The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jan 30, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #17,206 of 17,484
Thanks for the tips - I've managed to work out how to do the firmware update now.

I'm going to get some good sounding cans for my birthday so that gives me a few months to decide, and opens up my budget nicely as I'm sure I can ask my parents to go halves on something, which means I can probably go to £300 ($370)

In the meantime which would you say would be a good interim pair - AKG K550 or Audio Technica ATH M50x?

Jan 30, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #17,207 of 17,484
  Thanks for the tips - I've managed to work out how to do the firmware update now.

I'm going to get some good sounding cans for my birthday so that gives me a few months to decide, and opens up my budget nicely as I'm sure I can ask my parents to go halves on something, which means I can probably go to £300 ($370)

In the meantime which would you say would be a good interim pair - AKG K550 or Audio Technica ATH M50x?

I haven't heard the K550 but they look well made; the M50X are essentially all plastic but are super robust in that they have survived both my children.  However the K550 don't fold up into a nice small package like the M50X do.  Perhaps that's important to you?

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #17,208 of 17,484

If you are using as a portable and need to swap cables then the M50x would be the better choice, its also the more comfortable of the 2 but might want to get some shure velour pads.  The K550 is a better sounding headphone but its dependent on if you can get a good seal with the ear pads.

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #17,209 of 17,484
Hi all, I would like to seek advice regarding my upgrade from a Fiio X3 1st gen that I am currently using. I am looking at potentially an iBasso DX90 - will this be a substantial upgrade from the X3? I do like clean, bright audio coming out from a DAP, and I am not sure if there will be any significant difference between these two players. If not, is there any other mid-tier DAPs to recommend? I have recently tried the Opus #1, and while it is definitely better-sounding than the X3, the significant price increase is not something I am prepared for (at least for now).

Will appreciate any advice, thanks!

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #17,210 of 17,484
Hi all, I would like to seek advice regarding my upgrade from a Fiio X3 1st gen that I am currently using. I am looking at potentially an iBasso DX90 - will this be a substantial upgrade from the X3? I do like clean, bright audio coming out from a DAP, and I am not sure if there will be any significant difference between these two players. If not, is there any other mid-tier DAPs to recommend? I have recently tried the Opus #1, and while it is definitely better-sounding than the X3, the significant price increase is not something I am prepared for (at least for now).

Will appreciate any advice, thanks!

There is this: https://flash.newegg.com/product/9SIA3JX3VY0163?SID&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-VigLink-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=12087162&PID=6146845&SID=iyku9c8hj2000k6o020oo&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-VigLink

Or

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fiio-x3-2nd-generation-player

Feb 12, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #17,212 of 17,484
On my first gen X3, there is a tiny audible click in the headphones, when adjusting the treble or bass through the zero position. Does this indicate it is bypassing the tone controls through a micro relay or something? What I'm trying to say is, is the sound signal path more direct with both controls at zero?

Feb 13, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #17,213 of 17,484
Hmm so my fiio X3 player has been working perfectly since I bought it. Just ran into issues today I always use it as a dac but now when I connect it to my computer it doesn't work. It boots up then displays a black screen with the battery icon and shuts off. The odd thing is if I boot it normally while not connected to the computer it shows the battery is full.

Feb 13, 2017 at 3:17 AM Post #17,215 of 17,484
  Hmm so my fiio X3 player has been working perfectly since I bought it. Just ran into issues today I always use it as a dac but now when I connect it to my computer it doesn't work. It boots up then displays a black screen with the battery icon and shuts off. The odd thing is if I boot it normally while not connected to the computer it shows the battery is full.

That sounds like it isn't getting the data from the PC. Exactly the same things happens to me if I use a cable that is for power only. Maybe one of the 2 wires that do data in your USB cable have got damaged. You could try with another cable and see if that sorts it out.

Feb 13, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #17,216 of 17,484
On my first gen X3, there is a tiny audible click in the headphones, when adjusting the treble or bass through the zero position. Does this indicate it is bypassing the tone controls through a micro relay or something? What I'm trying to say is, is the sound signal path more direct with both controls at zero?

I'm not quite sure how to answer the first part but the sounds would always be more direct if you don't boost anything. It is a hardware based treble and bass boost from the E17 so as it isn't software, that may be one reason why you get a slight click. But I really don't know about these things.

Feb 23, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #17,217 of 17,484
Greetings. I NEED SOME HELP PLEASE.

I just recently joined this website so I could look for some answers to this trouble that I've been experiencing.

I have had my Fiio X3 2nd Gen for about a year and a half now. Other than the scroll wheel getting so sloppy to be basically unusable, I've had no trouble with the unit.

About four nights ago I tried to add some more music to the player. (I only use it to listen to flac files in folders.) I plugged it into the USB of my iMac and wondered why I didn't see the Fiio icon on my desktop. After waiting a bit I unplugged the unit and turned it on. Immediately I got a grey screen with the error message 'File system not support'. It alternated between that message and a black screen. I ejected the card and it changed to read 'Waiting sd card.

I was using a Sandisk Pixtor 64 gig card, which was formatted in the X3 when it was new. I've never had a problem with the card, or the player previously.

I contacted customer support at Fiio. They sent me a software update, which I couldn't get to work with the 64 gig card. I also have a 4 gig card from my Tascam DR100mkII, which I erased and reformatted in my iMac, making sure it was FAT32. I then added the x3II.fw upgrade file to the card and followed Fiio's instructions: I inserted the card in the X3, then held down the shortcuts button while simultaneously pushing the power button.

The X3 turned on and began to update the software. When it finished it briefly flashed the 'update complete' message, and then started the upgrade all over again. It did this 15 times in a row before I forced it to shut down by pushing a paper clip into the reset hole and pushing the power button simultaneously.

When I emailed Fiio to tell them this, they said that it was not normal. They said I could either send it back to Fiio in China for repair, which would take a long time, or I could send it off to somewhere in the US and along with $70 get a refurbished unit in return.

My X3 has been well cared for and never dropped, or otherwise mistreated. I worry about getting a used replacement, but I also fear it could take six months to a year to get my unit back from China.

Has anyone experienced this same trouble before? I don't have the time to look though all 1147 pages of this thread to see if this has been covered before, so apologies if this is a common problem.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

It seems to be a software issue. Can this be resolved or should I buy a new X3? I really hoped this would last longer than 18 months.

Thank you for any and all advice,

Jeff

(Should I look for another manufacturer? I need a player that supports gapless flac playback, has a line out, and good sound.)

Feb 24, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #17,218 of 17,484
Have you tried doing a factory reset on your 2nd gen X3? Maybe do this and then try updating the software again. If it still has issues, then it is clearly a fault with the device.

It is a shame that the wheel on your player hasn't lasted. I've never been a fan of that sort of design. I also don't like touch screen on music players. I've got the original X3 which is all operated by 6 buttons and they all feel just as solid and work just as well as when I got it. I think I've had it over 3 years now.

I would ask on this thread though: http://www.head-fi.org/t/743704/the-fiio-x3-2nd-gen-ex-x3k-x3ii-thread-192k-24b-cs4398-native-dsd-usb-dac-with-lo-and-inline-remote/9585

It seems much more active than this thread is now and it is actually the official thread for the X3 2nd Gen. It will have been the best place to ask in the first place as I don't think you will have waited as long to get a response.

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #17,219 of 17,484
Yes, I have. The only way I can turn off the X3 now is to hold in the factory reset with a paper clip and hold the power switch for at least 15 seconds. Otherwise it will not shut off.

Thanks for the advice. I don't understand why it's doing the things that it's doing. I really like the X3 and am upset that I can't use it.

Fiio Customer Support says to push the shortcuts button 'in serial'. I guess that means repeated pressings, but it's hard to understand some of their advice because of the language barrier.

Do you think I should send it back to China for repair, pay the $70 for a refurbished one with an exchange, or just buy a new one?

I did think it odd that the X3 has no serial #. If I send it to China how am I supposed to know if I get my original unit back? 

I'll look at the other thread. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jeff

Mar 21, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #17,220 of 17,484
Hope someone can help me here. I have an ifi micro black label, a dead use my x3i as a transport via coax. What I'd like to find is a solid piece, maybe 6 inches to go from the "coaxial out" to the coax in on the micro. The ifi has a regular coaxial in (rca style). I currently use the Fiio adapter connected to a short rca, it works but it's ugly and too long. Will any 3.mm to single rca work? Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back