The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 26, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #7,681 of 19,652
  Interesting, I'll have to experiment with my iPod to see what happens.  Universal is fine though, regardless.

Sounds good.  I'll get the E17 on eBay ASAP!

Well, if you've got 64GB cards with ALACs, that's probably around 2000 tracks.  If that only takes you 30s then me with my puny 32GB cards should be done even quicker.  Should be fine.

Thanks for all the responses so far.  The only thing I'm hoping someone can shed light on now is, when browsing by Album tag (not in Folder mode), does the X5 respect the CD No. ID3 tag (officially I believe it is the TPOS - Part Of A Set frame)?  If the answer to that is a firm, "yes", then I'll be a happy bunny and start trying to find the best price for a new X5!

I've heard in this thread that it doesn't respect the Disc No. tag but that it probably will in future.
Not an issue for me personally (because not all players support this tag I don't use it and instead have always ripped multi-disc albums as if they were multiple albums and into multiple folders; "Live Killers CD1" & "Live Killers CD2" for example), but I see some other users ran into problems because of it.

Apr 26, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #7,682 of 19,652
  I recently added a bug to Bugzilla about the icon rotation on the main menu and got rather negative feedback from the Fiio person who stated that "There are far more people with no problem with it, and in the big thread here there are far more people taking time out to back my posts on the subject than there are complaining."

The person replying to you was me - not a FiiO rep. Thanks

Apr 26, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #7,683 of 19,652
Hi
Just a question but I don't know if it's me or my x5, but have any you tried a side by side volume test with a x3 and a x5, cos my x3 seems a lot more powerful than my x5
Any ideas? :)
What I mean is that if I use my HD 598 with the x3 on low gain at 50% volume it sound good! but if I try them with my X5 I need to be at 80% with gain on high do get the same volume .. Does that seem normal ?

Apr 26, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #7,684 of 19,652
Is there any news on firmware 2.0? After upgraded to 1.22 beta, my X5 hang very often.... 
mad.gif

Apr 26, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #7,686 of 19,652
  I've heard in this thread that it doesn't respect the Disc No. tag but that it probably will in future.
Not an issue for me personally (because not all players support this tag I don't use it and instead have always ripped multi-disc albums as if they were multiple albums and into multiple folders; "Live Killers CD1" & "Live Killers CD2" for example), but I see some other users ran into problems because of it.

Always having used Apple stuff until recently it was a surprise when I discovered other players seldom used this tag.  On reflection it's not a big deal - I can leave the CD No. tag in place JIC Fiio offers it in an update, and in the meantime should get started on re-numbering the tracks accordingly.

You guys are very helpful, thanks for all the responses! :)

Apr 26, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #7,687 of 19,652
Is there any news on firmware 2.0? After upgraded to 1.22 beta, my X5 hang very often.... :mad:  

I remember FW 1.22 beta was very unstable. FW 1.23 beta is the one I stuck with given that it completely fixes gapless and hasn't hung/locked up on me once since it was released.

Mind you this is Beta Firmware and you shouldn't expect it to be rock solid as fixing one thing might break another and needs to have a few iterations before they can feel comfortable releasing the Official Firmware.

Apr 26, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #7,688 of 19,652
I remember FW 1.22 beta was very unstable. FW 1.23 beta is the one I stuck with given that it completely fixes gapless and hasn't hung/locked up on me once since it was released.

Mind you this is Beta Firmware and you shouldn't expect it to be rock solid as fixing one thing might break another and needs to have a few iterations before they can feel comfortable releasing the Official Firmware.

Oh, stupid enough not aware there is 1.23 beta avaliable... I will upgrade it see how it goes. Thanks!!! 

Apr 26, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #7,689 of 19,652

Oh, stupid enough not aware there is 1.23 beta avaliable... I will upgrade it see how it goes. Thanks!!! 

The latest is actually 1.27beta, I believe.

Apr 26, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #7,691 of 19,652
  Joe Bloggs, are there any chances of new beta firmware in public (1.27 or later)? Or it is unreasonble because of near v2 public release? Can you please give us more explicit timeline of v2 release? Mid or later May 2014?

I saw a post by @JamesFiiO saying that someone is testing 1.27 beta currently.

James, would it be possible to get the link to it? Or is 2.0 days away?

Jody

Apr 26, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #7,692 of 19,652
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 26, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #7,693 of 19,652
Hello, this would be my first post here i own an x5 for a week now and it was really promising still using v1.2 and only seen 2 crashes.
regarding the sound quality its phenomenal. (though i can only compare this with android phones and my onboard desktop audio)
Paired with my trusty Senn ie8 and AKG Q701 (though bought the same time with x5)
for someone who still dont own a good DAC/DAP i can give you some of my insights when i stepped in unto this new world of listening
From my AKG Q701 and Senn ei8 exp:
Soundstage: ( Still depends on the recording but i tell you a good recording will give a clear sound stage where you can point where you can hear the instrument very clearly without any doubt. even with ie8 )
Soundquality: I cannot say I'm an audiophile but for me this just set a whole new level I can say i hear much cleaner sound, more details and clarity than ever and more deeper bass than before. and this is let say an 8/10 compared to 3/10 phone and onboard audio.

Apr 26, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #7,695 of 19,652

yes, we put it in our own forum, here is the link, but you have to register and reply the thread to see the content .

http://www.fiio.pw/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=22840&extra=page%3D1

Thanks, James.

To make it a little clearer for those of use who don't read Chinese, reply to James' post in the thread in the link and, once your reply posts, you will see both a link with password.  Click on the link, enter the password and you'll be taken to a page with the file.  You can download it there.

Note that you will have to register for the Fiio forum.  If you're using Google Chrome, it does a decent enough job of translating so that you'll be able to figure out what information is called.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back