The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 8, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #6,347 of 19,652
You cannot get 5800 FLAC tracks on two 64GB cards. You might be able to on two 128GB cards but even then it depends what you're putting on there. They will probably up the limit later when bigger cards can be used.

If you're using an external HD with all 25,000 of your FLAC files on it you can just use folder browse, and you'll do this anyway rather than wait for 25,000 files to be indexed by the database.

You're only ever going to try to index more than 5800 files if you are using lossy files, in which case there is no reason to have this hardware.

There is no problem here.

For those of us with large music collections and who hate iPods and don't really want to carry another external drive around with them all the time, there REALLY is a problem.

Apr 8, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #6,349 of 19,652

You cannot get 5800 FLAC tracks on two 64GB cards. You might be able to on two 128GB cards but even then it depends what you're putting on there. They will probably up the limit later when bigger cards can be used.

If you're using an external HD with all 25,000 of your FLAC files on it you can just use folder browse, and you'll do this anyway rather than wait for 25,000 files to be indexed by the database.

You're only ever going to try to index more than 5800 files if you are using lossy files, in which case there is no reason to have this hardware.

For those of us with large music collections and who hate iPods, there REALLY is a problem.

An iPod Classic managed with Foobar2000 + foo_dop has flawless tagging, gapless playback, replaygain and will happily hold and perfectly index 25,000 lossy files. Attach it to an external amp (to bypass the weak internal amp and faulty equaliser) and you have a better solution for a large lossy collection than the X5 for the same price. If you're in lossy land there's not much to hate to be honest.

I doubt a lossy file will ever find its way onto mine when it arrives. Not what it's for.

Apr 8, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #6,350 of 19,652
Why that? I have 98% classical and use primarely 'Browse Folder'. Genre and Artist are not so useful. I tag the composer as Artist and not the performer. Album would be useful, but I rely more often on the folder name, which I always know. All my files are tagged by hand, but more important is that I use/name one folder per album, i.e 'Francois Leleux_ Der Charme der Oboe', if the performer is important, or 'John Adams_ On the Transmigratuon of Souls', if the composer is more important (for meat least).

Example:  I have around 10 versions of, say, Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, 14 version of Rite of Spring, and so on.   Some of them contain another couple of pieces.   I know all the albums by the covers, so i know which one has what - however, if I just go by the album title, I have no way of figuring out which Organ Symphony album also has a performance of Samson and Delilah.   Not to mention even the primary performance becomes hard to select - now, which of these 14 Rite of Spring folders is the one conducted by Ozawa again??

So proper tagging of the album and viewing of the album covers is pretty vital for me.   As has been mentioned, these problems are with features that have been around for over a decade - even the cheapest Android phone can do this properly.

Of course, it is virtually impossible to push the manufacturer into correcting this, b/c the response from a lot of people to any criticism tens to be is "dont buy FiiO, buy something else".    Which is a shame, cos for the most part, the staff from FiiO here ARE very approachable and this isnt doing them any favors:  I suspect that a large majority of NON Head-fi users WILL find this to be a problem as well.

Apr 8, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #6,351 of 19,652
An iPod Classic managed with Foobar2000 + foo_dop has flawless tagging, gapless playback, replaygain and will happily hold and perfectly index 25,000 lossy files. Attach it to an external amp (to bypass the weak internal amp and faulty equaliser) and you have a better solution for a large lossy collection than the X5 for the same price. If you're in lossy land there's not much to hate to be honest.

I doubt a lossy file will ever find its way onto mine when it arrives. Not what it's for.

I'm sure you're right, but it's still an iPod, and I don't really fancy lugging ANOTHER unit around with me all the time to make up for its short-comings.

I'm sure there are others out there who agree with me.

My music collection (of around 18-19000 songs) is a mixture of ogg, mp3, FLAC, WAV and a couple of others. I'm one of these people who wants and needs a one-box solution, with all my music in one place, and the option to increase capacity in future.

I know I'm not the only one with those needs, and buggered if I'm going to re-rip my entire collection in a lossless format, to only then be scuppered by not having enough memory. Again.

Apr 8, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #6,352 of 19,652

Sorry, but the only response I can think of is "Sez You".

There IS a problem here - that's why we are asking for FiiO to look into it and fix it.   Just because it is not a problem for YOU doesnt make it a universal truth.  

5800 files is quite easy to do with classical music and 2 128GB cards (which is the main reason for getting an X5 over a DX90 anyway).

Seriously - why do people feel the need to come out and pretend other people's issues are irrelevant???   

Apr 8, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #6,353 of 19,652
I'm not meaning to rile anyone, just saying that's not an unreasonable limit for a player of this type and capacity. Using standard 16/44 FLACs from CDs you will not be able to hit that limit on 64GB cards, let alone with HD files which are the player's stated purpose and functionally the reason you pay more than you would for an iPod Classic.
If many users have a problem with it, or even just if 128GB cards become more commonplace, I'm sure they'll have optimised the software more and be able to lift the limit.

Apr 8, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #6,354 of 19,652
I am pretty sure the database limit issue has been looking into, as they have responded to similar requests over at their own forum. For now, just organize you music in a sensible ways (i.e. albums in individual folders, etc) or use the file browser. It is not going to be the end of the world, just yet.

Apr 8, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #6,355 of 19,652
I'm not meaning to rile anyone, just saying that's not an unreasonable limit for a player of this type and capacity. Using standard 16/44 FLACs from CDs you will not be able to hit that limit on 64GB cards, let alone with HD files which are the player's stated purpose and functionally the reason you pay more than you would for an iPod Classic.

If many users have a problem with it, or even just if 128GB cards become more commonplace, I'm sure they'll have optimised the software more and be able to lift the limit.

Similarly, I wasn't wanting to seem like I was being a dick - my annoyance is squarely aimed at the companies not sorting out what should be problems of the past.

But the fact remains that not everyone has their entire music collection in a lossless format, and with the general DAP market seemingly going down the hi-def sound route, these are the types of players generally available to those of us with large music collections.

And the fact also remains that there are loads of (relatively) ancient players that don't have the same problem.

It's not too different from a new player with a screen not being able to show album art.

Apr 8, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #6,356 of 19,652

Probably not. Many of us from MP4Nation's 1st preorder batch are still waiting for them to get more units to ship for the rest of the first batch. I was told that they expected more units by the end of last week, but no word yet. If you are in US, I would try Head-Direct as they had some units shipped to them late last week and should be getting them in the next day or so. Try calling them in the morning.

The MP4Nation web site has the following text

The product is expected in stock by the end of 12/4/2014
Orders placed now will be for the stock arriving by 12/4/2014
As this is a preorder, delays may occur and the date shown is only for information, it may change without notice

Call them and aks, you might be lucky.

Yeah, when I placed my preorder on March 20, I was in the first batch when it showed March 29th shipping date. There were some delays cause of all the demand, they got one batch of a few units and partially filled the first preorder, but a bunch of us are still waiting. Hoping they get more this week. But as it stands, anyone ordering now in the "2nd Preorder" should know that the first preorder hasn't been totally fulfilled yet, and they've been taking orders for the second batch since March 22 or so. But, I'm thinking their second batch could be considerably larger and maybe fill the rest of the 1st and at least part of the 2nd batch if we're lucky. 

Apr 8, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #6,357 of 19,652
For several months now almost everyone on this thread was very pleased with the process and future product. Now that the product itself is presented and distributed it seems to me that just a few members are bashing FiiO/X5 at one 'missing feature'. FiiO has proven to listen to us in the past months and still does so I think it isn't fair at all and doesn't do justice to this thread.

What should be the limit anyway? I have a very large collection of High-Res/Flac albums but I wouldn't dare to ask Fiio to facilitate approximately 3TB on memory. 2 memory slots should be sufficient to store a lot of albums and it is very easy to copy/paste files. There maybe some other players that can store thousands of files, so if you are looking for that feature pleasse go elsewhere but I'm sure those players will not offer what you really need: Sound Quality!

Apr 8, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #6,358 of 19,652
For several months now almost everyone on this thread was very pleased with the process and future product. Now that the product itself is presented and distributed it seems to me that just a few members are bashing FiiO/X5 at one 'missing feature'. FiiO has proven to listen to us in the past months and still does so I think it isn't fair at all and doesn't do justice to this thread.

What should be the limit anyway? I have a very large collection of High-Res/Flac albums but I wouldn't dare to ask Fiio to facilitate approximately 3TB on memory. 2 memory slots should be sufficient to store a lot of albums and it is very easy to copy/paste files. There maybe some other players that can store thousands of files, so if you are looking for that feature pleasse go elsewhere but I'm sure those players will not offer what you really need: Sound Quality!

Your points are entirely reasonable.

BUT

Why big up ever expandable memory as a major feature when there's such a small file restriction in place???

Why is a decent sounding player WITH the ability to store more than 5800 files such an unreasonable ask?

As I keep saying, in the 21st century 5800 files is nothing.

Apr 8, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #6,359 of 19,652

thanks, we will try our best to listen and add any feature if we can. but sometimes we are limited by our ability , and sometimes we have to balance between some features. we will released more information about the limited of the database and the max sound tracks and sub folders

and the reason.

So, at least we will explain why we can't. and admit there are something out of our ability .

The end, it is easy thing for Apple to add a TF slot in iPhone or change to a big sreen for iPhone, or a replaceable battery for iPhone. but as a customers, you don't know all the information behind the iPhone and why they do that.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 8, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #6,360 of 19,652
Similarly, I wasn't wanting to seem like I was being a dick - my annoyance is squarely aimed at the companies not sorting out what should be problems of the past.

But the fact remains that not everyone has their entire music collection in a lossless format, and with the general DAP market seemingly going down the hi-def sound route, these are the types of players generally available to those of us with large music collections.

And the fact also remains that there are loads of (relatively) ancient players that don't have the same problem.

It's not too different from a new player with a screen not being able to show album art.

You have to look at it from FiiO's POV - they are only in the DAP market for 2 years or so, so they are only just learning to code their own firmware since they came into the market. Whatever history Apple, Google and Microsoft have is not going to help them much since they are wring their own firmware from the ground up with a small team of in house software engineer and a fairly limited budget. To say there is not much difference between every DAP is more or less naive to the situation. If coding is so easy, we won't have MacOS and Windows keep needing bugfix when both have been in the market for ages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back