The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jul 2, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #16,291 of 17,484
I used to have the iAudio X5L which was very good for the time. That had Rockbox and the UI was way better than the X3. That had equalizer and it was more effective than the X3 but there was still a huge drop in volume when it was in use. I don't think it is that unusual. Not that I ever use this, but I I have EQ for my headphone socket on my PC and the EQ on pulse audio for that also drops the volume when it is enabled.

The X3 is a much better player over all though in terms of sound quality and volume.

Jul 2, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #16,293 of 17,484
I am not bothered at all due to the volume drop, all eq'd devices I've had do this.  It makes sense, but is not what I am referencing at all.
The custom eq disables itself when the unit is turned off, and I have to turn it on again each time I power up.  It says its on, but it's not engaged.  Turn to "off" then back to "custom" and magically it engages again.  

No one when finds this?  I find that hard to believe that of all X3's on 3.34b, only mine does this.  

Jul 2, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #16,294 of 17,484
  None of the Sonys and Cowons drop volume when EQ is on. Let alone Creative, Philips, Samsung, etc.

Yes this is getting into a little bit of an argument but my X5L is the cowon iaudio X5L with Rockbox.
To adjust the bass or treble on it, it goes to +24 and -24 and each time you do a step up in bass, the way it does it is it makes everything but the bass quieter. To me, this makes perfect sense and many other devices I have used do it a similar way. As you say though, not everything does.

Just don't say none of the Cowons do it this way unless you have tried every single one of their players!

Jul 2, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #16,295 of 17,484
  I am not bothered at all due to the volume drop, all eq'd devices I've had do this.  It makes sense, but is not what I am referencing at all.
The custom eq disables itself when the unit is turned off, and I have to turn it on again each time I power up.  It says its on, but it's not engaged.  Turn to "off" then back to "custom" and magically it engages again.  

No one when finds this?  I find that hard to believe that of all X3's on 3.34b, only mine does this.  

Juts checked now, I do have the same issue. But I really don't mind as I don't use it. It isn't only you though then.

Jul 5, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #16,296 of 17,484
I have a X1 and thinking about upgrading to Fiio X3(1st Gen). The main attraction is the hardware Eq. When I am pairing X1 with bassy IEMs, I feel everything is congested and clarity is not that great. But brighter IEMs pairs well with my X1. So I am wondering it would be a good idea to upgrade to X3 for pairing with my bassy IEMs. Please advise ..

Jul 5, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #16,297 of 17,484
  I have a X1 and thinking about upgrading to Fiio X3(1st Gen). The main attraction is the hardware Eq. When I am pairing X1 with bassy IEMs, I feel everything is congested and clarity is not that great. But brighter IEMs pairs well with my X1. So I am wondering it would be a good idea to upgrade to X3 for pairing with my bassy IEMs. Please advise ..

I think not ... X3 2nd gen. or X5 would be better choice i guess ... because the x3 classic is bassy player too

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #16,300 of 17,484
Og X3 is indeed bassy, dark and warm. But still is a great player.
If you want more refinement, more details and balance, go for the 2nd gen X3.
The bass mainly depends on the hps/iems you use. You do not necessarily need hw eq.
M-100 for example is bassy enough without any eq... I do not think M100 would be a good match with the og X3, as that is dark and bassy enough. But with the more treble focused and more refined and detailed 2nd gen they make a great pairing.

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #16,301 of 17,484
Yes it is a grew player and I love it .. But the guy have already x1 and it is considered more neutral than the original x3 .. So x3 would be a debatable suggestion and kinda will depend on luck in pairing with his setup ... I own x3 and Walkman A-15 if I have a bassy or warm iem I would go definitely for the Walkman ... Or as I suggested before x3II.. x5II
Of course the best method is by trying by himself with his gear if possible

Jul 5, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #16,302 of 17,484

Yes this is getting into a little bit of an argument but my X5L is the cowon iaudio X5L with Rockbox.
To adjust the bass or treble on it, it goes to +24 and -24 and each time you do a step up in bass, the way it does it is it makes everything but the bass quieter. To me, this makes perfect sense and many other devices I have used do it a similar way. As you say though, not everything does.

Just don't say none of the Cowons do it this way unless you have tried every single one of their players!

I've tried so many that thought they were all the same thing.

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #16,303 of 17,484
  X3 is indeed bassy but does a great job with bassy IEMs like the FX700 too. Actually using more neutral IEMs and its warm nature does wonders, as well as the bass hardware EQ for those IEMs, but worked like a champion for basshead IEMs before.

+1, It's a champion with the HaviB3P1 and other cooler iems.

Jul 6, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #16,305 of 17,484
So, what's the best firmware version thus far? I've not been following this thread ever since my subscriptions have mysteriously stopped emailing me. I think I'm currently on 3.20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back