The Fiio X3 Thread.
Sep 10, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #12,781 of 17,484
There's definitely not more bass from the HO out on 3.2 and I cannot recall reading anyone else that says so.

Sep 10, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #12,782 of 17,484
Please note that X3 firmware version 3.20 is not "beta" firmware, it is production firmware intentionally put on the new X3s.

As for the question of new vs old X3s: we have not made any design changes to the X3. However, in the course of more than a year of production of the same model, we have inevitably had to make one or two implementational changes to the production of the unit, mainly relating to inevitable changes in the electronics parts supplied (since as we all know, computer electronics is such a fast moving industry that 1 year may be like an eternity for some electronic components' product lifecycles, so some parts we had been using get phased out and replaced by "functional equivalents..." that turn out not to be so equivalent...). Firmware 3.2 deals with coping with such changes and make no documented changes to the actual workings of the unit to the end user. It is however backwards compatible, as all future X3 firmware will be. Nor do these implementational changes affect the sound quality of the unit, as these are affected by analogue parts not affected by the churning computer industry, or the DAC, which remains the same on all X3s.

smily_headphones1.gif

When you say sound quality was not affected, do you also mean sound signature?  Because I can say with certainty that FW 3.2 is brighter than 3.0.  I am not complaining, I am actually enjoying it.  I may have to switch back and and forth to figure out which one I prefer more but right now, it's 3.2 for me.

Sep 10, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #12,786 of 17,484
fw 3.2 brings more balanced sound to the table

fw 2.xx - bassy - more warmer - superb for on the go listening

3.0 - bass  a bit lowered and smoother sound- towards balanced sound

3.2 - more balanced

difference is very apparent for me with my shure se215 spe 'coz thay have rolled off treble

just my perception

my he400 is rocking now
gs1000.gif

Sep 10, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #12,787 of 17,484
I could be wrong on this because it has been a while ago...  
but I think what happen'd was when Fiio suggested using the E12 amp with the X5 player they dial'd back the sound signature of the X5  to accommodate the E12 and its bass boost...  
and at the same time because others will use the X3 with the E12, it too was dial'd back to work with the E12 bass boost...  

Hope I'm not giving out bad info but thats the way I remember the time frame when both sound signatures changed....

I do have the X3 X5 E12 combo and both work well with each other...  the bass boost is not over done with either X3 or X5 with this firmware version using the E12...
and for those that don't have the E12... then I guess you use the EQ adjustment if required....

Sep 10, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #12,790 of 17,484
I could be wrong on this because it has been a while ago...  
but I think what happen'd was when Fiio suggested using the E12 amp with the X5 player they dial'd back the sound signature of the X5  to accommodate the E12 and its bass boost...  
and at the same time because others will use the X3 with the E12, it too was dial'd back to work with the E12 bass boost...  

Hope I'm not giving out bad info but thats the way I remember the time frame when both sound signatures changed....

I do have the X3 X5 E12 combo and both work well with each other...  the bass boost is not over done with either X3 or X5 with this firmware version using the E12...
and for those that don't have the E12... then I guess you use the EQ adjustment if required....

I don't recall this ever happening.

Sep 10, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #12,791 of 17,484
Argh, the 3.2 firmware is displaying wrong song info when restarting the unit. Also it does not play the song I left off. So 3.2 still has some (new) bugs.

Sep 10, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #12,793 of 17,484
Argh, the 3.2 firmware is displaying wrong song info when restarting the unit. Also it does not play the song I left off. So 3.2 still has some (new) bugs.

Works just fine here, you did turn on resume mode - last position after loading the fw?

Sep 10, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #12,794 of 17,484
I did indeed @peter123 
After loading the 3.2 firmware all settings are default, so Resume is off.

Sep 10, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #12,795 of 17,484

Users who are viewing this thread

Back