The Fiio X5 Thread
Nov 10, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #1,726 of 19,652
I'm now subbed to this thread because James announced that the X5 will have EQ.  It is a definite buy for me if it has parametric EQ.  I've got lots of FiiO products and will probably pair it up with the E12 as the size looks to be almost an exact match. 

Expandable memory, here I come!

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #1,727 of 19,652
I have a feeling that the X5 is going to be another success story in the Fiio's lineup.

Fiio has always improved tremendously when it introduces a successor to a previous device .eg. E12 and E17 were substantial improvements over their predecessors E11 and E7, respectively. They take note of anything and everything that wasn't right or needed improvement, and go about implementing it their next device.

Similarly, the X3 could very well have served as a stepping stone in the process of creating X5. Hence, we can all be assured that the X5 won't disappoint anyone (well, at least most of us). 

After going through various amps in the <$400 range, I still use the E12 as one of my primary headphone amps! So, I have high expectations for the X5, and I'm sure I'll not be disappointed.

Nov 11, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #1,728 of 19,652
Does anyone else think that the X5 poster looks awfully like the game art for the X series of space sims?

Nov 11, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #1,730 of 19,652
  Oh men.it makes more sense if you go with replaceable battery if you concern about the longevity of the device.

So pleased to see that there is at least one other person here who believes it would be a good idea for it to have a replaceable battery.

For everyone else, is it really a case of - when the X5's battery eventually diminishes (as all regularly charged & discharged batteries will do, within a couple of years) the answer seems to be just to dump it on some sucker on Ebay, and then use the part funds received towards buying the X5's successor? Honestly, is that really the reason why most folk are blissfully looking over the irreplaceable battery issue? I know we are living in a 'throwaway world', but I find it pretty sad that so few people seem to care about this. Sorry but I do.

Anyway, here's hoping EU regulation will one day force manufacturers of portable electronic devices to allow the use of generically sized replaceable batteries as standard. Besides, given how brilliant the very best which such replaceable batteries have become - such as the Eneloop XX series, there really is no good excuse to continue avoiding the issue of giving consumers replaceable batteries.

Nov 11, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #1,732 of 19,652
  Not at all. I thought it had a battery that could be replaced without soldering. We don't know how easy it will be to open the case etc. yet but I bet it's not too difficult.

But even if you're on the money, and it definitely could be replaced by prizing open its shell (warranty anyone?) I have a funny feeling we won't find your usual AA, AAA battery inside, i.e., your commonly found, inexpensive battery, of which it's so easy to buy another one. Still, please don't get me wrong. I'm most surely on the consumer's side on this issue.

What's more I've a Diamond Rio pmp 500 which plays as good as the day I bought it - and you know, its battery life couldn't be better - despite over 12 years' passing. Yes, that's 12 years!  Sure its 64mb memory is a joke now, but the laughing stops when you consider it will probably have more use in another 12 years than any of today's most esteemed players. Why? Because it runs off one standard generically sized, AA battery; and that's one very easily replaceable battery now, and surely will be for the rest of our lives! Too much to ask for, methinks not.

Nov 11, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #1,733 of 19,652
I just want to put my vote in for a replaceable battery. It makes sense and not having it is going to have people look elsewhere. Especially as these types of units get more common and competitive. The DX50 allows for a Samsung S3 replacement, so why not?

Nov 11, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #1,734 of 19,652
Seriously, we already talked about the whole battery thing a few months ago and there is no need to discuss it any more (*search the old posts please!), especially since the design has been finalized. Those of you who can't live with a removable battery will just have to move on.

Nov 11, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #1,736 of 19,652
  s it really a case of - when the X5's battery eventually diminishes (as all regularly charged & discharged batteries will do, within a couple of years) the answer seems to be just to dump it on some sucker on Ebay, and then use the part funds received towards buying the X5's successor? Honestly, is that really the reason why most folk are blissfully looking over the irreplaceable battery issue? I know we are living in a 'throwaway world', but I find it pretty sad that so few people seem to care about this. Sorry but I do.

Seriously, we already talked about the whole battery thing a few months ago and there is no need to discuss it any more. . . .

I completely agree with Disquisitive. I'm also not sure we've resolved the issue entirely.

Actually, I was rather confused by James' comments on the subject. Initially James assured us the X5's battery would be replaceable, albeit with slightly less ease than swapping a regular mobile phone battery. Later I got the impression he was backtracking, especially when he advocated the use of external power cells. He also explicitly stated that Fiio would be embracing sealed product designs.

Regards,
Brian

Nov 11, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #1,738 of 19,652

I completely agree with Disquisitive. I'm also not sure we've resolved the issue entirely.

Actually, I was rather confused by James' comments on the subject. Initially James assured us the X5's battery would be replaceable, albeit with slightly less ease than swapping a regular mobile phone battery. Later I got the impression he was backtracking, especially when he advocated the use of external power cells. He also explicitly stated that Fiio would be embracing sealed product designs.

Regards,
Brian

Maybe it's still user-replaceable, except the difficulty of swapping it out is far from the DX50 just swapping out an S3 battery, and closer to (but probably easier than) getting a battery kit for an iPod. It's not really that hard to do given they're bundled with a spatula. For extending playing time,  anyone with a smartphone is likely to have a powerbank anyway, and if you haven't got one yet, well, now you have potentially two devices to use it with.

Nov 11, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #1,739 of 19,652

Regards,
Brian

Maybe it's still user-replaceable, except the difficulty of swapping it out is far from the DX50 just swapping out an S3 battery, and closer to (but probably easier than) getting a battery kit for an iPod. It's not really that hard to do given they're bundled with a spatula. For extending playing time,  anyone with a smartphone is likely to have a powerbank anyway, and if you haven't got one yet, well, now you have potentially two devices to use it with.

As it has mentioned various times before, the battery is replaceable, just not swappable. It is not using an off-the-shelf smartphone battery since there is no smartphone battery that has large enough capacity (*Keep note that X5 battery is 76% larger the S3 / DX50 battery and 42% larger than S4 battery. Assuming X5 has 10 hours of playtime, you will get only 5.7 hours out S3 battery and 7 hours out of S4's battery). So if you want to replace the battery, you can contact FiiO and they will sell you one and you can replace it yourself, assuming you have the right tool and skill - or you can send it back and pay them to replace one for you.

The only way of using a smartphone battery is to accept a shorter operation time and a larger housing, There is no pleasing between maximizing battery capacity while keep the size down and easy battery swappability, FiiO just chooses one over the other at the end. That's why James said that if you really want to extend your battery life further, use a power bank. If you are willing to carry a secondary battery, then carrying a power bank shouldn't be that difficult to overcome. Not to mention most power bank should offer higher capacity than swappable battery anyway.

Nov 11, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #1,740 of 19,652

As it has mentioned various times before, the battery is replaceable, just not swappable. It is not using an off-the-shelf smartphone battery since there is no smartphone battery that has large enough capacity (*Keep note that X5 battery is 76% larger the S3 / DX50 battery and 42% larger than S4 battery. Assuming X5 has 10 hours of playtime, you will get only 5.7 hours out S3 battery and 7 hours out of S4's battery). So if you want to replace the battery, you can contact FiiO and they will sell you one and you can replace it yourself, assuming you have the right tool and skill - or you can send it back and pay them to replace one for you.

The only way of using a smartphone battery is to accept a shorter operation time and a larger housing, There is no pleasing between maximizing battery capacity while keep the size down and easy battery swappability, FiiO just chooses one over the other at the end. That's why James said that if you really want to extend your battery life further, use a power bank. If you are willing to carry a secondary battery, then carrying a power bank shouldn't be that difficult to overcome. Not to mention most power bank should offer higher capacity than swappable battery anyway.

There we go - no need to be afraid of dumping the X5 on eBay on some guy who can tinker with it.
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back