The Fiio X5 Thread
Dec 15, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #2,176 of 19,652

Aesthetically-speaking, I'm not a fan, either, but if the X5 performs well, I will still buy it.

The reason for the design is here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-nov-4th-2013-and-feature-poll-added-for-future-successor/1800#post_9991514

Is not a cooker but they are 4 buttons? I didn't know,then that's okay,ugly but okay.
Thanks Mython,I will still buy it too.
beerchug.gif

Quickly cleared the table...

Dec 15, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #2,177 of 19,652

I don't care whether it's full screen or half screen - if it's $2,500 bucks they can stick it where the sun doesn't shine, and then what difference will the screen size make?
evil_smiley.gif

lol
i don't think it will be that grossly overpriced... but honestly there are headphones/earphones which i think are grossly overpriced as well, so i think the prices for DAPs in comparison isn't that bad.

Dec 15, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #2,179 of 19,652
To Joe,

Thank you for clearing out the OTG function. To me it is rather disappointing since I would love to get USB audio out instead of external storage (which I am almost sure I am not gonna use it). Anyway that's not the point of the dap. I hope that it sounds good, I might be settled down. First impressions were saying very very close to DX100? That's more than enough for me.

To be fair, I will be honest. I just read Centrance M8 can be paired with ZX1 and it is a B I G plus for me. Let's hope that FiiO X5 is game changer and even lack of possibility to pair with M8 can't be a deal breaker.

Or James and his team can add USB audio output with Firmware updates in future and we will have the best dap value ever.

Dec 15, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #2,181 of 19,652
  To Joe,

Thank you for clearing out the OTG function. To me it is rather disappointing since I would love to get USB audio out instead of external storage (which I am almost sure I am not gonna use it). Anyway that's not the point of the dap. I hope that it sounds good, I might be settled down. First impressions were saying very very close to DX100? That's more than enough for me.

To be fair, I will be honest. I just read Centrance M8 can be paired with ZX1 and it is a B I G plus for me. Let's hope that FiiO X5 is game changer and even lack of possibility to pair with M8 can't be a deal breaker.

Or James and his team can add USB audio output with Firmware updates in future and we will have the best dap value ever.

I'm a little confused here, does this mean you cant use it as a DAC via usb from the computer ? If the x3 can do it why not the x5 or is usb audio out different from this ??

Dec 15, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #2,182 of 19,652
  I'm a little confused here, does this mean you cant use it as a DAC via usb from the computer ? If the x3 can do it why not the x5 or is usb audio out different from this ??

Yes, it has an USB DAC/AMP function.

What I was pointing out is OTG (On to go) function. OTG wasn't clear whether it is to send Audio Out through USB or connect external storage through USB (like USB Keys, external harddrives etc). Joe cleared out it is to be used as USB external storage, so you can connect it with your usb keys and X5 will read them and you will be able to play the files in it.

Dec 15, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #2,184 of 19,652
  +2 > all we need is the USB-AO than storage. 2 slots is enough to shuffle 4-6 msd cards,we can live with it.

I am completely okay with micro sd card slots too, I don't even need to shuffle the cards. If the next generation 128 gb cards are compatible it is even better than a dream. So yeah, USB Audio Out would be the most welcome improvement in here.

James and FiiO is well known with their attitude against their customers, they always listen to us, try to make our dreams true. So I am saying, if it can be done by firmware update, why the hell not, give it to us, I am sure a lot of people would buy it just because of this feature.

Dec 15, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #2,185 of 19,652

Yes, it has an USB DAC/AMP function.

What I was pointing out is OTG (On to go) function. OTG wasn't clear whether it is to send Audio Out through USB or connect external storage through USB (like USB Keys, external harddrives etc). Joe cleared out it is to be used as USB external storage, so you can connect it with your usb keys and X5 will read them and you will be able to play the files in it.

Aha so you can use it as a dac say with a mobile phone ??? bypasing the phones inner dac ?

Dec 15, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #2,186 of 19,652
Purely out of curiosity, why are you both so keen for USB-AO?

What exactly are you hoping to accomplish by using this feature?

Cheers.

Dec 15, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #2,189 of 19,652

You can send the audio data from USB of X5 and connect it to any dac/amp with USB audio input (like Centrance M8 or Cypher Labs Theorem).

I am no expert in these things, so apologies if this is not the brightest question, but...  wouldn't the digital (co-axial) out be sufficient to pair the DAP with most of the worthy DACs and DAC/Amps out there.   Is there something lacking in the co-axial type outputs in DAPs?

Just curious to learn :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back