The Fiio X5 Thread
Nov 30, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #2,011 of 19,652
  This discussion has now got me a bit cold feet with the X5 purchase........ I thought it is supposed to be flagship...

On a personal note, I would consider anything with performance greater than the X3 to be flagship worthy. X3 is nearly there in terms of sound quality for me. I'm just looking for 15%~20% improvement for my $400. If I can get that I honestly will be out of the dap game for a couple years until things are just insanely better.

Dec 1, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #2,012 of 19,652

On a personal note, I would consider anything with performance greater than the X3 to be flagship worthy. X3 is nearly there in terms of sound quality for me. I'm just looking for 15%~20% improvement for my $400. If I can get that I honestly will be out of the dap game for a couple years until things are just insanely better.

I love my X3mod especially when I need the ultra portability for holiday trips. When setting it to High Gain to pair with my Fitear Parterre, the SQ is more than acceptable. If I wish to increase the sound quality, I can put an external amp to refine the sound even a bit more. For commuting to work, I am now used to carrying my HM901 balance. I am also looking for portable closed phones to fully utilize this DAP. As for the DX50, due to its insane library scanning feature I just gave up and use it purely as a coax out transport to desktop DAC or PB2/DB2 at home....

after this technical talk, I am just thinking if it is impossible to reach hifi quality on portable audio without making it a stack, it does make it hard to invest in this "upgrade".... On the bright side, the E12DIY amp should arrive this month... it should be fun.....

Dec 1, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #2,014 of 19,652
I am waiting on these and the hm802 to decide which one would be my huge ass transport gear to be used inside the car 

I read a review stating that 802 is for mid/vocal lover that the mid is more forward than 901 but treble extension is still not hifi.... I still cannot find anything to read about x5....

Dec 1, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #2,015 of 19,652
I read a review stating that 802 is for mid/vocal lover that the mid is more forward than 901 but treble extension is still not hifi.... I still cannot find anything to read about x5....

No problem here about the treble , since i actually hate most audiophile charasteristic like neutral earphone/amp/dac. I am fine with it being colored with lush vocals 

i hope they both sound great though, i dont really favour one over the other that much

Dec 6, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #2,018 of 19,652
The official announcement event of X5 will be next Saturday and Sunday (14-15) and take place at six different cities in China, and have to reserve seats if you want to join because there will be lucky draws with prizes like X5, X3, and E12....
tongue_smile.gif

Any head-fiers will or can join?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back