The Fiio X5 Thread
Mar 3, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #15,961 of 19,652
So if you guy´s just don´t like the wheel, maybe just do as a tester did; put some thick sticky tape so you will not loose the grip at the wheel.

For myself, I always try to care about my items and always use two fingers on the wheel. It´s not a discjockey player (like the 90´s rapper´s)!

People always look forward for something better- and why should´nt we? Otherwise we had´nt came this far today. But don´t forget to enjoy at the same you time dream of something better! Just think back about 10 - 15 years ago, when computer stuff release something new all the time. Just payed a lot of money those day´s, but it will cost to stay at the top!

/ Mikael Markstrom

Mar 3, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #15,962 of 19,652
I enjoyed my Sony Walkmen at that time, on eight wheels, but always dreamed of a better sound. I didn't expect it to come true on such a high level, with my whole music collection in a small box, heard through tiny earphones with better sound than every speaker or headphone system I've heard to date.

Mar 3, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #15,963 of 19,652
anyone noticed ever a burn in effect for fiio x5?

the SQ seems to be much much much better with less distortion, and in a general sense better after using it 4-6 hours a day for the last 7 months. 

or i adjusted to listening at lower volumes, and i seem to hear more details out of music.

Mar 3, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #15,964 of 19,652
Mar 5, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #15,966 of 19,652
anyone noticed ever a burn in effect for fiio x5?

the SQ seems to be much much much better with less distortion, and in a general sense better after using it 4-6 hours a day for the last 7 months. 

or i adjusted to listening at lower volumes, and i seem to hear more details out of music.

No. Depending on what you are driving, I expect there is less distortion when you turn it down.

Mar 5, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #15,967 of 19,652
Some have said that burn in for electronics is more our ears becoming accustomed to the electronics rather than the other way around.  I don't want to start another flame war about burn in but after the first few hours (some say minutes) there probably isn't much change in electronics. Tubes may be an exception here because they certainly do wear with time and eventually burn out so it's not unreasonable to expect their sound to change with time.  The heat they put out also has an impact on other components.  Back in the days before solid state, the materials used in electronics may have been more sensitive to the heat put out by tubes.  The concept of burn-in of electronics developed way back then, and is probably true today for tubed devices.

Listeners do report what they describe as burn-in on many devices and there's no arguing that they hear what they hear. Apparently just like DACs,  our hearing samples the sound and we analyze the samples,  Each time we sample a piece of music we tend to sample different parts of the piece and each time we have longer listening sessions we collect a different set of samples from all the pieces of music.  Thus in each session we hear different things and form different impressions but by the time 7 months has gone by we have sampled the whole range of most of what we listen to on that piece of equipment and we have become accommodated to, and familiar with, its sound so we don't notice the things that stood out at first.  Really expert reviewers probably have the ability to focus enough to sample exactly the same elements every time, but it's hard even for them.  Personally, I thought my X5 sounded awesome right out of the box and I like you have liked it more and more with time.  I have used it as a DAC and it compares favorably with a few more expensive stand alone DACs.  Maybe that says I am not a great listener.  Or maybe it says that there are other weak links in my system that don't allow me to hear the differences between the DACs.  Who knows?  Who cares if the music makes you happy?

Speakers, cans and IEMs are another story.  Being a moving mechanical device they do have to be "broken in"--that doesn't sound good does it?  Mechanical exercise is required to loosen up and stretch all the elastic parts and wear is required to break-in all the moving parts. Every device is different but 100 hrs is a commonly accepted standard for electromechanical transducers.

There's some really interesting information about our perceptions, hearing, break-in and ABX testing, etc over on the Sound Science section of Head-fi.  The whole thing is worth a read.

Mar 5, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #15,968 of 19,652
yes. but basically, making a headphone membrane or driver go for full flex out of the box can actually be worse than letting it burn in through few hours, as the plastic or materials become more and more flexible. i do not know for sure, but i would really start off with low volumes, to protect the new drivers, then let them loose over time, then let them touch their full potential. it is my theory that giving a driver at full flex can be as damaging as using it at over-volume, because as it is new, it can displace the driver. things should be taken nice and slow.

i asked, because i feel that my x5 is better and better, the more i listen to it. same goes for ie8... and i had had ie8 for 4 years, and only with x5, i think that they were worth the price.

Mar 5, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #15,969 of 19,652
Not so sure you can damage a driver with normal volumes, but I wouldn't use high volume until they've had some use.  The problem is manufacturers provide no data or instructions on this.  If they were getting a lot of early failures you'd have to think they would have researched it and found the problem.  It doesn't hurt to be cautious I suppose.

The X5 is a bargain at its price and competes favorably with more expensive players. It's a lot at the price.  

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #15,970 of 19,652
I want to pair my X5 with a Schiit Lyr amp, but it looks like there is left and right line in jack on the Lyr. What cable do I look into to convert a single line out to duel line in?

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #15,971 of 19,652
You can drive new headphones and speakers at full power from the start. This does no harm to them. Quite the opposite: they fulfill their break-in cycle faster that way.

I didn't notice any improvement with the sound of the X5. But I must say that I didn't care for it, because it sounded very good from the beginning. And I used it much more frequently with the Hugo than alone, so I couldn't really adapt to the sound of its headphone output.

I have experienced break-in with headphones (among others HD 600, K 701, HD 800) and burn-in with amps (among others Metaxas Solitaire power amp, some Meier Audio Cordas). And measured break-in with speakers.

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #15,972 of 19,652
Dumb question time.......  It seems that the X5 converts DSD to PCM on the fly based on some posts in this thread.  What rate is this occurring at?

If I am listening to the X5 through headphones, is it worth it to get DSD files?  I.e.. will the converted bitrate still be higher than a 24/192 FLAC?  Or is there not much point to getting DSD's (unless you already have them of course and just need a way to play them)

Mar 5, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #15,973 of 19,652
If you aks me: There's no sense in DSD at all. And most likely it will be converted to 88.2 or 176.4 kHz/24 bit.

Mar 5, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #15,974 of 19,652
  If you aks me: There's no sense in DSD at all. And most likely it will be converted to 88.2 or 176.4 kHz/24 bit.

it is to 88.2/24. for one reason or another. 

we all know that hdtracks also do not hold any usefull information within that would make them better when compared to redbook. I can think of a few ways of making audio better, but it involves changing recording, not changing mastering and file type.

The theory behind dsd means a new type of storage that takes more space, divides one second in much more parts than redbook, and every single part is a 0 or one. it is about a square wave, which is then considered noise, and this can be transformed into music. in theory, this should be better in sounding analog than redbook. In reality, i never noticed a difference. Hdtracks were more or less the same. most recordings on hdtracks were a little quieter, so less distortion, but not much different. specially megadeth was much quieter in hdtracks version, but all on all it was the same thing, not any detail or anything different... 

bottom line, i also think that dsd holds no real upper hand. 

Mar 5, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #15,975 of 19,652
  Dumb question time.......  It seems that the X5 converts DSD to PCM on the fly based on some posts in this thread.  What rate is this occurring at?

If I am listening to the X5 through headphones, is it worth it to get DSD files?  I.e.. will the converted bitrate still be higher than a 24/192 FLAC?  Or is there not much point to getting DSD's (unless you already have them of course and just need a way to play them)

I didn't check the rate - but this might interest

​
I also tried both DAPs with a couple of DSF files I own (Quiles and Cloud).  So the X5 playing converted to PCM, the X3ii playing natively.  I personally didn’t notice a difference in playback – they both sound pretty incredible (they are Blue Coast Records recordings – recommended!).

Highlighted bit was from a post in the X3 gen 2 thread comparing it to X5 (part of a bigger post comparison you can access HERE)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back