The Fiio X3 Thread.
Apr 5, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #9,151 of 17,484
Connecting an amp through line out would give you a better sound most of the time. I am just saying the line out of X3 is not as clean as something like X5. This may hinder the improvement you can get (slightly). Therefore I am not sure if an expensive amp will suit X3 as it may not be able to perform 100%.

Okay - I did misunderstand slightly. FWIW, I'm very happy with my EHP-O2 - but I've only had it about 24 hours! I also have a PA2V2 which struggles a bit with the X3's line out which is a bit more "forceful" than your average MP3 player - I really enjoy it for quieter tracks which don't push it, but it's not so good when it starts clipping (obviously...). For me, the headphone out isn't quite as good as the line out so I prefer the O2 for the X3. But I really am a newbie so you probably shouldn't listen to me other than to note that the X3 line out is pretty loud.....

Apr 5, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #9,152 of 17,484
You can't blame the "Clipping" on your PA2V2 cMoy on the X3's industry standard Line Out level's... I can't understand for the life of me why people have this desire to plug the X3 into these underpowered amplifiers and expect decent sound. The headphone output jack of the X3 has twice the power of the PA2V2, so why would you even bother?

When you connect the Line Out of the X3 to proper gear that has the connections for a line stage input, the X3 goes head to head with much higher end gear. Many trade shows had the X3 driving $15K+ gear and people were amazed that it is the X3 as the source.

Apr 5, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #9,153 of 17,484
  You can't blame the "Clipping" on your PA2V2 cMoy on the X3's industry standard Line Out level's... I can't understand for the life of me why people have this desire to plug the X3 into these underpowered amplifiers and expect decent sound. The headphone output jack of the X3 has twice the power of the PA2V2, so why would you even bother?

When you connect the Line Out of the X3 to proper gear that has the connections for a line stage input, the X3 goes head to head with much higher end gear. Many trade shows had the X3 driving $15K+ gear and people were amazed that it is the X3 as the source.

Don't get me wrong - I agree with you. I was just trying to make pretty much the same point - that the X3 line out is a proper line out.

Apr 5, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #9,154 of 17,484
Can't wait for the new firmware update to come out. I've been enjoying my X3 since I got it except for some of the UI problems, mainly with gapless. I could do without the bright orange but otherwise it looks nice!

Apr 5, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #9,157 of 17,484
Hi!

I'm thinking of buying the X3, but I have a question I couldn't find the answer to in the forum.

Is it possible to use the X3 simultaneous (1) as a USB-DAC/AMP between laptop and headphones, (2) as a portable storage containing files to be played by the laptop (e.g. through Foobar) ànd (3) while charging (or not) the X3 from the laptop's USB-port?

Maybe this is a lot to ask for and maybe it needs some explanations...
redface.gif

For the moment, for portable listening, I have a Sansa Fuze.
I was thinking of buying a E18 as an external USB-DAC/AMP for my laptop, as it's headphone-output is not good and gives hiss with some headphones.
Now that I've read reviews and other info on this forum, I'm thinking of buying the X3 instead. I will loose the E18's Android-compatibility, but the X3 could be used as a USB-DAC/AMP to carry around all the time, upgrading my Fuze at the same time. ( I am still very happy with my Sansa Fuze (on Rockbox), but this would cancel the need to carry 2 pieces of equipment (DAP ànd DAC/AMP)! )

However, I've read somewhere that, when connecting the X3 to a computer, you have to choose between 'storage' and 'DAC'.
Will the X3 draw power from the computer's USB-port to play and/or charge in both modes?
Does this also mean that it is impossible to use the X3 as a USB-DAC/AMP and playing music from it (through your computer) at the same time?

This might seem like a strange question, but I thought of doing the following:
When on the road (e.g. train), I could use the X3 only, as a DAP replacing my Sansa Fuze.
When working on my laptop, I would connect the X3 to its USB-port and I could select songs both from the X3 ànd the computer's internal HD and put them in one single play-list in Foobar, using the X3 as storage ànd sound card at the same time.
This way, there would also be no need to use my laptop's small SSD-storage-space for my music, as I could put it all on the X3...

Apr 5, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #9,158 of 17,484
Wow that's quite the book... :D

No its either DAC or Storage...

External HD's are small and cheap...

1TB HD with your music, Foobar2K from the laptop out the X3 (DAC Mode) to your headphones.

Later if the X3 gets some OTG capabilities you'll plug the HD into the X3 to play all your tunes when mobile... Battery pack not included. :D

Apr 5, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #9,159 of 17,484
Just curious why you would keep using your fuse after you got your X3? You could only carry one device that way. You mentioned upgrading the fuse by using the X3 as a dac. Maybe I read it wrong... It is a lot to take in.

Apr 5, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #9,160 of 17,484
Does the line out of the X3 deserves to get a top of the line amp like Rsa for example or that will be an overkill????
they get a RSA amp for the iPod and I think the X3 have far better line out from all aspects

Apr 5, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #9,161 of 17,484
Wow that's quite the book...
biggrin.gif

No its either DAC or Storage...

External HD's are small and cheap...

1TB HD with your music, Foobar2K from the laptop out the X3 (DAC Mode) to your headphones.

Later if the X3 gets some OTG capabilities you'll plug the HD into the X3 to play all your tunes when mobile... Battery pack not included.
biggrin.gif

Yup, this is how I play tunes off my laptop - except I use Musicbee  instead of F2K. Works great for me at home, not too sure what sort of battery life you'd get on the road though. When the X3 is plugged in it does draw power to charge so that'll shorten the laptop battery life. The battery in my laptop is screwed some I can't venture from AC for more than 10 min.
Waiting for OTG so i can ditch the PC altogether (although MB is a much better music manager than the Fiio firmware)

Apr 5, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #9,165 of 17,484

sometimes people are not to get bigger power by a headphone amp. they just need different sound , for example, change from warm sound to cool sound, which is nothing about power output.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back