,994 of 19,652

I has already created issue number 111 in playback section for bass/treble feature. Please vote for it. I can not post links.

Hello - I vote for your bug, but I also read somewhere earlier in this thread that the X5 doesn't have the hardware to allow separate treble and bass (like the X3) - which is a mystery why FiiO decided not to incude it on their flagship product . . .

Cheers,
R:Fox

Users who are viewing this thread

Back